Amateur Hour

Duke5A

Reaction score
20210627_220042.jpg

Was in a rush installing a new intake manifold two weeks ago and didn't jam paper towel into the ports like I typically do. Guess which valve was wide fucking open out of the eight on that side? This car hates me.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I can feel that strange sensation of your chest twisting up as that happened just by looking at that.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I can feel that strange sensation of your chest twisting up as that happened just by looking at that.

Yeah, there wasn't even any hope of it possibly still being in the head after I saw it go in. The noise it made I knew not only did it go into the bore, but the piston was all the way at the bottom. Fun times.

80CordobaLS

Reaction score
You called it. You normally do the right thing to prevent it and then the one time you don't, all the stars line up in the worst possible way.

Thanks for reminding us all to take the preventive steps we know we should take but sometimes don't because "we'll be careful".

Aspen500

Reaction score
After working as an auto tech for the past 37 years, I've found that trying to rush and save time, usually ends up taking longer. Either what happened to you, or getting 5 steps ahead of yourself and then taking the pieces off that you just put on because you forgot another piece, that can't go on with other 5 things already attached...................Same goes for disassembly. Rush it and you'll forget the sequence it came apart or what fasteners go where, etc , unless it's one of those jobs you do often (like timing chains in the GM 3.6L or replacing one of the infamous GDI engine in a Hyundai). I like to slow down some and pay close attention to the disassembly, carefully arranging fasteners in magnetic trays, the order of disassembly making mental notes of "this harness goes UNDER the A/C lines, and the A/C lines go between the heater hoses". What I mean is, going slower is actually faster. Weird how that works!

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The best mental notes for disassembly are photos on your smartphone...

Duke5A

Reaction score
Head is back on with the rocker gear and cover. Exhaust is all bolted back together. Got the front of the motor torn down now for some changes. Going to a driver's side outlet water pump housing like the factory. Trying to figure out how to plumb the radiator now, or just to replace it. Almost there.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Amateur hour has turned into amateur season. I had the car running for my favorite car cruise of the year. Went to it and had a blast. Car was running great with full timing control and everything. Had a crowd on the side of the road hollering for me light the tires so I turned the idle up 250RPM on the handheld and opened the electric dumps for it. Damn I love this hobby. Had a small oil leak from the solid valley tray I installed though due to being stingy on the black RTV.

So I took it apart the following weekend, sealed up the leak and put it back together. In the process of doing so I didn't notice that the handheld wire for the Sniper EFI was under the throttle body. I bolted it down and started the car. Massive vacuum leak. Sounded like someone was playing a kazoo through a leaf blower. After I pulled it apart I noticed I had crimped the wire in two spots. Handheld was dead. I took it apart, cut the bad sections out and soldered it back together, taking care to shrink tube the four individual wires as well as using a piece over the entire bundle. Repair came out good, but the handheld was still dead. Something must have shorted, so now it's back to Holley for repair.

I have been my own worst enemy this season. Only put maybe a 100 miles on the car this year.

20210925_195626.jpg
20210925_195742.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Putting heat shrink over heat shrink doesn't always work. It can make the first layer split open when the outer one is heated. Not sure how I know this. ;)

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Ouch that sucks.
That's always the point I have to walk away from a project for awhile when it seems like everything wrong keeps happening.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Walking away for a few minutes does wonders. Even at work, I might be wrestling an engine, trying to get it to line up with the trans and mounts. Even worse if it's a Ford. They use studs on the converter, not bolts, so you have to line up the bell, dowel pins, converter and mounts all at the same time. Fight and fight and fight then,,,,,walk away. Come back a few minutes later, assess the situation, make a couple adjustments and it falls right into place. Same thing while diagnosing a weird problem. Test and check and test and read the service manual, pore over the wiring diagrams, test some more,,,,,,,,, with no solution. Go for a walk around the building and really think about it all and, the light bulb comes on, walk up to the car, check your idea and problem found!

Duke5A

Reaction score
What's really sad is I have been taking my time after the washer incident. I've had other setbacks not covered in this thread. It's just been a real weird season.

Back