Are there really people this stupid?

slant6billy

Reaction score
This downward spiral has been going for years. Anyone remember the brake pedal shift interlock crap. So now if your battery dies, your car is stuck in park. That is, unless the interlock bypass is obvious. My 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee was called in to have that bs added. As well my 97 Ram. I guess the older cars would be subject to lawsuit by the idiots. My dad taught me that you point the car like a gun with a recoil... so it matters what is behind you as well in front. I learn to ride a street bike the same way. Don't point it at anything but an open road.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Brake/shift interlock...........................All because some people were too dumb, stupid, clueless, or just ignorant to put the brakes on before shifting into gear. Do they not teach that in driver's ed anymore? Actually, shouldn't have to teach it, I'd just call it plain common sense. Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh, I just figured it out! The human common sense gene has mutated to the point where there isn't any common sense. Seems like the lack of any common sense is becoming more and more common (no pun intended).

Worse yet is the anti-lock brakes, traction control, stability control, collision avoidance systems, etc, etc, etc. They are all just great and I don't really have a problem with them except,,,,,,,,,,,,if there's a fault (lose a wheel speed sensor signal for example) and all those systems are disabled as part of the safety protocol, a lot of people won't know what to do if the car starts sliding or oversteering or whatever. This applies to everything in so called "modern" society. The more the computers and automatic systems take over, the dumber the people using them will get. I think you get where I'm coming from.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
In regards to the first article posted....this is what I refer to as natural selection and you can call me a cold blooded asshole but in my opinion all that's happened is that 13 people who should never breed hopefully haven't already and won't now.

As far as the bimbo locked in her own car....if I was the 911 operator I quite possibly would have told her to sit tight and I'll send someone and then forget to......

Mental atrophy is the biggest problem this planet has right now.

greymouser7

Reaction score
I have left the car running all night in the drive way, also drove thru a red light (was stopped at the intersection, and the traffic accross from me got a green light-instead of both directions getting a green simultaneously)-immediately pulled over, and let go. I am certain my eyes were blood shot, but I was not afraid (too tired to care), and I was wearing my uniform while getting checked out by the police. He told me what I did, I did not believe him, but did not argue-it nearly happened the next night and I realized what the officer said was legit.

Both incidents occured while sleep deprived, working too many days in a row at 16 hours plus.

I functioned like a zombie, but I made mistakes. Indentured servitude is legal though...
just think, they make nuclear weapon technicians work this hard...and no mistakes at work.

greymouser7

Reaction score
I have witnessed professional truck drivers operating at very low levels of conciousness-too bad it becomes a cultivated skill/kill-set on the highway.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Yes, people are this stupid, in both cases.

This is partially the car makers fault (nothing to do with the lawsuit). They have gone so far in the direction of making cars so easy to use (not drive, because that takes concious effort, and the car makers don't want customers to have to make an effort), that the brain dead general population expects the cars to do all of their thinking for them. How about Head Up Displays in cars (because you know, the enemy targets must be tracked at all times, and you need to know when a missile is being launched), or lane departure warnings (because doing a shoulder check has somehow become such difficult task that it needs to be automated), or 10" LCD displays in the center of dashes (because the short attention span of today's drivers needs more distractions). All of this is supposed to be an improvement of some type. IT IS NOT. The only thing that is improved is the car maker's profit margins, and those of the dealer's repair operation when this stuff stops working. The car makers have made it so that any idiot, with the aforementioned short attention span can be distracted at all times, doing everything but actually driving with due care. As far as I am concerned, self driving cars can't get here fast enough; the general public will cease to be a threat to my cars, and I won't have to make my way around as many morons.

Why shouldn't the car turn off automatically, many start automatically, so it is logical that it would shut off automatically. I don't think the lawsuit will be successful, but the basic point is valid.

P.S. I used to be on a Porsche 928 message board. A new member wanted to know why the 928 didn't have cup holders, and where he could get some. The response from the other members was to the effect that you shouldn't have time to worry about that if you are driving the car in the way it was intended to be driven. Newbie poster got banned.

