Custom build for Led tail lights

Mpg80

Reaction score
Toying around with the idea of making a custom taillight build with LED's for my 80 Aspen. Instead of plug and play LED's I'm thinking of using led tube strips to lay out a design. Just curious if anyone would know of a tail light housing from another make and model that would fit the 80 Aspen besides the Volaré? I was originally planning to build upon the stock taillights but it would be cool to have options if there is anything else that could possible work.

Duke5A

Reaction score
This thread here: 80 Mirada,. Guy has a Mirada and did a stellar job with the fabrication.

I chickened out and went with conversion bulbs from superbrightled.com. If I had another set of taillights it's still something I might do later on.

Mpg80

Reaction score
A buddy of mine had lens' 3d printed so that is another possible option. I have a pair of donor volare lights I could use the housings from without tearing apart my Aspen ones.
This thread here: 80 Mirada,. Guy has a Mirada and did a stellar job with the fabrication.

I chickened out and went with conversion bulbs from superbrightled.com. If I had another set of taillights it's still something I might do later on.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
A few years back, I picked up a second pair of Fifth Ave taillights for a sequential taillight conversion.
At the time, I was going to get a set of mustang sequential taillights with circuit board (the older version that uses bulbs instead of LEDS) and carry over the electronics (and bulb sockets if needed) – which should work well in the long taillights on my ’86 Fifth Ave.
The Mustang and Fifth Ave use a three-bulb per side system.
Note: that project is a distance from the top of my list of things to get done. It will happen, but most likely not in 2020.

Sense that time, I’ve seen a lot of fancy LED’s used for taillights and have thought of doing something more like what @80mirada has done, maybe.

There is more room to use sequential taillights on the newer M body than on F’s.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
My '08 Mustang has sequential signals/brake lights and I'm embarrassed to say, I don't know how they're controlled (separate module, by the smart junction box a.k.a. body control module, or other). Now I'm curious and have to find out!:D

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven’t had one in my hands to look at myself (yet), but my “understanding” is the sequential circuitry comes with the taillamp assembly (either the bulb version and a different version for the LED lamp version). Sense I don’t have firsthand knowledge of that to be the fact, don’t go out and buy one going by what I may or might not know.

I’ve “heard” a person can upgrade certain year mustangs with a taillamp (bulb type) exchange only. The LED type lamp doesn’t fit the older cars.
Now you know as much as I do about Mustangs.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
I see there's aftermarket sequential conversions that look like it's part of the harness and work with LED's. Mine are factory but it almost has to be done at the taillight itself, there aren't enough wires to have it done way up front in the SJB. The way I read it, LED's wouldn't work with the factory set up (I could be wrong).

Darn it, now I really HAVE to find out how they work. Why? Just because.:)

Aspen500

Reaction score
To dig up an old thread, I finally looked at the t-light harness in my Mustang and there is a small circuit board type thing taped inside the harness for the sequential signals/brake lights. It's about the size of half a postage stamp, maybe 3 mm thick, one on each side.

Aspen500

Reaction score
So, you're going to make me pull the trim panel back again? OK, if I must:D

It's on the taillight sub harness, not the vehicle harness.

DSC00401.JPG

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you!
That is what I've heard, but wasn't sure of the exact details.

The next time I'm at a pull-a-part, I'll look into getting those.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Not all Mustang's have sequential signals, at least the '05-'08 models. It's odd that mine does since it's a base model with only a couple other options (5 speed auto trans and single disc CD stereo). Not sure if all from '09 and up have sequential or if it was still an option. I may own one but I'm not a Mustang fanatic and am FAR from being an expert on them!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
According to my information (and I’m not a Ford expert), the sequential taillights came out (again) for 2010 Mustangs – and those used LED bulbs. I would think the driver (the chip or Printed Circuit Board) for bulb’s might be different for LED’s sense they use less power – but have no idea.

Your picture looks like this kit: https://www.amazon.com/Mustang-05-0...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00CHRSA6U so I would guess someone upgraded it before you purchased the car (maybe).

I bet if I could find a pair of those chips, I could get ‘em to work for me.
BudW

Camtron

Reaction score
I was hoping you were talking about Ryan's car. I'm hoping he heads down my direction this summer, may find an excuse to send mine down the track if he does.
Yea, he’s got a nice lil build going on his car. The tail lights stood out, can’t recall seeing it done on another FMJ.

Back