Convertible conversions

Trey

Reaction score
Ran across an article in a Popular Mechanics from 1977 that talked about Emess coach works and how they made converts in the 70's. Thought I'd post it up but the pics aren't the best resolution. I don't own a scanner so these are pics of the pages in the book. Hope the print is somewhat legible.

DSCN2225.gif
DSCN2227.gif
DSCN2228.gif
DSCN2231.gif

Here's a pic of one of the Cordoba converts they did back in the day. The cars suffer from the same issue most converts do, they look good with the top down but aren't very pretty with the top up.

1977-Chrysler-Cordoba-convertible-side.jpg

1977-Chrysler-Cordoba-convertible-top-up-3qtr.jpg

Here's a one of the Mustang II's that they mention converting in the article. This one belongs to a friend of mine and is being restored now.

belle-top-up.jpg

belle-top-down-2.jpg

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I didn't know about the Mustang 2 and back then I was heavy into Fords.

Trey

Reaction score
The author of this article said Lincoln didn't make a convertible after 1941. He isn't a history scholar. You'd think he'd recall JFK was assassinated in a 61 Lincoln convert. Lincoln made convertibles from 1958 to 1969 with the 61-69 models being 4 doors.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I remember reading that article when it was new. One of the few that has stuck with me over the years. I just thought it sounded so cool to do to the Cordoba, the coolest car on the road at that time!

johnnyride

Reaction score
I had a chance to buy that yellow 77. I believe the owner's name was Walter at the time. He was great guy - MOPAR man. He had polio and it was getting hard for him to drive. He wanted $13 or $14K for it, then offered it to me for $10K and I didn't have the cash. I wish I did. A dealer bought it and then offered it for $19K!

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
The author of this article said Lincoln didn't make a convertible after 1941. He isn't a history scholar. You'd think he'd recall JFK was assassinated in a 61 Lincoln convert. Lincoln made convertibles from 1958 to 1969 with the 61-69 models being 4 doors.
Those were Continental's, not Lincoln's, I think.

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
Ran across an article in a Popular Mechanics from 1977 that talked about Emess coach works and how they made converts in the 70's. Thought I'd post it up but the pics aren't the best resolution. I don't own a scanner so these are pics of the pages in the book. Hope the print is somewhat legible.

View attachment 38131 View attachment 38132 View attachment 38135 View attachment 38136

Here's a pic of one of the Cordoba converts they did back in the day. The cars suffer from the same issue most converts do, they look good with the top down but aren't very pretty with the top up.

View attachment 38137

View attachment 38138

Here's a one of the Mustang II's that they mention converting in the article. This one belongs to a friend of mine and is being restored now.

View attachment 38139

View attachment 38140
There is one for sale, in the June Hemming's

Back