Bad Penny!

ramenth

Reaction score
Here's the story that started my love for the M-bodies.

In 1991 my parents buy an '82 Diplomat slant six car. Dark brown, tan vinyl roof, hubcaps. Sharp, not a speck of rust. The local Chrysler dealership took it on trade with 104,000 miles on the clock. Mom's a real haggler. He's asking $1400 for it, she gets him down to $900 and tells him to eat the licensing fees. Done deal.
Later on my sister and her ex buy an '81 Diplomat wagon that needs a motor, so Pop being Pop sells them the slant out of the Dip and hunts down a cop car for parts. Finding one we set about converting everything over. After a quick re-ring and re-bearing we swap K-frames, drop in the 318 cop motor, put in the SureGrip rear with the bigger brakes, rear sway bar, wheels, etc. Now we have the same car with a bigger heartbeat and a knew personality.
This car hates my sister's ex. Refuses to run for him when he has the occasion to drive it. It reluctantly starts, and when it does he barely makes it out of the driveway. Pop gets home and my sister's ex is complaining that the car won't run. Pop climbs into it and it fires right off and runs like a striped ape. This goes on for years. Runs fine for Pop, runs fine for my brother, runs fine for me, hates my bro-in-law.
Mom and Dad buy an Intrepid and the Dip sits, with me using as an occasional driver, but I have my truck and really don't need a car. So my best friend asks if he can buy it. It still belongs to Mom so she says sure. He's not filthy rich and he can't come up with the $500 asking price so Mom agrees that $50 down and $50 a week and the car is his. He takes the car, but a week later calls and asks if Mom wants the car back. It runs like s***, when it starts. Tells Mom to keep the $50 as a week's rent. A half hour later he pulls in the driveway and the car sounds like crap, hitting on maybe six cylinders, running rich. It's awful to hear. Pop asks him what he did. He swears he did nothing to it. He got it home and the next morning it was running like that and had been running like that all week. Pop raises the hood and I fire it off to have it purring like a kitten. Nothing wrong. Hitting on all cylinders, idling like it should. A quick once over and Pop decides a test drive is in order. Gone, Baby, Gone! My best friend is standing there shaking his head muttering he be damned. So the car is back in the family.
A year or so goes by and I meet my wife. The Dip is being used on occasion, but runs great. A friend of my wife's needs a car and inquires about the Dip. Mom again agrees to sell it. I take the women for ride, the 318 running fine, plowing through 6" of snow on unplowed roads thanks to the SureGrip. The woman happily forks over $500 for the car and goes on her merry way. A week later a get a phone call: the car won't run, it keeps stalling out. I drive to see what's the matter and it runs fine. I can't diagnose a problem that doesn't exist. She's standing there while it's running muttering that it doesn't run like that for her.I even have her take me for ride so I can see if it will stall. Runs great. I give it a good once over and tell her that if she has any more problems to call me.
A day later she calls. Seems she went out to crank the car and it wouldn't start without a lot of trouble. She got the car started and went inside to call me when the car caught fire under the hood. I go to her house and found out
she dumped fuel into the secondaries (somehow or the other, still trying to figure all that out) and when it fired it popped all the fuel in the secondaries and caught fire. One toasted T-Quad. Pop and I arrange for a buddy to tow it back to our place where we put a 2BBL on it, make sure it's running right and send it on it's way.
A month later my wife is talking to the woman's husband when we find out she hasn't driven the car in two weeks and they're talking about sending it the local U-Pull-It. Seems it won't even crank. I'm indignant! After some conversation, with me threatening to expose her husband for the cheat he his (he had the hots for my wife and even tried something...which my [future at this point] wife rebuffed knowing he is a married man) all is agreed that I would get the car back.
My buddy and I go down to get the car with his rollback. We pull up and no one's home, but the title is signed and in the glovebox, which is good enough for me. The neighbors, though, are sitting there, badmouthing the car as piece of s***, that it won't run, it belongs in junkyard, etc. I hit the starter, the car fires right off and I drive it on the rollback. The neighbors pretty much shut up at this point. Maybe they realized it was the operator and not the car. So now the car has left the family for second time and come back.
My wife needs the car, as the Oldsmobuick her dad gave her is pretty much on it's last legs. My wife drives it for months on her new job around the Middletown area of NY when she's headed home on Christmas Eve morning and the car stops running on RT17. My brother and I climb in the truck and fly down to get a tow dolly and bring her and the car back. Remember, Pop and I did just a quick re-ring and re-gasket on the 318. Seems that after all the abuse of being a cop motor and then a taxi motor, combined with 300,000 miles on the reciprocating assembly one of the rod bolts decided to give up. So out with the 318 and in goes a 360 out of my sister's ex's wrecked '76 Aspen R/T and the car is back up and running.
Not more than a month later my wife is driving through Binghampton, NY when the car shuts right down. Seems it was making a godawful noise just before it quit. Pop and I grab some oil and head down to get her, hoping the motor might have just been low and maybe, just maybe we can limp it home. Meet her at the tow company and pay up on the tow bill. Check the oil. There is none. Dump five quarts in and crank it. No dice, the engine is blown. Seems she ignored the oil pressure gauge when it went to zero and drove 35 miles at 70 miles per hour with the idiot light staring her in the face. So we make arrangements for the tow company to bring it the 70 miles from Binghampton to Watkins Glen where it still had all five quarts of oil in the pan when it got there.
Where is the car now? Back in the hands of my parents. Pop took the 360 out of the Duster to go in it, but moved to TN, leaving the car with me. Now the folks are back in NY and the plans are going forward to get project back up and running again where it belongs: in the hands of my parents. Where the car wants to be.

