Chrome around the windows

MoparDan

Reaction score
I found an '80 Diplomat in a u-pull it yard that has a right side mirror and no power windows or locks like mine, except it has chrome trim around the windows which mine doesn't have, can it (the chrome) be removed? See picture for what I mean

IMG_20210530_202407.jpg

Last edited:

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I'm not sure that the chrome trim around the window frame is the same for F's as it is for M's, but I'd be interested to know how to remove and install this trim too. I'd like to add the window trim to my wagon.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I would say (but, not confirmed) the thin (chrome) door glass trim should will fit all F/M 4-door version cars. I thought about getting some for my wagon, but then thought it would look out of place on mine - possibly.

How to remove the trim - I am not exactly sure. I would guess you will need to remove the felt/rubber-ish window run channel that door glass runs up/down in (it just pulls out - but glass might need to be down all the way, or removed, possibly).
This picture was taken from my '86 Fifth Ave. It is hard and cracked - so I pulled out part way, with my fingernails, to show what it looks like. I suspect the trim clips on just under the window run channel.
20160830_114411.jpg

This from sitting inside the L/F seat and with door (and glass) cracked open a bit. The window run channel has been broken on this door ever sense I got this car ~15 years ago. The chrome edge is there and just not quite visible.
BudW

Edit, this picture was taken 5 years ago.

Aspen500

Reaction score
From what I see in the (1979) parts catalog, the trim is the same for F-body and Diplomat sedan but there's a different p/n for LeBaron (front and rear doors). Also rear door trim has different p/n's for F-body wagon vs sedan. Front door same for sedan and wagon.

MoparDan

Reaction score
I'm not sure that the chrome trim around the window frame is the same for F's as it is for M's, but I'd be interested to know how to remove and install this trim too. I'd like to add the window trim to my wagon.
I have to go back on Saturday to get a few other parts, maybe I'll try to see how it comes off, I always liked that extra chrome, so maybe if I can get them off without breaking it I'll put them on The Cherry Bomb. On a weird note this Diplomat has that chrome around the windows, but never had the chrome rocker trim (no bumps for the clips, also has chrome pedal trim, but black seatbelts kind of a weird car

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The M-bodies look better with the extra shiny parts. Most M's come with belt mouldings (the part you stick your arm on if your window is down). Some F's have belt mouldings, but not the base models. I have seen several versions of belt mouldings on F/M's.

I "recall" seeing a couple different versions of the around the door glass chrome mouldings (but could be mistaken) - but not sure if it matters, just as long as you are using the same design for all 4 doors.

The rear upper door frames are made differently between 4-door cars and station wagons. the rear upper door edge (above the belt moulding area), or upper door frame, has a different shape to it. The door glass (both fixed and slidiong), the around the rear glass trim and weatherstripping is different on wagons.
Most everything else on rear doors are the same between 4-doors and wagons, though (below the belt moulding).
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm going to GUESS that if you pull the glass channel out, there'll be trim screws holding the chrome on. I'm just going by other cars I've seen with trim like that and they were usually screwed on under the window channel or weatherstrip. Of course, I could be wrong.:oops:

I'm sure there was a thread or posts on that trim and how it's attached but pretty sure it was a few years ago.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Disregard anything I said above. Found the one I remember seeing. Seems the trim is pressed onto the window frame. It's the last post in this thread

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Earlier this evening, I went to my '86 Fifth Ave, to pull out the window run channel out (at the crack) to look inside the metal frame. The rubber/felt run channel is so hard - I couldn't get it to buldge. Five years ago, it was very hard. Now, it is like bending stone (or rock).

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I thought about getting some for my wagon, but then thought it would look out of place on mine - possibly.
Yep, I wonder the same thing. OY is also a base model (at least on the outside now) and I don't want to overdo it, but I do like that bit of chrome around the window. However, if I also put on the chrome window ventshades, it might be too much. My vision for it was to have a clean, minimalized exterior (with the exception of the Road Wheels), and the upgraded SE interior with faux wood glove box, dash bezel, SE steering wheel and plaid 60/40 seats.
Seems the trim is pressed onto the window frame.
Thanks. That makes sense. It looks a lot like the chrome door edge guards which are also just pressed on.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I was lucky I saved them from a '76 Aspen SE wagon that had been my Dad's, and then mine after he passed. Not long after that, I got rear-ended by a drunk, but before it got flatbedded to the junkyard, I pretty much stripped off everything I could. Those chrome Ventshades had been put on by my Dad, and fortunately I saved them. They are pretty hard to find now.
1623035374218.png

MoparDan

Reaction score
Sorry about your Dad's Aspen. Yah they are hard to find, there's been 4 M-bodies at local u-pull it yards and none had the visors, I used to have an '82 Fifth Avenue with them, I should've kept them

Back