Alibaba new car engines

Jokes / Humor / Funny Stuff

1. SixBanger

SixBanger Well-Known Member

2. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

It doesn’t surprise me seeing Chinese repops of these (or similar items).

The biggie for me is cost vs. quality. It says “High Quality” in the ad, but typically “Chinese made and High Quality” are two completely different things.
    Now “Japanese made and High Quality” (or substitute several other country’s name for Japan) and you might have something.

Back in the mid ‘80’s, Hyundai was making their breakout car and the powertrain (engine and transmission) they used was licensed from Mitsubishi. The Hyundai version was called Excel and rebadged Mitsubishi version was the Precis.

The 1.5L 4-cylinder engine made by Hyundai (South Korea) was the same that Mitsubishi (Japan) used in their Mirage. If you had engine parts laid side by side, it was a night and day difference in both casting and in the machine work. The parts would all interchange, but most Mitsubishi dealers would use the Japanize versions for replacements (it was that much of a difference).

I think it was the late ‘90’s Hyundai made a huge change in their manufacturing with a swing towards making quality parts – and shortly after that time they went to a 10 year/100k mile powertrain warranty. The early parts (‘80’s and early ‘90’s) were a few levels above, um, well crap.
    The newer stuff is much better (but still not something I would put under my hood).

Getting back to my point, I would suspect the Chinese parts mentioned are probably a few steps below the cheaper made ‘80’s made Hyundai parts which would place it about equal (= to) horse excrement (I suspect) – in my opinion only.
    BudW

3. kkritsilas

kkritsilas Well-Known Member

in Canada, the first car Hyundai sold was called the Pony. It made a Yugo look like it was made during the good days at Mrcedes. Most didn't make it past 3 years, from body rust to mechanical issues.

4. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

Made in China along with a price that's unreasonably low, I'd stay away from them (JMO).
    I remember those Hyundai's from the 1980's. Calling them POS's is an insult to POS's. You're right, about 3 years was it, maybe 4 if you don't live in a rust state. They seem to have improved just a tad since then! There are always exceptions, I still see a couple 1980's Hyundai's on the road and they look to be in good condition. Gee, they didn't copy Mercedes styling did they? LOL Of course, they still seem to copy, Kia also. Not sure what the model is but, there's a current model Kia that looks almost exactly like a Taurus.

5. kkritsilas

kkritsilas Well-Known Member

Hyundai owns Kia (used to be separate companies at one time). if you look carefully, you can see Kia equivalents of all the Hyundai models.

6. Aspen500

I did know that. Funny thing is, Hyundai and Kia can't be in the same dealership. They can be side by side but have to be separated. Odd. Here, Hyundai and Kia used to be in the same building with a shared service area. Now Hyundai is in Rib Mt with Audi and VW, across the street from Chevy, about a mile from my house and Kia is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up on the north side about 8 miles away, next to Ford/Lincoln, Subaru and Nissan dealerships. All of them are owned by the same ass-h,,,,,,,,,,I mean guy. There's also a Toyota dealer in the same area. I worked at the Audi dealer for 5 years until 2012 when I GTFO because I couldn't stand to work there and dreaded every weekday. It was horrible, that;s why I call the guy that owns it an a-h, because that's what he is. Going off on a tangent here but, when I heard the answer to why a 40,000 mile service on an Audi was twice what it was on a VW, that was it. The answer to why they charge Audi customers more? "Because we can". Nope, don't want to have anything to do with a place like that, I'm outta here!

7. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

I can’t confirm or deny the ownership of Kia/Hyundai, but both companies do have same the warranty length. I was looking at an oil pump on one (or the other) the other day and cast into the part was “Kia” as well as “Hyundai”, so there might be some/all/no truth to the ownership part.

What gets me is the people who purchase either a Kia or Hyundai for the 10/100 powertrain warranty then trades off the car in 3-4 years – which means the second owner of car gets a reduced powertrain warranty of 5/60.
    BudW

8. 78VOLAREWAG

78VOLAREWAG Well-Known Member

The KIA parts warehouse will backorder a part from Korea even though they have the same exact part # in a Hyundai box, in the same warehouse.

9. Aspen500

I always use the Ford/Mazda thing as an example. Don't recall exact years but, it was around 2005 at the Ford dealer and a 2000 Mazda 6 came in with a fried trans. From Mazda a reman trans was at least a week away and $3,400. The Ford Contour has the EXACT same transmission. Contour and Mazda 6 were the same car with different sheetmetal, just like Ranger and B2300 (or B3000,,,, whatever the heck the number was). The ONLY difference was the tag said Ford and had a Ford p/n instead of Mazda, was $2,200 ($1,200 less) and,,,,,,,,,,,it was there before we got to work the next morning. WTF is a term that comes to mind!