Alignment problems?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot to attach the factory specifications for alignment. This is also from my '77 FSM.
77 FSM pg 02-20c.png

My '86 FSM had close but a slightly different ride height. I posted a picture of my '86 ride height in the forums here . . . somewhere.
BudW

volare 77

Reaction score
My thought is if the shop needed the frame to be pulled that the car was involved in a accident sometime during its history.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
My thought is if the shop needed the frame to be pulled that the car was involved in a accident sometime during its history.

Yeah, my thinking too. Which is why I was wondering if that is really what they meant, or did they simply call out the fact that if all is good otherwise (straight frame rails) the only other thing that can be adjusted is the K-frame being un-bolted and rotated accordingly to make up for the caster offset?

Aspen500

Reaction score
I honestly don't think the k-frame could be moved enough to bring caster and into spec, or at least make it even. Almost has to be the car is bent. I know when my car got shortened a foot or so (fan and radiator tried to occupy the same space at the same time) back in '89, it had to go on a frame rack to get the subframe rails back where they were supposed to be. The other cars rear bumper went over mine so I didn't suspect frame rail damage, but there was. That's assuming it was OK when I bought the car a couple years earlier. I found it had been wrecked on the right front, including the cowl side panel and door, along with the left rear corner. The entire lr corner of the car is welded in from a different car about 2 ft from the rear, through the trunk floor and tail panel. At any rate, after the frame machine session it aligned fine. Previous to that, I have no idea what it was as I never did an alignment on it. Could have been bent from the day I bought it.
Let's hope that isn't what your car needs!

lowbudget

Reaction score
Just a heads up the 4014352 and 4014353 are available on ebay at 10.00 each with 15.95 shipping plus 1.00 for each additional piece. I have to get my beater 5th Avenue realigned as I noticed it scuffing the outer edge of the tire. The guy who did it last time said it was temperamental but that he got it right on. Looks like I need to find a new alignment guy.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I haven't lined my car up yet on a rack (winter came back last Sunday) but, after putting the shims in, the toe came back to perfect (using the tape measure method) and using my modified level, the camber looks to be pretty much where it should be. Soon as the white crap (a.k.a. salt) is washed off the roads,,,,,,,,,,again,,,,,,I'm taking the car to work and do a real alignment. Even still, a couple weeks ago when the roads were clean (they got salted again a few days ago), the steering wheel was dead level and it went perfectly straight from my street to the water dept, about a 1/4 mile down the road, without touching the wheel so, it must be real darn close.

MBDale

Reaction score
Ya, the car was in an accident. Very minor. Pushed the hood in a small amount, the front drivers side fender headlamp bucket and the part of the fender behind the headlight was pushed in. I welded one in from another fender and got another hood. Engine bay and rad cradle is straight and no visible signs of damage.

Put a jack under k-member last night and since I have no motor in the car right now, I back off the K-Member bolts and made sure the FFI pucks were properly seating in the K-Member with the “dimple” going down. This took awhile. Good thing I had some help! The front rails needed some “guidance” so everything would line up to be bolted back in. This was my original suspicion to begin with. It’s in now. Now onto some welding in the back of the car.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Ride height is measured from the lowest point of the lower control arm pivot bushing to the floor. Stock height is spec is 10 1/4".

For reference, I have mine set at 10 1/4" and from the floor to top of fender opening with 225/60R15 tires is 26 3/8"

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
Just a heads up; the 10.25 height spec assumes your LBJs are at the same height as were the spec car's. So if your tires are a different overall diameter, then the spec for your car would be different.
For example; to exagerate; if your tires are an inch taller than was factory, then your BJs will be a half inch higher, and your New spec would be 10.75 ..
Is it important?
Only if your car has excessive bump-steer at the chosen ride height, due to the ever-changing camber curve.

But if you align your front-end at the wrong height, it will affect all your DYNAMIC readings and ultimately affect things like caster range, scrub radius, and Akerman, not to forget the bump-steer.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Way back eons ago, like late '80's, I had the bars cranked down to lower the front end of my Aspen and bump steer was horrible. Looked cool though,,,,,,,,,,,,or so I thought at the time.

Sub03

Reaction score
These are the torque specs I used, screenshot from dippy.org :

20200409_222111.jpg

Back