Are there really people this stupid?

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
You want a good scare, look up "drive by wire"

That's only fly by wire, dumbed down to the car.

Modern avionics are real nice, until the computer acts up.
Least in the old days, you needed your cables shot away before you had a problem.

It's real nice when you're flying at 4500 feet with no problems, then some computer voice starts going 'Stall!-Stall-Stall', the another one goes 'Overspeed!-Overspeed!'
Peepers said we're all good.
Some condensation that turned to ice.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Do you see any damage?
The nose feels heavy.

plane.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I will admit, I'd have a terrible time parallel parking. Reason? Haven't parallel parked since I had to during my drivers test back in 1980 when I was 16.

Speaking of parking,,,,,,,,,,,,when did it become acceptable to drive through a busy parking lot doing like 30 mph? I always thought the speed limit in a parking lot (at least in Wisconsin) was 5 mph,,,,,,,,,oh wait, IT IS. Someone could start backing out or a spot, a kid could run out from between two cars, anything. I suppose it's different if the store is closed and the lots all but empty.

You are making the assumption that people actually follow the rules/laws. They increasingly do not, and because enforcement is nowhere to be seen (can't have the police doing their jobs, they would rather be spending time trying to break into people's email and spy on their web browsing activity), they get away with it. No law, no matter how severe the penalties for breaking it, is worth the paper it is written on, when there is no enforcement.

I grew up in Montreal, and drove there for about 20 years before moving out of the city. Montreal drivers had a reputation for driving fast, with very small following distances, and they would not give anybody a break. I learned to get along in that environment, and have no issue with that; the drivers were fast (way, way faster than the limits), and they did drive very close together. Thing is, they could be trusted to drive properly. Unwritten rules were you trusted the people around you to not do stupid things, and to be decisive in whatever they were going to do. It worked, mosly (personal opinion) due to the drivers who did do stupid things were quickly weeded out.

Just came back from a 3 week trip to Montreal. Now, nobody can be trusted. People run red lights, make illegal turns, and pull U turns all over the place. They are driving slower, but I feel a lot less safe now than I did when I first started driving there. Reason for all of this is because there are no cops to be seen, anywhere. In the days before I left Montreal, any of the current day stuff would have a cop in your face almost instantly. Now, no cops anywhere.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
That's only fly by wire, dumbed down to the car.

Modern avionics are real nice, until the computer acts up.
Least in the old days, you needed your cables shot away before you had a problem.
Well that's just it. I've seen the way people take care of their cars nowadays, they couldn't give a rip less about them. As long as they can get in turn the key and go. Most people don't even own their cars, the bank does, the first time it acts up after two or three years it gets replaced, to be financed by the next guy who couldn't make payments on it when it was new , but can barely now that it isn't. That guy can barely keep gas in the tank let alone replace or even bother checking expensive sensors that my be going out. Three or four owners down the road you have a deathtrap waiting to happen. Someone will be driving along at 90 when the brakes, steering, and even the throttle will shut off completely.

Just look at that one editor for I think it was Wired magazine who got hacked while driving just to see if it could be done, and ended up in a ditch. He was lucky he wasn't killed... No thanks, I think I'll stick with drive by mechanical while I still can

Rant over

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Well that's just it. I've seen the way people take care of their cars nowadays, they couldn't give a rip less about them. As long as they can get in turn the key and go. Most people don't even own their cars, the bank does, the first time it acts up after two or three years it gets replaced, to be financed by the next guy who couldn't make payments on it when it was new , but can barely now that it isn't. That guy can barely keep gas in the tank let alone replace or even bother checking expensive sensors that my be going out. Three or four owners down the road you have a deathtrap waiting to happen. Someone will be driving along at 90 when the brakes, steering, and even the throttle will shut off completely.

Just look at that one editor for I think it was Wired magazine who got hacked while driving just to see if it could be done, and ended up in a ditch. He was lucky he wasn't killed... No thanks, I think I'll stick with drive by mechanical while I still can

Rant over

Agreed.
You can't track my Fifth and you can't shut it off via satellite.
Extra bonus is I can actually tell if it's running or not. :headbang:

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Welcome to 'Planet of Retards'
Thoughts not needed.
Help 911, I'm locked inside my car. I have no power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRKa1hBPpZY

There was another 911 call where the woman was trapped inside the car because she locked her keys outside.
'I can see my keys from here, but I'm trapped inside with no way out.

These people also get voting rights.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Agreed.
You can't track my Fifth and you can't shut it off via satellite.
Extra bonus is I can actually tell if it's running or not. :headbang:

Working on pitching a movie about a large magnetic pulse that takes out everything modern.
Now people with carb cars/bikes own the roads and motor clubs rule the world.
LOTS of space for eye candy, speed and stunts for the shiny pony people.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Working on pitching a movie about a large magnetic pulse that takes out everything modern.
Now people with carb cars/bikes own the roads and motor clubs rule the world.
LOTS of space for eye candy, speed and stunts for the shiny pony people.

Lol.....the only ones still rolling would be us.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Lol.....the only ones still rolling would be us.

That's why I have a tin foil lined hat.
When it does come, I'll have a car, phone, C.B, refrigerator, stove and a house that will let me inside.
Meanwhile everyone else, no car, no phone, no communication, electronic appliances that won't work and a house you are locked out of.

At this time I'm laughing and going 'SUCKERS! REAP WHAT YOU'VE SEWN'

Back