Cracked block! Is it repairable?

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My friend has my old low mileage (70,000miles) 318 out of my Cordoba, he stripped down to freshen up and look what he found, it looks like its cracked either side of the head bolt into the water jacket, anyone seen this before, is it fixable? Any ideas?

For you guys in mopar land where 318s are a dime a dozen its simple just get another block off craigslist or a complete engine, living at the bottom of the planet we don't quite have that luxury :mad:

upload_2020-3-29_9-28-37.png

Thanks
Bruce

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yes, it can be fixed. Will require someone who knows about welding cast iron and with the equipment to do it. That said, a crack like that one may not need to be repaired. If the engine didn't lose coolant before, it's not the end of the world. Worse case is, use thread sealer on the head bolt and leave it be. I've seen cracks in blocks and heads before that caused no problems, especially between the coolant passage and the head bolt. Coolant passage and the cylinder bore, different story though. Others may feel different but that's my thoughts on it.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Aspen500. Some (most) block cracks are an issue.
That particular crack, I wouldn't worry about, if a person used a bit of thread sealer on that head bolt threads.
BudW

Oldiron440

Reaction score
You could put a stud in it if you concerned........

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi AJ,

No its my old doba motor, gave to a friend as he wanted to use for a while, is it useable?

It would seem it's not an issue

Thanks
Bruce

Last edited:

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
Smarter men than me say it's ok.I'm not being facetious.
It ran fine in the Doba right?

I wouldn't use it because;
A) I have several to choose from, and
B) I would worry about that hole holding it's torque. If it opens during the heating cycle, that bolt is gonna want to climb up out of there, even tho it does not physically turn; threads are just long ramps curled into a circle.
C) you just gotta wonder how it got there, and if there are others hiding in places you cannot see nor find
D) if you're not gonna spend any money on machining, I guess gaskets and time are cheap enough. Besides; it ran fine in the Doba,right?
E) Maybe I'm just a worrier. I understand your locationary predicament.
F) I would consider it an opportunity to switch to a longer stroke engine,lol
G) And like I said; smarter men than me said it's Ok. That is not a slur. I think they have offered viable opinions and solutions.

droptop

Reaction score
I wouldn’t use it unless there were no other options available. If nothing else but for piece of mind. I would be wondering every time I stepped on the throttle a little aggressively if this is the time it let’s go.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
It's a head-bolt right? I wouldn't use it as-is because with an OEM fastener (bolt) it will need to be solid for the tightening torque to be retained.

Now, as Oldiron440 said, you could toss a stud in there.

Either way, I would go down the path of a HeliCoil install first. Done right these things are actually stronger than a normal thread cut into a casting. But for it to be done right you really should get a weld in there I would think.

Back