MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Contact seller
Indianapolis, not mine.....
1981. $2000

00Y0Y_aRTck7uScg_600x450.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
If this wasn't a bazillion miles away, I would definitely take a look. The roof cover looks bad though, really too tall and very "heavy" looking. I wonder what, if anything, was done to improve the structural rigidity of the car, seeing as the entire roof structure is gone, and our cars not having a full frame structure. If the roof cover/hump were reduced to a more reasonable size, I could see this as being a nice looking car. Colour on my computer monitor looks like a dark red/cherry/burgandy colour, which is most likely not factory standard. It is also missing its wheel center on the rear wheel.

Kostas

mirada80

Reaction score
There was a convertible here in NB, gold and excellent shape I don't recall how tall the top was when folded up, but it was a pretty good looking car. I do believe there was additional structure added to the under side to stiffen up the car. Even my t-top cars had additional structure added to the roof and a pillars.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I guess it really depends on who did the conversion. There was one on here a while ago that was in the US south somewhere that somebody had bought. Turned out to be both a rust bucket, and have no structural reinforcement at all. He ended up parting it out.

The T-Tops were available from the factory, and they did get reinforced as part of the manufacturing process (the only way to do it completely right, in my mind). There were no factory J bodied convertibles, though, so it does come down to who did the conversion. There are some people who do an excellent job; by the same token, there are those that don't. They would have to be really careful with a car that wasn't all that strong structurally to start with.

I would love to see a picture of the gold convertible. There are pictures around of a grey Mirada convertible that I have seen. Seems like they were all third party conversions.

Kostas

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
I guess it really depends on who did the conversion. There was one on here a while ago that was in the US south somewhere that somebody had bought. Turned out to be both a rust bucket, and have no structural reinforcement at all. He ended up parting it out.

The T-Tops were available from the factory, and they did get reinforced as part of the manufacturing process (the only way to do it completely right, in my mind). There were no factory J bodied convertibles, though, so it does come down to who did the conversion. There are some people who do an excellent job; by the same token, there are those that don't. They would have to be really careful with a car that wasn't all that strong structurally to start with.

I would love to see a picture of the gold convertible. There are pictures around of a grey Mirada convertible that I have seen. Seems like they were all third party conversions.

Kostas

No factory T-Tops , MaMopar sent them out for conversion.

mirada80

Reaction score
How many companies were doing the T-Top conversion for Chrysler? I know that they were sent out for it, but it seems funny that the car would be built in Canada, sent across the border for the T-Top conversion and then back to Canada for the Canadian market.

72Dodge

Reaction score
With the new interior, tires, and wheels(?), looks like a great deal. Obviously needs some body work, no big deal. If it doesn't already have it done, tie the rails, add torque boxes, finish it up. For this price, I wish I'd found something like this before I bought my Mirada, honestly. Looks like a great project. Hope someone here gets it!

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Cars & Concepts did a lot of this work, and not just for Chrysler. They have a good track record, and if they were the ones who did this convertible, it would have been done right. However, without very close inspection, any J body convertible is questionable. I may be a little opinionated on this, but it isn't just tie-ing together the frame rails and a couple of torque boxes. That may address side to side flex, and twist to some degree, but neither address logitudinal flex (along the length of the chassis). I think that converting over a unit body car is a lot more involved than converting a body-on-frame car. I have been in Iroc-Z convertibles, and even though available from the factory, the rattles, squeaks, and groans, along with flex that can be felt, do not inspire confidence, and I think our cars start off with a significantly weaker base than the Iroc-Zs.

Last edited:

My imp

Reaction score
At some point in time, I hope to get a Mirada convertible for a hybrid project. Having seen the blue Imp convertible convinced me that an Imp convert. is out of the question. The 1/4's just don't lend themselves to the proper line needed for the top. However, a Mirada convert. with an Imperial nose, modified deck lid, 1/4 panel extensions, Imp lights & bumper would make for one smart looking convert.! The interior could be switched as well. Some day...

kkritsilas

Reaction score
That would be a really good looking car, but lots of body work. The imp front end on what would be essentially a Mirada otherwise would look really good. Just some bodywork to fit the Imp nose on a Mirada (if there is enough room for the hideaway headlights). I really love the Imperial ;front end; extremely classy, with a little bit of intimidation thrown in to pervent it from looking too conservative/old/staid. Classically simple in the extreme.

Kostas

P.S. Dream for me would be a Mirada CMX with a fuel injected new gen Hemi, 545RFE automatic (5/6 speed depending on which way you choose to count gears). or even the new RAM 1500s eight speed auto. 8 3/4" rear with disk brakes. The entire Firm Feel catalog as the suspension. Interior would only have one change, a tach where the fuel gauge is (fuel gauge can be a sub-dial on the tach). I'm fine with the body being stock. Needless to day, a distant dream, but something to strive for.

