Abandoned Volare and Aspen

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Not far from my house there is an old farm with two abandoned F wagons. One is a dark green '76/'77 Aspen, and the other is a copper '76/'77 Volare. I managed to get a shot of the Aspen, but I didn't want to trespass to get a good pic of the Volare. Both have been sitting there for years.

IMG_20210402_095706250.jpg

Theres also a lichen covered '56 Belvedere four door that has been sitting there forever. I remember seeing it sitting there as my school bus went past when I was in elementary school - long ago. You can see the Volare in the background next to a '68 Falcon wagon.

IMG_20210402_095659878.jpg

IMG_20210402_095937480.jpg

There's also a '49 Kaiser Vagabond that has been sitting next to the road for as long as I can remember. It has the unique trunk lid that folds down, and the back window lifts up like a hatchback! I would bet is it quite rare. There's also an old Ford van, an ancient GMC panel wagon, and a smashed Jeep. Someday I might stop and talk with the guy and see if he would let me take a closer look.

IMG_20210402_095901975.jpg

IMG_20210402_095828485.jpg

IMG_20210402_095844554.jpg

old yellow 78

Reaction score
lets save them!
Since they have been sitting there since I was in elementary school (at least the Kaiser and the 57 Belvedere) I think they are considered by the owner as permanently installed lawn art. They were originally abandoned there by the man's father who passed away years ago. When I get a chance, I might stop to ask him about them and take some better pictures. I also go past a woods where from the road you can see there is a '46-7-8 Chrysler coupe and another car (possibly an old '40's GM) sitting for decades way back in there. I've always wanted to stop and go back in there to take some pics, but I'm actually afraid of getting shot.

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
a large part of me really wants a 50s car. not sure if i'm ready for that. i hear they loose brakes in the rain. when you say you used to ride past that thing in elementary school how many years ago are we talking?

Aspen500

Reaction score
They lose brakes in heavy rain or after driving through deep puddles. I've had a few cars with 4 wheel drum and it will take you off guard. The brakes come back after a short distance, once the heat dries the water and you get the friction coefficient back. All you need to do is lightly apply the brakes from time to time, especially after going through 3 inches of water to keep them heated up and dried out. Or,,,,,,,,,,convert to front disc.

My first car was a 1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe with 4 wheel manual 10" drum brakes. Even in the dry, stopping was a combination of brakes and downshifting (4-speed) and the brakes were as good as they were when the car was new. Coming off a freeway ramp was always scary, especially the downhill ones. Brake fade will definitely cause sphincter tightening, lol. Pedal goes solid and the car seems to almost speed up.

Back