I'll get the pics going on the current build as I go.

66340sedan

Reaction score
I still have that oil cooler and rear window trim if you still want it. Too damn much snow to pull the parts, maybe in 2 months it will finally be gone :mad:

ramenth

Reaction score
I still have that oil cooler and rear window trim if you still want it. Too damn much snow to pull the parts, maybe in 2 months it will finally be gone :mad:

Thanks, Keith. I still want it. I also want to talk to you about the end caps on the quarters once you're able to make your way to 'em. No worries, I understand about the dang snow putting a crimp on things. I was hoping to have my E-body sitting in my garage here at home before the end of the month.

ramenth

Reaction score
Okay, let's start with the pics!

Here the old girl is as the project first started

1014.JPG

1012.JPG

1013.JPG

1014.JPG

1012.JPG

1013.JPG

ramenth

Reaction score
I found the paint code which matches the trim code for the vinyl top. I'll be putting the cop wheels in this color back on the car when it's done. And, yes, I plan on putting the vinyl back on.

1011.JPG

1018.JPG

1011.JPG

1018.JPG

ramenth

Reaction score
Underhood shot. One of the things which has always bothered me about the M-bodies is the cluttered, wired, and vacuum hose mess under the hood. This is all going to get cleaned up and re-routed.

The engine is also going to see some work. It runs like a champ now, could use some upgrades.

1015.JPG

ramenth

Reaction score
Interior shots.

1016.JPG

1017.JPG

Thanks to the set up of the front seats those in the rear seat would roast with the A/C on and those in the front would freeze. The solution we've come up with? Interior out of a second generation Intrepid with the pass through vents in the console. We'll be using a shifter from an F-body and making our own console, but the seats will give us room to do so.

1024.JPG

1025.JPG

1016.JPG

1017.JPG

1024.JPG

1025.JPG

ramenth

Reaction score
More pics to come of where it sits now and some of the work that's been going on! Gotta get to work.

ramenth

Reaction score
Got her moved to a new home for the build. My buddy and business partner wanted to see me build a car, so I got invited to move her in up at the shop. Here she is sitting in her new home.

I had taken the header panel off to do some of the 'glass work in my basement on my work bench. I've got pics of that but figure I'll wait to post 'em once the header is completely done to take it from start to finish.

new home 1.JPG

new home 2.JPG

new home 1.JPG

new home 2.JPG

ramenth

Reaction score
Gettin' the top off. Surprisingly, no major rust issues, just some surface rust I'll take care of with the blaster

peelin' back the roof.JPG

peelin' back the roof.JPG

ramenth

Reaction score
I want a functional hood scoop but couldn't find one I liked. The Mopar scoops, like the ones on the A-bodies just don't seem to look right on the M-body hoods 'cause of the tapered, raised body line. None of the aftermarket add-on cowl inductions looked right, either, so I'm building my own.

Here's the test fit of the hood I scored from a buddy of mine:

test fit.JPG

starting out.JPG

The basis for the whole thing is to have it seal to the factory style air cleaner.

basis of the build.jpg

I had to take a can opener to the hood so I could see where everything lined up.

can opener.JPG

different view.JPG

test fit.JPG

basis of the build.jpg

starting out.JPG

can opener.JPG

different view.JPG

ramenth

Reaction score
I had to cut all the support structure out the way to start building the scoop.

Here's a shot of the base that I started with. Half inch square and round tubing I got from Tractor Supply.

base.JPG

base 2.JPG

base.JPG

base 2.JPG

ramenth

Reaction score
I knew exactly what I wanted to do, but had some problems getting my head around the actual fab work. So Pop came in to help me. We put our heads together and this what we came up with:

Here's we're getting the angles that we want to work with:

angles.JPG

And this is how the structure for the air box began.

structure.jpg

structure 2.JPG

structure three.JPG

angles.JPG

structure.jpg

structure 2.JPG

structure three.JPG

ramenth

Reaction score
Some shots of the skin going back on with the radius's I want.

reskinning.JPG

radius.JPG

While I was there, I took the time to clean and primer the remaining factory support structure.

cleaned 2.JPG

cleaned.JPG

reskinning.JPG

radius.JPG

cleaned 2.JPG

cleaned.JPG

Back