Any truckers on site?

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Any truckers overseas in this forum? Just starting a conversation about trucking, The life and the machinery used on other side of the world.

I´ve been hauling since I turned 18, now I´m 21 and do feel like mechanics job would be lot more easier and comfier. I drove our Finnish assembled- american made, Sisu with 14 liter cummins engine and 13 speed non- synchronized Fuller. That´s a truck filled with the joy of work and merry making.

ramenth

Reaction score
I'm not a trucker, and definitely not from Europe, but my old man put on over 3 million miles in a 25 year career.

When I became a body man people asked me why I didn't become a trucker like my old man. I simply told them "it's because my old man's a trucker."

Spent the summers on the road with him as a kid. I like the driving aspect, it's all the other shit I wouldn't be able to tolerate.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I grew up wanting to be a trucker. The early 70s had rigs all over with shows like "Movin On", movies like "Hi Jacked" and Convoy. Daytime TV had UHF channels with all kinds of truck driverschools advertised. I've driven Triple axles and pulled some 40 foot trailers, but I am a hack at best. Bucket list has a truck driver school on it. Watch some of those youtube videos with guys triple stick shifting some of the old 2 stroke cabover diesels. I wonder if that trick of reaching through the steering wheel to grab the shifter with the left hand is taught in truck driverschool? Ya think? There is a stereotype of a truck driver- hot tempered, low IQ, and a vernacular that would make a sailor puke. My fatherinlaw is all that, so my wife hates it when I say I'm going to drive a truck.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
No one wants to drive truck in Canada anymore.
Crappy pay, long hrs, just in time delivery with all the other idiots on the roads.

On the sad side, they'll hire anyone these days.
I saw a guy a couple months ago struggle for like 1/2 hr trying to back his rig into the dock.
Highways are now full of 'Turban Cowboys' with a jihad death wish and no common sense.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Yeah, it´s all the other things like living on the road for week after week that makes me think again. Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings screwed me over on their songs I guess:D

I´d always like to try out the old American 2-strokers, always heard stories of them from the old graybacks. Don´t know about the fuel economy compared to new electronic trucks though.

Too bad to hear that in Canada it´s like trucker as a profession is considered a deadbeat job:/ Long hours combined to crappy pay doesn´t sound too good either, but I guess the freight won´t make it to destination by themselves. It´s even sadder to hear that the reputation is going AWOL thanks to these sunday drivers that complete their license and then forget what they´ve learned. Or then they just went Facebook during the license training.

9secRR

Reaction score
not a trucker by no means, but i do have my class 1 license. i do have to haul dirt/gravel the odd time. 2000 international, 425 hp 13 speed fuller. i don't mind it once in a while but full time trucking.... no thanks.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
No way I'm gonna wreck this....this is a beer truck eh!

tumblr_lnqy2nOg3y1qcoaf4o1_r1_500.jpg
how hard could it be
Its just like the 3 speed only with 10 more gears...

tumblr_lnqy2nOg3y1qcoaf4o1_r1_500.jpg

Kaitsu

Reaction score
I guess the industry everywhere is being invaded by foreigners from developing countries. Ours is now more or less full of Russians.

... This has now become official "bless minorities" topic:D I hope the site won´t be banned in Finland.

lowbudget

Reaction score
I have a 78 Power Wagon, 78 Adventurer, 91 D 350 Cummins, 95 2500 4X4 Cummins and a 98 2500 4X4 Cummins. Do I count as a "Trucker" LOL

Back