Anyone Have a parts car? Station Wagon?

PLY478

Reaction score
I may need a Brake Proportioning Valve. (Wagon Specific Part Here) Let me know.

Power Brakes: Disk Front / 10" Drums on the back half.

This is the cast type valve, Not the brass unit.

Thanks
PLY478

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
The wagon valve is p/n 4026609 and exc. wagon is 4094131
There's also yet another for taxi, and one other for Police pkg.

PLY478

Reaction score
Correct Part #4026609

My issue here is I assume the valve is seized or stuck. As I can only get fluid through it on the front side. No fluid to the rear.

PLY478

P-Valve Aspen.jpg

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
The valve, could need re-centered. Try pulling (or is pushing, I forget off hand?) the stem sticking out of the top and then push the brake pedal. Obviously a two person job though. Another way is open a front bleeder screw and jab the pedal a few times. The pressure differential may push the valve back. We run into this all the time on GM trucks when they lose a brake line(s) and you'll get no fluid to the rear. Sometimes it even works by jabbing the pedal sharply. Worth a try anyways before buying a replacement.

PLY478

Reaction score
Rich, I took it out to get a closer look. I will now put it back in and try what you mentioned. It's like a dance bringing this Long Roof back to life. 1 step forward 3 steps back some days. Grrrrrr!

Thank
Ply478
(Rich)

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Might not be the valve but the rear brake hose, I've had it happen on an Aspen wagon.

PLY478

Reaction score
Thanks although.. Not the hose... As I tested fitting at the back of the P valve to the two rear bleeders. All good there.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Its not a complex valve system, if all fails pull it apart fully and inspect and clean if needed.

The brass ones are still around for like $80.

If you need another cast one ive a viable used one. Would need cleaned and such but its from a good car nos a pos field rig.

DSC02375.JPG

DSC02374.JPG

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
What makes it Wagon Specific?

Most likely different force distribution due to different weight being supported by FRONT vs REAR brakes.

On top of this you also have the brake drum size, which all adds up when it comes to wheel starting to lock-up.

So the tell-tale sign you might have is that your rear wheels lock up first while the front wheels keep on rolling, or vice versa.

A suggestion to PLY478: if you cannot fix the current valve, or cannot find a replacement valve body, consider running a regular one but put a proportioning valve (manual adjustable, plenty of different brands out there) right in your brake line and by trial and error narrow it down to the right split between the FRONT and REAR brakes.

PLY478

Reaction score
My issue with changing the valve to a style different or adjustable valve... Is all the steel brake lines are new and would be another pain in the arse to adapt.

So I'm asking again if there are any members that may have a parts car that was lately running and driving. This would make things so much simpler.

Remow2112

Reaction score
For the record, just about any proportioning valve from that era that was for a front disc, rear drum car will work. Been there and done that. I prefer the brass ones because when you get water in the brake fluid they don't rust on the inside. You might have to move the lines a little bit but the connections will be the same.

HTH.

MOPAR MIKE

Reaction score
I may need a Brake Proportioning Valve. (Wagon Specific Part Here) Let me know.

Power Brakes: Disk Front / 10" Drums on the back half.

This is the cast type valve, Not the brass unit.

Thanks
PLY478
I have one on my 1980 wagon that you can have for the cost of shipping. It will be a couple of weeks before I'm ready to remove it.

Back