Carter bbd question

Voeltagear

Reaction score
Happy Saturday everyone!

Since we've had the 76 Aspen 4spd "little red express" home I've been working on getting it to idle and operate smoothly under light throttle. Power circuit is flawless and it runs best under a load. It wouldn't stay running without throttle input and it sounded like a radical camshaft profile under light throttle.

The first thing I tackled on the good old 318 was the idle jet cleaning. Not too difficult and it made a huge improvement. At first it idled smoothly and stayed running at stops no problem. A lot less choppy off idle but still noticeable. Fun to drive, right?

Then it began to have a wandering idle. Sometimes 1100 rpm and smooth other times less than 500 rpm shaking badly and worst case died out. Every time I was about to dive back into the carb it would run great the next time I drove it.

Finally after about 3 days it was idling rough at about 500rpm when good and warmed up almost every time I drove it. Light throttle still choppy. So I decided to take another look.

When I removed the dust cover screw from the bowl vent the step up piston pushed the cover up. Not what I expected. So curious as I am, I decided to disassemble the accelerator pump rod and investigate.

I pulled out the step up assembly and found wear marks on the step up rods from contact with the bowl cover. The step up spring was a little bent but seemed to push the piston up without hanging up. Also the wire on top was not contacting the rods so I repositioned it to the correct location.

Nothing else looked out of place so I reassembled the step up assembly. Following the installation instructions I locked it down to the accelerator pump shaft. I set the accelerator pump to 1/2" below the dust cover mounting surface with the idle screw turned in 2 turns after contact. I also blew out the idle jets again. I found nothing restricting them and reinstalled them.

This time it ran beautifully. Idle was smooth and it was responsive. I set the idle air with my trusty vacuum gauge and off I went. A pleasure to drive! At last! Well at least that's what I thought.

The wife and I drove it to dinner and all was well. Even driving home it was pretty unnoticeable. But I noticed. The light throttle choppieness is back.

Today I drove it about 20 highway miles and as long as I'm cruising under any load its great. Rolling downhill with light throttle it's noticeable.
Other than that it idles at 550 rpm, doesn't die at stops, has great under load power and its enjoyable to drive.

So does anyone know how to get the light throttle AF corrected on this Carter BBD? Are there tuning parts available like the Edelbrock AVS carbs? Step up springs? Rods? Or is it matter of trial and error with the step up assembly? I did see some threads about drilling out the idle jets somewhere. Not sure if that would help light throttle.

Any ideas are appreciated, thanks for reading.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Are you getting rust from the fuel tank in the carb, fuel filters plugged up?

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Im thinking there is something in the idle circuits messing with you….

Voeltagear

Reaction score
It's idling great now. Just has the off idle issue. Gets better when warmed up full but never goes away.

I'm going ahead with fine tuning the timing now that it has a steady idle. I need to find the factory timing specs to compare to the distributor thats in it. I'm hoping its original.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Just an idea. I remember my dad having about the same symptoms on his 62 Fury. Nothing he did seemed to help. Then for the heck of it, he tried a tank of ethanol free premium, and the light load surge was gone. Sometimes modern fuel and carbs don't get along. Maybe worth a try anyways. Not sure about where your at but we also have stations with ethanol free regular now. Less expensive than premium.

Voeltagear

Reaction score
Looking down the carburetor when it starts to act up there is fuel coming from the drivers side nozzle. The higher the rpm the more fuel is pouring out. It is a bunch of drops, not atomizing. The passenger side one just has a mist, seems normal. What causes it to pour out on one side like that?

Voeltagear

Reaction score
Im thinking there is something in the idle circuits messing with you….
Tell me more about this. I'm having what looks like a siphon effect on the drivers side nozzle. It's "pouring out" with any throttle input above the transfer slot. Definitely using more fuel than necessary.

Voeltagear

Reaction score
I think the carb has grunt in it, all you can do is clean it out..
The idle jets are clean and the screws (I forget what they are called) that hold the venturi assembly are clean. Is there another passage that can cause this? I'm picking up a gasket kit Monday so I'll be digging deep. Anyone who knows what to look for please feel free to post your experience and theories.

Last edited:

80CordobaLS

Reaction score
In the rebuild kit, there are instructions for how to set the metering rods.

One other thing you could try is to use full vacuum advance. That way your throttle bores will have to be closed down almost completely at idle, giving you full advantage of the idle transition slots.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm sure you've already checked but, is the float level correct? Also, make sure the float isn't too heavy. Brass floats can leak and get fuel in them, phenolic can absorb fuel and deposits over time and also get too heavy. If a new float isn't in the carb kit, wouldn't hurt to get a new one just to cover all the bases anyway.

Voeltagear

Reaction score
I'm not having an overflowing issue and only one side has droplets of fuel. So I'm guessing its in the air circuit. Since the idle jets are clean I'm going to look at the air bleed circuit in the throttle body when I get it apart. I will take note of where everything is set as I disassemble it. That way I can compare it to specs. I have a factory setup manual I found online so I can also compare that to the instructions in the carb kit. I got the last one in stock at Carquest in Green Bay. It's not being restocked. Thank you everyone for your input. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:

Voeltagear

Reaction score
I found what was plugging up the idle jets. I couldn't see this crud until I removed the float assembly. Pretty bad sediment deposits. I'm hoping it came from the previous gas tank as it had a new one when I picked up the car.

I replaced the fuel filter when I first started it up and it has stayed clean. I'll post my pre and post rebuild adjustments tomorrow. All I can say for now is this carburetor works amazing when it's clean and adjusted correctly.

Time for some fun cruises! Thank you everyone for your ideas and feedback. I appreciate your help!

20220423_191554.jpg

Back