Last edited:

My imp

Reaction score
I'd only like to row for myself. A nice 5-6 spd. overdrive stick, AutoRust subframe & torque boxes. I already have a complete new front end with Energy Suspension bushings all around. H.D. tie rods & sleeves, pitman, idler (yes it clears the block hugger headers) arm, upper & lower ball joints, 1 1/8" sway bar & bushings. I read that the Imp.'s had 1 1/8" bars, but mine only had a 1". Luckily I had one lying around from a Gran Fury! It & it's upper & lower control arms were fitted with urethane bushings. The day I left, I got the subframe urethane bushings from Summit, so they haven't been installed yet. Santa's bringing me the wrenches from Motech, so I can rebuild the steering gear box from that Gran Fury. It spins freely by hand with ease & no binding, so a reseal should suffice. I'm sure it won't compare to FFI, but it is nearly $300 cheaper. The cooler from RockAuto will need more fab than expected due to its fin design. I wish to mimic the factory one, a the aluminum fins are wavy, rather than straight, so the stock bracket will more than likely not work, & I'll end up fabbing a new one. Little polish, little clear coat... Still need to do the rear springs & sway bar. I'm not getting rid of the ISO rear until I swap in my 8 3/4" rearend, so I have the urethane plates to install. I lowered the car 2", but thought it looked WAY TO LOW, so I put an inch back in. I think I'll go back to stock ride, or 1/2" lower. Trust me, you can't believe how low 2" really is! The wheels didn't hit in static tests, but I didn't want to find out on the road! Road feel has increased quite a bit, but IMHO I believe it needs the cop box, or firmer. When done, I hope I don't upset the dynamics of the car by putting TOO much road feel in, it is a luxury car after all. A Mirada or possibly a Cordoba LS, but no Imp should be a canyon carver. lol

72Dodge

Reaction score
Cars & Concepts did a lot of this work, and not just for Chrysler. They have a good track record, and if they were the ones who did this convertible, it would have been done right. However, without very close inspection, any J body convertible is questionable. I may be a little opinionated on this, but it isn't just tie-ing together the frame rails and a couple of torque boxes. That may address side to side flex, and twist to some degree, but neither address logitudinal flex (along the length of the chassis). I think that converting over a unit body car is a lot more involved than converting a body-on-frame car. I have been in Iroc-Z convertibles, and even though available from the factory, the rattles, squeaks, and groans, along with flex that can be felt, do not inspire confidence, and I think our cars start off with a significantly weaker base than the Iroc-Zs.

OK, fair enough. I just hope someone close to it checks this car out and finds out what it really is and how good/bad it really is, and saves it if it's worth saving. I agree with all the points here about the awkward looking top and such, but it could still be a good looking car with some work. Granted, based only on the few pics, and pics can always be deceiving (and usually are), but it looks like a good project to me overall, if it was a good conversion to begin with.

My imp

Reaction score
Does anyone know what reinforcements were done to t top cars? When I removed the t top roof from a Cordoba, I was appalled by what I saw. The rear is retained by the shoulder harness fasteners (1 per side), the front by Huck bolts (1/4" steel pop rivets). That's it! Oh, plus the silicone on the trim! I plan on using subframe connectors & torque boxes from AutoRust. I still don't know if I'll follow the Beneike's pound tubing down the windshield pillars, & then weld them back up. They're the ones with the '71 Daytona's, Superbirds, & '71 Road Runner convertibles, etc... Dayclona industries. There stuff has been in all the major Mopar rags. Their '71 Daytona or Superbird ran Bonnyville at over 200 mph! So I'd say they know something about chassis rigidity. I wasn't talking about the fit on the Mirada (which I like), I was talking about the fit on the Imp, which I don't like! I will hopefully build it one day. Have plasma cutter & mig welder, will travel! When I finally get to slathering some paint on my Imp, it will have Mirada fender louvers on it. I have the louvers & sheet metal to graft onto Imp fenders. What I'd really like to do is to recess them into the fenders & pull a mold & make an Imperial 'glass front end! Between that & all the aluminum available for BB Mopar now, the stock torsion bars should be more than adequate!

kkritsilas

Reaction score
If the car does check out, it will be a really great car to have, especially at the price. While there aren't many convertibles around and some were hack jobs, if this is properly done, it would be a great car to preserve and restore, not to mention great looking (if the convertible top hump is addressed). The Mirada and Cordoba bodies seem to lend themselves to convertible conversion quite well, due to their body shape. Hope whoever ends up with this does give it a thorough going over, and if it works out, buys it. The $2000 asking price is great, perhaps even a bargain.

Kostas

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Does anyone know what reinforcements were done to t top cars? When I removed the t top roof from a Cordoba, I was appalled by what I saw. The rear is retained by the shoulder harness fasteners (1 per side), the front by Huck bolts (1/4" steel pop rivets). That's it! Oh, plus the silicone on the trim! I plan on using subframe connectors & torque boxes from AutoRust. I still don't know if I'll follow the Beneike's pound tubing down the windshield pillars, & then weld them back up. They're the ones with the '71 Daytona's, Superbirds, & '71 Road Runner convertibles, etc... Dayclona industries. There stuff has been in all the major Mopar rags. Their '71 Daytona or Superbird ran Bonnyville at over 200 mph! So I'd say they know something about chassis rigidity. I wasn't talking about the fit on the Mirada (which I like), I was talking about the fit on the Imp, which I don't like! I will hopefully build it one day. Have plasma cutter & mig welder, will travel! When I finally get to slathering some paint on my Imp, it will have Mirada fender louvers on it. I have the louvers & sheet metal to graft onto Imp fenders. What I'd really like to do is to recess them into the fenders & pull a mold & make an Imperial 'glass front end! Between that & all the aluminum available for BB Mopar now, the stock torsion bars should be more than adequate!

Stamped steel reinforcement plates were rivited to the A pillar, most likely for roll over protection. I can't imagine any other purpose, in the location they are in, absolutely no frame or roof rigidity is a benefit of these. I can post a pic later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back