Convertible conversions

Exterior Body and Trim

1. Trey

Trey Well-Known Member

Ran across an article in a Popular Mechanics from 1977 that talked about Emess coach works and how they made converts in the 70's. Thought I'd post it up but the pics aren't the best resolution. I don't own a scanner so these are pics of the pages in the book. Hope the print is somewhat legible.

DSCN2225.gif DSCN2227.gif DSCN2228.gif DSCN2231.gif

Here's a pic of one of the Cordoba converts they did back in the day. The cars suffer from the same issue most converts do, they look good with the top down but aren't very pretty with the top up.

1977-Chrysler-Cordoba-convertible-side.jpg

1977-Chrysler-Cordoba-convertible-top-up-3qtr.jpg

Here's a one of the Mustang II's that they mention converting in the article. This one belongs to a friend of mine and is being restored now.

belle-top-up.jpg

belle-top-down-2.jpg

2. Oldiron440

Oldiron440 Well-Known Member

I didn't know about the Mustang 2 and back then I was heavy into Fords.

3. Trey

Trey Well-Known Member

The author of this article said Lincoln didn't make a convertible after 1941. He isn't a history scholar. You'd think he'd recall JFK was assassinated in a 61 Lincoln convert. Lincoln made convertibles from 1958 to 1969 with the 61-69 models being 4 doors.

4. Darth-Car

Darth-Car Well-Known Member

I remember reading that article when it was new. One of the few that has stuck with me over the years. I just thought it sounded so cool to do to the Cordoba, the coolest car on the road at that time!