Blue Black Striped Aspen RT ?

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Im confused by what you mean of various brands, all the materials I have for this are all old but matched ppg/ditzler. Ive just never bought a cheaper clear because ive seen so many cars with jacked clear coats and I seem to have good luck with the stuff I use.

I do know the cars ive shot with the chromabase show as good today as they did a month after, one going on 12 years. But maybe if I got them out more they would show more wear.

Ive always been afraid to skimp on paint products and I hate like hell to do things twice so I guess id rather bitch about costs vs quality.

But way back when I used to buy wrecked, rolled, burned combines and tractors to fix/flip the dam paints from the IH and JD dealerships were dam good paints and even on some of the cheaper jobs on lesser tractors a gallon of red enamel from tractor supply would even do and last well.

One of the old blackout paints I used was the old JD blitz black and it was not spendy, but its not 1980 still is it.

Last edited:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
PPG makes great products and using them top to bottom is always a good idea but there are other great products out there.
The tractor paints you speak of are or were trure alkyd enamel and now have acrylic based toners. They would take weeks to dry if you p<t on heavy enough. :) I like CAT paints there made by Valspar I believe. You can lay it out like glass. I've been using a industrial singal stage urathane for heavy equipment from Diamond Vogel that is amazing. You can set it up to kick on a 70 degree day in the time it takes to kleen you paint gun.
I haven't had any problems with the clear I use so I will continue with it, I've used it for 15 years. Its about 100 a gallon plus activator.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Ive a friend who does industrial painting and he swears the Orange they get and use is of really good quality. He says its as good as the imron we used to shoot in the 80s. Ive been tempted to give it a try.

A member here sent me a paint code/brand info for limco which ive read a few good reviews on for the cost vs quality.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The top two paint co. I feel are overpriced to the point you need to consider others
If you think about paint on a project car I've seen lacquer paint jobs last thirty years on drag or project cars so idont know why a lesser clear cote is going to give you problems. It's not like it's going to be out in the elements 100 percent of the time.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I've used the industrial urethane on trucks where I've buffed the body and it's as nice as any automotive urathane for $145 spayabel gallon of red!

Oldiron440

Reaction score
If your wondering from 2006 until late 2013 I build cars for a friend and then worked for his excavation company doing anything and everything. I painted one piece of equipment that took about 50 gallons of paint.
Excavators, dozens, trucks you name it. Body work and fabricating, if I couldn't repair it I made it. I rebuilt three skid loaders one I took two frames and made one. The boss's son told me it would never be right and never work, he had been an engineer at CASE so he new everything, it was a pleasure proving him wrong.
So I've used all the products I talk about, I worked for House of kolor then did collision work for 30 years and the last ten I worked was a barrage of everything. I'd hate to know how much paint I've sprayed in my life time.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I think im gonna go with 1970 B7 because its a color that leaves many mopar guys wondering what blue it is. To me in the shade it looks like the 76 B5 and in the light the 77 B5.

Old Iron I respect your input and vast info on painting however this will probably be the last car I paint (right) but for me, a guy who just wings it and seems to get lucky every time Id rather spend extra on what im comfortable using vs doing it twice.

Sorta like this color combo.

So with many projects going concurrently, ive one section of the shop this cars sat for more years then I care to post about on jack stands so if I spend a 1/2 hour at the end of each shop day by spring I will be ready to spray some paint.

43e4b4671026229af4ac7a1e19a5fc71.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
That's the color my dad's '68 Coronet was, B7 blue. To me, it looked like the Challenger in the pic, going by memory anyways (car doesn't exist anymore:()

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.
I'm looking at colors for my Volare now but painting is probably five years off. I've been looking at House of Kolor colors this time. My favorite color is always the last one I sprayed. ;)

Aspen500

Reaction score
Is that because your garage has that color tinge to it now or because you dread the thought of painting again? lol
Even with all my plastic sheeting, exhaust fans, etc, my shop was blue (especially the floor) for quite a while after painting the Aspen. Now it's black from the Dakota.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I never paint in a garage, I have enough friends who have paint booths that I can use one as needed.
20190724_122817_0bdd68005ad4643350ef1d2db49f9b5a13621deb.jpg

This one was painted in an open shop, HOK Brandy wine over black pearl and PPG Ice pearl over white. That's top bottom inside and out seventeen times around the car. That's ten months of work forty hours a week $$$$.

Last edited:

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I ran across this oem mopar color combo, almost like it more then the vert pic above.

EB3-V6B.jpg

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I personally think that the colors are bla, no pizzazz. Lol

volare 77

Reaction score
I like the vert colors better. The last one looks like the color of my 81 dodge omni.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Correct on the onmi/mini van color thought, I had a neighbor with about the same blue, thanks for the reminder. I do think the vert is more like the 76 B5 then not. Ive a few small pieces off my 76 B5 I can photo to see how they look on the pc screen, I think ive some grille brackets and areas on the rear frame area with the oem coating flaked off showing good color.

Good to see your recovering from your flu shot Old Iron and back to your semi normal self, I heard they are giving booster shots next week, may I offer you a uber? :) But really, im only tossing out actual mopar colors, not everything can be high impact. Being coded for the blue stripes my options are semi limited using the mopar color book.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
After much internal debate and looking over the other options on the car ive decided to stick with the oem 76 B5 color. Thanks for everyones help and input. This cars been indoors in dry storage for nearly 16 years and its looking like the good thick coverage on the underside will blow off easily with my high pressure steam cleaner aka The Grenade as I dont think they even sell them any more and in not sure mine inst even home made from like the 60-s.

I called my two paint guys and got them on the hunt to each mix a pint so I can see how close they come to being correct. I might have the base metallic toner here and its amazing how much old school paint supplies can be found on ebay.

Might not be the most exciting color, but different and correct. I snapped these pics of the grille bracket vs the paint chip.

DSC03328.JPG

DSC03330.JPG

Last edited:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I never cared for the high impact colors, hell I painted my Volare white. The next time I'm going with House of kolor something completely different.
For a blue I like the B5 on the color chip , if your going with a stock mopar color I would recommend PPG as they supplied Chrysler originally.

Aspen500

Reaction score
With certain colors it's hard to tell what they look like unless it's in the sun. My car ('69 B5 blue), to be honest, looks like crap indoors. Get it out in the bright sunshine and it's like the switch gets turned on. Wrong make of car for this site but, my Mustang is the same way. Indoors, yawn. Out in the sunshine and the metallic becomes electric (for lack of a better term). The Dakota in basic black, well, it looks better indoors when the sun doesn't make all the flaws obvious, lol.

I like both the 2627 and 2851 on your paint chip card.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
The sheet says the 2627 is a 75 color, maybe a bit lighter like your car appears to be. Im just glad I made my flippin mind up. Time to stock up on more cotton balls.

Back