AC delete pulley?

HamishMcKinney

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m trying to get my 82 Diplomat running so I can bracket race it and just cruise around. (The first race I won was in my old 85. So very sentimental to race another Diplomat) well since it’s too late for long story short, I’m wondering if there is an AC delete pulley available anywhere. No need for me to have AC, so I’m just putting feelers out there. Thanks for any and all advice on this.

-Nick

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Use a “power steering belt” as it’s the right length.

0653BBB9-6A83-4647-8725-9FAB18C9F08B.png

Duke5A

Reaction score
This is the way. A lot of aftermarket pumps don't even have the rib that needs to be clearanced.

Prospect62

Reaction score
You can get the pulley you need off any 80's Dakota with the 3.9 V6 and no A/C.

I ran one on my old 87 Gran Fury, worked great. There's a right way and a wrong way to do everything. This would be the right way to delete AC if you needed or wanted to for whatever reason.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
You can get the pulley you need off any 80's Dakota with the 3.9 V6 and no A/C.

I ran one on my old 87 Gran Fury, worked great. There's a right way and a wrong way to do everything. This would be the right way to delete AC if you needed or wanted to for whatever reason.
Care to elaborate on how there’s a right way and a wrong way to accomplish an AC delete?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The no-A/C cars (that normally use the C-171 A/C compressor) use a bracket that has an idler pulley attached to it), that bolts in place of the A/C compressor. That way Ma Chrysler could use one set of pulleys and brackets for all small block cars (and V-6 pickup/van/Dakotas). The bolt in bracket works great if you are in a pinch (and if you have one).
The problem is finding a no-A/C vehicle to get one from - which means looking for a donor vehicle from up North (most likely) - for I have only seen a few of them around (in pictures).
In Oklahoma, you haveta have A/C.

long term, if you do not plan on re-installing A/C and if you are racing the car, the best option is find an '70-78ish small block with-out A/C and get the pulleys/brackets from it. it will simplify EVERYTHING, look much neater and reduce a lot of weight.
Look at how much simpler this stock (no-A/C) setup looks (from my '77 wagon):
20170803_114543.jpg

BudW

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Full size trucks also have the delete pulley.
There's right vs wrong way doing this. One plus not using the delete pulley, well 2, is not having to track it down and one less part to have problems because the bearings do go bad in them. It also simplifies what's on the front of the engine.

Back