A999 torque converter - lock up

Aspen500

Reaction score
Ahh, the joys of pulling the engine out of a van.:confused: I suppose you can take some liberty's though, seeing as how the van is getting scrapped.

Off topic a hair: You don't know the ultimate joy of pulling the ventilated block diesel (engine go BOOM) from a 2008 Dodge Sprinter van and putting a used one back in at work. Added bonus was the crankcase oil went EVERYWHERE. Nice black diesel oil. Blech. If I NEVER have to do that again, it'll be too soon, just saying.:eek:

Camtron

Reaction score
Ahh, the joys of pulling the engine out of a van.:confused: I suppose you can take some liberty's though, seeing as how the van is getting scrapped.

Off topic a hair: You don't know the ultimate joy of pulling the ventilated block diesel (engine go BOOM) from a 2008 Dodge Sprinter van and putting a used one back in at work. Added bonus was the crankcase oil went EVERYWHERE. Nice black diesel oil. Blech. If I NEVER have to do that again, it'll be too soon, just saying.:eek:
Lol, I do not.
Just to go a hair further off topic, you don’t know the hilarity of seeing someone fail to properly connect the dump valve coupler on a jumbo jet to clean out the lavatory tanks, lol. In the middle of a polar vortex no less. God damn I miss working at the airport.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
There are three ways to remove the engine from a B-van:
From above (engine only). You will need to remove one or both seats first and access to a cherry picker.
From the front (engine or engine/transmission). This might be the most labor intensive method and requires a cherry picker with a very short chain.
From below (engine and transmission): The way the factory installed the engine/transmission/K frame/suspension was from below, as an assembly. This will be the least time intensive method (ie: easiest). The down side is working with coil springs – which is not for the faint of heart for first timers. After engine is removed, the K-frame can be reinstalled to make the van, a roller.
BudW

Note: I don't think that has a Dana 60, but is a 9¼” differential. It would have to be a heavy ¾ ton or a 1 ton van to have a D60 – neither is seen without windows and several rows of seats.

Camtron

Reaction score
Coming out through the front. It’s pretty easy to get the front clip pulled off these vans and I fortunately have a cherry picker with a single link of chain and a hook on the end. It’s been a productive afternoon.

AFB3DF4D-89F7-4687-89F9-21975D825110.jpeg

SlantSixSullivan

Reaction score
I know this thread is months old, but I found a higher-than-stock stall converter for $150 from Florida Torque Converters, part number 12-H. If you want factory stall speed, 12-L is the number.

I have not ordered from them yet; I have other things to do first. However, it may be worth your while to give them a ring and ask about it. Supposedly it's an in-stock item, no need to have your custom built, although they probably want your core. Cheers, good luck

Back