any one stamping new metal for the aspen/volare'?

Oldiron440

Reaction score
this is not a tube grill , it is a modern billet cut and welded aluminum finned grill, that I cut down to fit the valare;s opening, but if you still dont like it thats OK.
. they are only about 300 bucks,, so I thought some might be interested in knowing they have options,
LOL

armataz

Reaction score
considering using aluminum to make the pans and riviting them in in combination with metal bonder to seal the seams. would be nice if these started to get popular enough to start getting after market parts for them. chevy's are starting to get mid 70's early 80's, fab going. you can practically built a GM G-body from a set of axles

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
considering using aluminum to make the pans and riviting them in in combination with metal bonder to seal the seams. would be nice if these started to get popular enough to start getting after market parts for them. chevy's are starting to get mid 70's early 80's, fab going. you can practically built a GM G-body from a set of axles
Maybe I have a lot more learning to do, but could A body pans be massaged and welded enough to work?

Edit: or just replace the carpet with vinyl and pretend the holes don't exist

Last edited:

armataz

Reaction score
Maybe I have a lot more learning to do, but could A body pans be massaged and welded enough to work?
I asked that question on the first page, I was told that it would be better to find some good doners from a junked car. so I guess not. I was thinking about pounding the aluminum into submission. since it wont rust out again. I was also thinking it might be easier to form.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Idk, people seem to suggest the front half of the floor pan might be close enough at least for the floor hump. What's the worst that could happen? You loose $200 on a driver side partial floor pan trying to test it out? I've lost $200 in minutes playing black jack. If you gamble and win you get a floor pan. If you gamble and lose you get a floor pan that doesn't work and the experience.
5 speed into an F Body Volare...A Body

armataz

Reaction score
Idk, people seem to suggest the front half of the floor pan might be close enough at least for the floor hump. What's the worst that could happen? You loose $200 on a driver side partial floor pan trying to test it out? I've lost $200 in minutes playing black jack. If you gamble and win you get a floor pan. If you gamble and lose you get a floor pan that doesn't work and the experience.
5 speed into an F Body Volare...A Body
200 on a pan, might not be so bad on it's face, but I also have a 78 Aspen wagon, that I lost 300 bucks on getting bad parts that were correct, but not usable. having multiple projects, I cant afford to let throw away losses to get out of hand, or they will never get done.. my goal is to hopefully have both at least back on the road by summers end..
thats why I am here, so that people that have experience might share what they know.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
The other question that just popped into my head is will a bench seat from an A body fit in an F body? If yes, then you know that dimension is the same and would make the floor pretty close

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Or maybe we, as forum members, can set up a pot and kick in $20 each. You know, for science. Then we can all know for sure if an A body pan works or is just a crazy idea.

armataz

Reaction score
The other question that just popped into my head is will a bench seat from an A body fit in an F body? If yes, then you know that dimension is the same and would make the floor pretty close
I'm pretty sure you have to swap the seat brackets. but the seats will swap.the buckets aredifferent for sure, because the passenger side has the extra bump out in the floor for the cat. and the A body dont have it.
I know some car clubs help members out with a loner/doner program. but thats paid partially with their dues, .

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Ah good point about the cat hump. I didn't think of that. I know it's different even between F and M bodies because I had to reuse the cat hump M body seat bracket on the passenger side when I put my F body seats in my car. The driver side was the same.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Ok next crazy thought. Does anyone have the frame diagrams for late A body and for an F body? Now I'm curious how far the dimensions are off between the two.

CRASHSHEET.jpg

armataz

Reaction score
the 78 aspen wagon, and the 79 volare' coupe pans also seam to use different brackets the sedan rails have a longer slide, and are also shorter in hight..
I believe this is to give extra room for coupe back seat passengers to get in and out

Lightning II

Reaction score
a Bit delayed, but I was bored and found the one for the earlier Dart.

truth be told, I had kicked the idea around myself for the front framerails just to get more suspension options.

67dartchassis-jpg.jpg

Found the Challenger's too:

topic=4768.jpg

topic=4768.jpg

LSM360

Reaction score
Here's one to make you mad, or sad. In 1989 I bought and grille assy from the dealer. Price? $120. A set of 4 wheels lip trim was under $100, fender edge trim $7 each, die cast trim on front of hood was about $30, etc. At that time you could still get most everything aside from interior upholstery or door panels new from the dealer. If a guy only would gave known..........These were all parts for my 79 Aspen. Same car now where an NOS grille, if you can find one, goes for $1500 to $2000 and I was cringing at $400 for the NOS grille I bought from. Marty in 2005. Little did I know at the time, lol.
It's true, but when you think about it we know now with the newer stuff we own. Take me for example. I have an LX Charger and I KNOW I should be stockpiling some things but I'm haven't been doing it, dammit!:D

kmccabe56

Reaction score
so, how are people restoring them if theres no new patch panels available
floor pans are almost all ways rusty swiss cheese
Just about any later "M" body Fifth Avenue has a floor pan you can use. Certainly for sedans and wagons, and with some cutting skills, you could probably make the work for a coupe too.

armataz

Reaction score
Just about any later "M" body Fifth Avenue has a floor pan you can use. Certainly for sedans and wagons, and with some cutting skills, you could probably make the work for a coupe too.
thats the trick. they dont exist here . or if they do they belong to some one else who is trying to fix them up.
90% of all yards crushed everything in stock during cash for clunkers in the 90's. to take in the new inventory, because they were not allowed to be re-sold to the public. by dealers or yards that took them in. in order to get the government C4C kick backs, the cars taken in had to be destroyed.
plus this is oregon, so any cars sitting out in the holding yard fill with water 5 months out of the year, once the seals go bad from lack of maintenance.
so like I said, the floor pans are nothing but rusty swiss cheese that often pull up in chunks with the carpets.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Same problem here. Must be nice to be able to find older cars in decent shape.

Back