Bad Penny!

old tired rebel

Reaction score
Great background story on your car. The Fab work is great and considering it's a NY car the rust isn't bad at all. Looking forward to more upadates

ramenth

Reaction score
Great background story on your car. The Fab work is great and considering it's a NY car the rust isn't bad at all. Looking forward to more upadates

Thanks, OTR. Figured I'd put the background of the car up to kind of explain why I'm building a 4 door M-body like I am. The rust isn't that bad, considering. I have a couple of holes to fix in the left front frame rail, too, but nothing major.

ramenth

Reaction score
Here's the not quite finished air box enclosed. The plan is to skin this using the existing body lines from the hood and finish it out into more of a cowl hood shape. I still need to finish up the prep work and get it seam sealed and primed.

air box.JPG

air box 2.JPG

Looking into the air opening:

inner.JPG

air box.JPG

air box 2.JPG

inner.JPG

ramenth

Reaction score
Once I got the air box built I needed to make some adjustments to the hood's own cowl vents for fresh air. The factory openings were extended past the air box and having air leaking out into the rest of the hood and not being funneled to the carb kinda defeated the hole purpose.

factory.JPG

So I used the other hood I had for it and cut the ends of the hoods cowl vents out and used those to shrink the ones on the hood to where they are only under the air box while keeping the fresh air vents in the cowl functional.

resized left.JPG

resized right.JPG

factory.JPG

resized left.JPG

resized right.JPG

ramenth

Reaction score
Can't skin it yet. As you can imagine, cutting the hood's support structure out made it kinda wobbly. But the factory support structure can't be put back on as it covers most of the opening which will seal to the air cleaner. So I'm building my own. I won't be able to re-skin the hood until I get this all built and bring the hood back to square.

Here's the pattern of how it will be shaped:

pattern.JPG

And a few shots of the beginnings of the structural support.

hood support 1.JPG

hood support 2.JPG

The hold up was having the pattern material I need to start actually building the main support structure. I've been scoring a lot of slipsheets from Sam's Club, lately. Now I just need to have the time from working on everyone elses' cars and some warmer weather to get it done.

pattern.JPG

hood support 1.JPG

hood support 2.JPG

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Can't skin it yet. As you can imagine, cutting the hood's support structure out made it kinda wobbly. But the factory support structure can't be put back on as it covers most of the opening which will seal to the air cleaner. So I'm building my own. I won't be able to re-skin the hood until I get this all built and bring the hood back to square.

Here's the pattern of how it will be shaped:

View attachment 252

And a few shots of the beginnings of the structural support.

View attachment 253

View attachment 254

The hold up was having the pattern material I need to start actually building the main support structure. I've been scoring a lot of slipsheets from Sam's Club, lately. Now I just need to have the time from working on everyone elses' cars and some warmer weather to get it done.
Very creative young grasshopper...:)

MeMike

Reaction score
WOW!!!!!! You are moving forward on your car ramenth :glasses1::glasses1:
I was wondering how it's been going :icon_cheers:
Looking REAL good and glad I am updated know :eusa_clap:
The fresh air system is going to work nize :color: and look VERY cool :color:

roadrunnerman

Reaction score
that hood will certainly be the first thing people see but it will look cool. It will be the first time i see one like like on that body style.

ramenth

Reaction score
that hood will certainly be the first thing people see but it will look cool. It will be the first time i see one like like on that body style.

I decided to go that route because all I'm doing, really, is raising the center section. I couldn't find a Mopar scoop I liked the looks of on it. And aftermarket fiberglass cowls were too narrow to look right.

ramenth

Reaction score
Great story! Any updates?

Only updates is that I've collected a few parts. From Jamison's parts car.

144.jpg

Left quarter, left rocker, and the trunk panel below the taillight panel.

Now that I've got some necessary body panels I'll be getting back on it when my truck's is back on the road.

144.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Robert,
Just got round to reading this thread.
Outstanding creative work.
I'm so glad you decided to save that baby.
I also love the fact that she'll only run for certain people.
(I know that one)
Keep up the awesome work and keep those updates coming.

Back