Custom build for Led tail lights

F Body General Discussion

1. Mopargirl80

Mopargirl80 New Member

Toying around with the idea of making a custom taillight build with LED's for my 80 Aspen. Instead of plug and play LED's I'm thinking of using led tube strips to lay out a design. Just curious if anyone would know of a tail light housing from another make and model that would fit the 80 Aspen besides the Volaré? I was originally planning to build upon the stock taillights but it would be cool to have options if there is anything else that could possible work.

2. Duke5A

Duke5A Well-Known Member

This thread here: 80 Mirada,. Guy has a Mirada and did a stellar job with the fabrication.

I chickened out and went with conversion bulbs from superbrightled.com. If I had another set of taillights it's still something I might do later on.

Mopargirl80 likes this.
  3. Mopargirl80

Mopargirl80 New Member

A buddy of mine had lens' 3d printed so that is another possible option. I have a pair of donor volare lights I could use the housings from without tearing apart my Aspen ones.

4. brotherGood

brotherGood Well-Known Member

Wait...whut?

5. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

A few years back, I picked up a second pair of Fifth Ave taillights for a sequential taillight conversion.
    At the time, I was going to get a set of mustang sequential taillights with circuit board (the older version that uses bulbs instead of LEDS) and carry over the electronics (and bulb sockets if needed) – which should work well in the long taillights on my ’86 Fifth Ave.
    The Mustang and Fifth Ave use a three-bulb per side system.
    Note: that project is a distance from the top of my list of things to get done. It will happen, but most likely not in 2020.

Sense that time, I’ve seen a lot of fancy LED’s used for taillights and have thought of doing something more like what @80mirada has done, maybe.

There is more room to use sequential taillights on the newer M body than on F’s.
    BudW

6. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

My '08 Mustang has sequential signals/brake lights and I'm embarrassed to say, I don't know how they're controlled (separate module, by the smart junction box a.k.a. body control module, or other). Now I'm curious and have to find out!:D

7. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

I haven’t had one in my hands to look at myself (yet), but my “understanding” is the sequential circuitry comes with the taillamp assembly (either the bulb version and a different version for the LED lamp version). Sense I don’t have firsthand knowledge of that to be the fact, don’t go out and buy one going by what I may or might not know.

I’ve “heard” a person can upgrade certain year mustangs with a taillamp (bulb type) exchange only. The LED type lamp doesn’t fit the older cars.
    Now you know as much as I do about Mustangs.
    BudW

8. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

I see there's aftermarket sequential conversions that look like it's part of the harness and work with LED's. Mine are factory but it almost has to be done at the taillight itself, there aren't enough wires to have it done way up front in the SJB. The way I read it, LED's wouldn't work with the factory set up (I could be wrong).

Darn it, now I really HAVE to find out how they work. Why? Just because.:)