Convertible Mirada on CL

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Ok, I will upload pics of plates installed on my T Top Mirada and I will find the extra A pillar plates... .. I have two sets of used (junk) seals(4 pieces to each set) and I have a complete set of NOS seals. Im not willing to part with my pile of NOS parts, LOL seperation anxiety at its best...

My imp

Reaction score
I know, the second you sell them you'll take off your tops & tear one! Been there, done that, bought the T-Shirt! If you should find that your not TOO proud of them, I'd be willing to make a deal. Do you need anything? Thanks, Larry

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Larry, what are your plans for the A pillar plates?
Obviously to install them, but on what car and for what reason?
Do you need a whole T Top frame with glass?

My imp

Reaction score
I plan toput the t tops on my Imp. I cut the roof off of an '82 Cordoba. Headliner was junk, frame needs minor rust repair, seals are shit, & I didn't know about the plates when I cut the roof off. The cast 1/4 glass frame will require some mod.'s, but the piece of trim above the door is the same size as the t top, so the end caps will fit the w/shield trim. There's enough wiggle room in the mounting of the frame, so I figure with triple measuring & plenty of mock up I should be alright. I'm thinking that there must be some other stumbling block along the way, as I've never seen an Imperial t top?

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Passenger side A pilliar support plate, its heavy stamped steel, 10gauge (1/8") thick, held in with rivets.
The floor tiles are 12"X12", so you have a size reference.
Now if I can only find the driver side plate!!!!!!!

CAM00152.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
My Imp:

Don't know for sure, but didn't most Imperials have sun/moon roofs? If not standard, I think that on a vehicle in the Imperial's price class, there would have been quite a few that had the option (logic being, you're going to spend a lot on the car anyway, so just load it up; a lot of stuff was standard on the Imperial, so there wasn't a lot of money to be spent on options anyway). Perhaps it was also structural (with the longer chassis, maybe Chrysler didn't think the chassis rigidity would be acceptable on a flagship car; or marketing (Caddy and Lincoln didn't have T-tops, and they were available for mostly lower/middle price level cars).

Kostas

My imp

Reaction score
My Imp:

Don't know for sure, but didn't most Imperials have sun/moon roofs? If not standard, I think that on a vehicle in the Imperial's price class, there would have been quite a few that had the option (logic being, you're going to spend a lot on the car anyway, so just load it up; a lot of stuff was standard on the Imperial, so there wasn't a lot of money to be spent on options anyway). Perhaps it was also structural (with the longer chassis, maybe Chrysler didn't think the chassis rigidity would be acceptable on a flagship car; or marketing (Caddy and Lincoln didn't have T-tops, and they were available for mostly lower/middle price level cars).

Kostas
Like 308 GTB Ferrari's. lol I know, technically a Berlinetta isn't a true t top, but... I have a t top Imperial, so I'll check & see if it has the side pillar plates. Any pic.'s of the floor plates? Are they welded or fastened in? Not having the software to do a decent rendering of what I'd like to do with the paint on the Imp, my white w/heavy gold pearl body, accented by basically a punched up version of the factory Mahogany paint from the pin stripe up (including hood, frt. fascia, & perhaps frt. valance panels), & using the roofline as a guide, a set of ghost strobe (ala '71-'72 Road Runner) stripes in the roof. I've been extremely successful at ghost sunbursts on guitars. From certain angles, they are undetectable. All that's needed is to slightly modify the amount of pearl in the stripe area. Simply, less gold, or more white pearl will give the needed effect, it's just shooting test panels, & then running out into the sun to see which has the wanted effect. But that's for a MUCH later date! That sunroof car came to me with 3" of water in it, so I don't know if the plates will be any good anyways. PM me with a price on all (4) panels, & I'll let you know. Thanks, Larry

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Passenger side A pilliar support plate, its heavy stamped steel, 10gauge (1/8") thick, held in with rivets.
The floor tiles are 12"X12", so you have a size reference.
Now if I can only find the driver side plate!!!!!!!

Larry, the floor tiles in the pic are 12"X12" for size reference of the A pillar plate. No extra plates are welded to the floor of a T Top Mirada.

81Mirada

Reaction score
This one is mine, it was done by Global Coach Conversions in Florida. There were some reinforcements done to help strengthen the frame but there is still some flex to it but not bad. The one in the add claims it was done in Texas. From what I have found those done by Global Coach generally have a small badge indicating they had done the work.
P1050334.jpg

P1050334.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
81 Mirada:

The hump for the convertible top looks much better on your car. You stated your car some structural reinforcements. Do you have picturesof the? Might help some of tge other guys doing T-Top conversions, or some guys thinking of getting other J Body convertibles in seeing what they need to look for.

Kostas

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Is that all of it? I would have tnought there would have been something on the floors, perhaps across the firewall (side to side, and even diagonally towards the radiator support, or even a strengthened radiator support). Is there anything behind the back seats on the top side of the car? How about strengthened A pillars like the T-TOp cars? This one will help with twist, some, but the must be more. I can't imagine that it alone would make up for the loss of rigidity due to the roof being cut off.

Kostas

My imp

Reaction score
ASC is no longer in business, but they did the lions share of the work for Chrysler. They put together packages that were designed to "take it", these conversions of today make reinforcement seem an afterthought. I lived in SW Fla. for a number of years, & the roads were glass smooth. Of course I worked for DOT so I have to say that! I now live up in N Oh, where the roads are more like Beirut. That reinforcement would give more than a little cowl shape on these roads.

81Mirada

Reaction score
That's the picture from the underside of my car. There is no bracing at the firewall or in the trunk area. There is a heavy plate welded between the door jam and the rear wheel well, that provides only other structural support. The convertible top mechanism is attached to this plate. I need to look to see if I have any pictures.

moper

Reaction score
I think that's a pretty cool looking car. I never knew there were convertible options for those cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back