Are OEM HD Police parts worth it?

Duke5A

Reaction score
I hadn’t put much thought towards torsion bars – mainly because of two reasons:
One is all FMJ torsion bars are the same (except for the bushings on end and middle, which have different degrees of, um, spungyness? Hopefully there is a better word to use here).
Also (FMJ) torsion bars have out of production for so long – it has kinda escaped my mind.
You are correct, I need to add those to my list.

Dude! Firm Feel reproduces the torsion bars now! They make them at more than double the original wheel rate. I have a pair in my car and they were the single biggest improvement of any suspension mod I made. Even with cop sway bars there was still a noticeable amount of body roll in the corners and these bars flattened it right out.

Firmfeel Mopar Suspension and Steering

On your FFI front sway bar hangers – if you get a sway bar and it comes with hangers, let me know – I might be willing to purchase your set (again, if you’re not going too use 'em).

Will do! Not going to be this summer though. The budget is already spent on other stuff. :)

I wasn't aware the leaf spring shackles were different between the civi and fleet models. The cop rear sway bar I bought bolted right in with the correct shock plates. Eventually I got rid of the ISO setup by using some plates from Firm Feel to replace the factory shock plate in conjunction with B body shock plates. Worked nicely. Was able to top it off with Edelbrock IAS shocks - bought them right before they ended production.

IMG_3228.JPG

Unless you are racing the car full time, I highly recommend using rubber bushings for front/rear leaf springs as well as upper/lower control arms to frame. Those rubber bushings are the only thing keeping your kidneys located in-place.

If you are still considering poly bushings for leaf springs and/or upper/lower control arms, I do highly recommend getting a second set of control arms, so when you say the poly bushings are too-much for you, the re-swap over is a lot easier/quicker.

I got rubber in some spots and poly in others. The car has Firm Feel upper control arms and they came with poly bushings. Sub frame is held in place with aluminum pucks. It really isn't bad. The tires were the very last thing I changed with the suspension and no you feel every crack in the road. Before I your standard 15" Radial T/A and swapped to 18" Nitto tires with barely any sidewall.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
There is one minor difference – but to many this is a benefit, from getting rid of the Iso-clamp system . . . the rear car height is raised roughly ½” higher.

The differential stays at the same height - sense it is fixed via tires/wheels (unless tire diameter changes. at same time).
The rear leaf spring attaches to bottom side of rear differential.
By getting rid of the roughly ½” think rubber biscuit, means the leaf spring now sits ½” closer to bottom side of differential – which also means the bottom side of leaf soring is now roughly ½” father away from the pavement.
BudW

Back