Bulb replacement - orig vs led

Justwondering

Reaction score
I'd like your opinion on whether I should convert the rear light bulbs to led or stick with the original type.

I was thinking led since husband is having trouble shutting the door properly. With the old style bulbs, they can run the battery down. I don't think the led bulbs will do that.
Old style also generates a lot of heat.
If it snowed here, I could understand having them as they would melt the cold gunk off. But, that's not something that happens here very often.

I'm seriously considering just replacing dead bulbs with led even though they cost more.

Has anyone done that with the rear lights?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen people on other forums do a comparison between the two, with mixed results.

I “think” it matters with the LED bulb purchased and it can make inclusive testing results. I.E.: Cheaper ones are, well, not as effective.

LED bulbs can alter how your flasher unit operate - so need to keep that in mind.
Also, LED bulbs send light in one general direction. Incandescent bulbs send light most directions and need a chrome background to redirect light

Most new cars have gone to LED bulbs, but on same note, are using multiple bulb lamps.
LED’s will last a lot longer (pretty much forever).

I recommend getting some and do a side by side comparison in daylight and at night. Post pictures so we can give our opinions (not sure if it will help you, per se, but I’d like to see them).

I want to convert my 5th Ave to sequential taillights. Most kits are for LEDs and may require modifying a taillight for multiple individual LED bulbs (more research is needed). I just want a easy 3 bulb per side setup.

BudW

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
I put Plasma Led lights in ........ wasn't worth the trouble nor and especially the expense ....... 3rd brake light was a better deal ........ I'll post pics .. when the weather clears .. been cloudy and raining since Sat. and today is more of the same. Here is where I got the Plasma Led.
Plasma LED - RED - Two Pack Replacement 1157 Bulbs - New ~ 1967 -1973 Mercury Cougar / 1967 - 1973 Ford Mustang (10043) at West Coast Classic Cougar :: Specializing in 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, and 1973 Mercury Cougar Parts
Regular Led aren't any brighter than standard 1157's ... these are minimally brighter .. just barely. there is a u-tube comparison if you scroll down.
--- Post updated ---
Oh and I forgot to mention .. the Volare flasher unit worked fine with them installed and the plasma are designed to work as regular bulbs, didn't work on my other car, but then it has a small motorcycle battery in it, don't know if that affects it? .. some cars need to go to a no load flasher unit and I've read they don't click loud, another option is a resistance load inline, but then there is no benefit for the battery. Best I can say about Led is that they are instant on and with the charger on the battery at full charge .. the charger didn't turn on for at least 15 min. of park lights being on.

Justwondering

Reaction score
So far on the rear tail lights, I have driver side clear light is out.
Passenger side, turn signal light has only 1 of the two elements working-- works as a blinker but fails as a backup light.

I'll research more and post back here. Like the idea of testing them side by side.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The backup lights use a completely different circuit and different bulb from the tail/brake lights.

The tail/brakes use a dual element bulb, which is what I think you are referring to (brake uses one element, tail light/turn signal uses other element).
--- Post updated ---
I have seen pictures of before/after – but is hard to tell difference in pictures (different photo shot location, different outside light (sun direction).
Having bulb “A” on one side and bulb “B” on other side makes for a better comparison.

Also a comparison from straight on rear, as well as to side view (45 degree angle looking towards rear).

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
These loaded different than taken .. I have no idea what's what .. maybe we can figure them out ?? computer illiterate .. camera stoopid !! left side has the LED ... Another tidbit .. Led needs to be the colour of the lens
upload_2016-5-3_13-44-25.jpeg
upload_2016-5-3_13-42-4.jpeg
upload_2016-5-3_13-40-14.jpeg
upload_2016-5-3_13-41-8.jpeg

brake light ?

upload_2016-5-3_13-40-14.jpeg

L turn

upload_2016-5-3_13-41-8.jpeg

R turn

parking lights

Justwondering

Reaction score
Oh my -- you are my hero.
Narrows down my research and lets me know not to make the mistake of color bulb behind the white lens.

Justwondering

Reaction score
volareandgtcat - You can just ship that lovely baby down here to Texas and I'll make sure no salt ever touches those rails....
lovely car.

Other than the led rule of match the color to the lens, are you satisfied with the lights when you drive at night?

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Thank you .. I was preparing to install DRL's on both my oldies .. but then for some reason I never went through with it (Dan Stern from Allpar never got back to me ??) .. they work as intended and I like the safety factor in the brake light being brighter than normal .. but don't believe their hype .. they are brighter but not by much .. a good quality LED will have enough light emitting diodes to light in all directions .. not sure if DOT approved tho? this is a pic of amber bulb with amber lens in lower light .. notice how much better they shine .. lol
upload_2016-5-4_14-56-54.jpeg

the flash must of gone off on this one??
upload_2016-5-4_14-57-21.jpeg

If ever there was a car that needed brighter brake lights .. it's this one .. (think Pinto .. lol) but the flasher wouldn't work with all 4 so I only changed the fronts .. again preparing for DRL's

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a nice Otnip, I had 2 of them! Are you referring to Daytime Running Lights as DRL's?

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Sorry Darth .. don`t know what Otnip is .. and yes I wanted to do daytime running lights on both cars .. I sent an e-mail to Daniel Stern at Allpar but got no response and now money has become tight so I`m not pursuing it. I may put the rear Led 1157`s in and swap out the front .. but I have a cold air intake on this car that makes the fronts a tight job .. so it`s easier to do the rears. Or a digital electronic flasher unit ... lol ... so many decisions .. so little money ... lol

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Look closely. You should see it as a Pinto owner.
Look --> Otnip

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I thought it was the funniest thing, years ago when a friend asked me why I enjoyed driving an Otnip. Then I saw it in popular media of the time, and it would make me smile.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
In all honesty .. I didn't catch that because it's really a mercury bobcat but who knows what that is ?? that and I'm a dunderhead .. lol .. the addition of a turbo was a mistake because it introduced a computer in a car that only needed a 4bbl to spruce it up .. live and learn .. that's why the Volare is staying stock, under the hood at least !!! lol

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Interesting. The grill was unusual to me. Now I know why. I did not realize the Bobcat actually made it into the 80's. I thought it had gone out of production several years earlier.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Not to worry, my true love has always been something the wears a Pentastar. furd made a nice enough product, in the day, but was what I had, and what I could afford. I had to save up for the big bucks before I could afford that first Mopar.

Back