Last edited:

ColinV

Reaction score
You forgot "Forward Collision Avoidance Warning", it is my personal favourite of the new systems.
Every one of my old Chryslers has this system installed. It's called the windshield, I look where the hell I'm driving and thus, don't hit stuff.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
You forgot "Forward Collision Avoidance Warning", it is my personal favourite of the new systems.
Every one of my old Chryslers has this system installed. It's called the windshield, I look where the hell I'm driving and thus, don't hit stuff.

I agree 100%.

Self Parking, because parking a car is 'too hard' for the retards.

Another thing I'm PO'ed about is auto makers all having different gear shifts.
In the 60's the feds wanted to standardize gear shifts, so good bye push button Mopar style.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I have only owned one car with an air bag, and it was a 89 Dip Cop that got them that yr.
I don't drive anything with an airbag.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
You mean you want ME to drive?

Saw a guy yesterday trying to parallel park a vw golf. Third try still no dice. I could've parked a 75 Imperial in the same spot.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I will admit, I'd have a terrible time parallel parking. Reason? Haven't parallel parked since I had to during my drivers test back in 1980 when I was 16.

Speaking of parking,,,,,,,,,,,,when did it become acceptable to drive through a busy parking lot doing like 30 mph? I always thought the speed limit in a parking lot (at least in Wisconsin) was 5 mph,,,,,,,,,oh wait, IT IS. Someone could start backing out or a spot, a kid could run out from between two cars, anything. I suppose it's different if the store is closed and the lots all but empty.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I will admit, I'd have a terrible time parallel parking. Reason? Haven't parallel parked since I had to during my drivers test back in 1980 when I was 16.

Speaking of parking,,,,,,,,,,,,when did it become acceptable to drive through a busy parking lot doing like 30 mph? I always thought the speed limit in a parking lot (at least in Wisconsin) was 5 mph,,,,,,,,,oh wait, IT IS. Someone could start backing out or a spot, a kid could run out from between two cars, anything. I suppose it's different if the store is closed and the lots all but empty.

For the record.....I am the god of parallel parking. It's all a pretty simple technique I use really. Don't know why but I can wedge a New Yorker into a smart car spot in one shot. I should make a video.....lol.

Why are people uncaring self centered retards in a parking lot?
Because there's a lot of uncaring self centered retards out there who somehow got a license. I'm thinking oral favors or payoffs.
Not sure how half these inbreds get them......

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I too can whip out a parallel park job.

We had a woman kill 2 children and run over the mother-inside a Costco.
It wasn't a 'senior moment' or mechanical, but just a case of being an idiot and the jury said so too.
Because other options like brakes or gear selector weren't available.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
This GM recall over ignition switches.
Besides the cheapest switches offered, have a bad rap.

I've seen people try to recreate the problem in the real world.
Heavy key chains 'the problem'?
Then lead shot balls on the key chain should turn it off.....no?
Haven't seen it recreated yet.

The whole 'death' problem is if the car does lose power, people panic, are not real drivers and crash.
If I died every time a carbed stalled while I was driving, I would be the 'Man of a 1000 Deaths' at least.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
For the record.....I am the god of parallel parking. It's all a pretty simple technique I use really. Don't know why but I can wedge a New Yorker into a smart car spot in one shot. I should make a video.....lol.

Why are people uncaring self centered retards in a parking lot?
Because there's a lot of uncaring self centered retards out there who somehow got a license. I'm thinking oral favors or payoffs.
Not sure how half these inbreds get them......

I think they find them in the bottom of a crackerjack box!

Monkeyed

Reaction score
This GM recall over ignition switches.
Besides the cheapest switches offered, have a bad rap.

I've seen people try to recreate the problem in the real world.
Heavy key chains 'the problem'?
Then lead shot balls on the key chain should turn it off.....no?
Haven't seen it recreated yet.

The whole 'death' problem is if the car does lose power, people panic, are not real drivers and crash.
If I died every time a carbed stalled while I was driving, I would be the 'Man of a 1000 Deaths' at least.
You want a good scare, look up "drive by wire"

Back