Coil bracket

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t recall ever seeing an iron gear for a /6. That said, I got lucky and didn’t work on a lot of them, ether.
I would guess they came on the older /6, like maybe ’65 and older – but honestly – IDK.

RockAuto.com shows three different venders:
Standard DG11
Airtex/Wells DG18
Dorman 90450
There maight be other brands, as well.
Getting one with roll pin might be handy – for those pins like to disappear just after removal . . .

BudW

/6Volare

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Ill add it to the list of things to do.
As an update they made it to Banff and the car never skipped a beat. Used half litre of oil mostly from the valve cover starting to leak. Hes very happy with.
Heres a picture just for the heck of it.

20180402_182926_HDR.jpg

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
They are interchangable. The Nylon ones are available from any parts house. I beleive it was 74-75 when they went to nylon, not really sure, I havent worked on a slant six in 25 years
Every slant six, built in the USA (don't know about other countries) had a nylon dist gear from the factory. At one time a steel gear was available from NAPA (possibly others), but they are long gone. It actually wasn't necessary.

Here is a good artical on rebuilding a slant six distributor. Pay attention to the gear replacement part. The hole in the new gear is NOT to be used for the roll pin.
DusterIdiot’s distributor rebuild/recurve tutorial

Last edited:

/6Volare

Reaction score
Thxnks foe the info Charrlie.
Ive bedn on the slant site numerous times but didnt see the write up.
Jeff

/6Volare

Reaction score
Ive read the article several times regarding gear replacement but want to clarify a couple things.
The hole in the new gear is only there as a locating point to measure the shaft hole correct? You then measure the offset from the washers to locate the new hole. If thats the case then why do you need to place both the new and old washer on the shaft?
Could you not just locate the gear on the shaft hole the measur from the new washer?
Perhaps Im getting old but would appreciate some clarification.
Jeff

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
Personally, I don't even worry about the hole in the new gear. I put both washers on the shaft. measure the distance to the hole in the shaft, mark that distance on the new gear, and drill a hole in one side (not thru to the other side). Then remove one of the washers, install the gear, and line up the hole. Then drill through to the other side. That way I have some shaft end play (you don't want a lot, but need some).
PS: when you measure, make sure the shaft is all the way down.

/6Volare

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation.
Much easier to picture and understand. Next time I see him we'll get it replaced.
Jeff

Back