1. WANT TO BE FEATURED IN OUR 2019 CALENDAR???
    For details, click here: Be Part of our 2019 Mopar Calendar
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Oldiron440

Oldiron440 Well-Known Member

That should burn a few retinas!

2. 80mirada

80mirada Well-Known Member

They are plenty bright

3. 80mirada

20180613_194640.jpg
    I got one backup light made, just need to make locators to keep it in place.

4. Duke5A

Duke5A Well-Known Member

Really like to hear more on the process of how you're putting the tail lights together. Converting over to LED has been on my list and I was just going to use the retrofit bulbs, but this is on orders of magnitude better.

5. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

In my garage is a pair of decent M-body tail lamps (Yes, I know nothing like either J-body lamps) that I want to convert to sequential taillights, and to convert to LED, possibly.

I have so many other projects that is taking my spare time (and spare coin) that I hadn’t had a chance to get into this much – but I’m very eager to know more details like lamp source(s), and so forth for my upcoming project.

At this point, I have been considering using one of two different Mustang sequential tail light setups, one is LED and other uses incandescent bulbs.
    Note: I’m not looking for anything fancy or expensive. Most M-bodies has a lot of taillight area to work with.

So, more pictures and details, please.
    BudW

6. 80mirada

I will post more when I have some detail pictures done

7. 80mirada

20180624_211216.jpg

The tools I used: wire stripper, crimping plier, soldering Iron, heat sink, solder probes, hot glue gun, multi-meter, 12 volt power source (drill battery), zip tie gun, mini pliers, wire cutter, ruler, painter's tape, a variation snips (scissors work too), sharpie, pencil and a heat gun. Some tools are optional

8. 80mirada

20180624_211658.jpg

Supplies: 18ga wire to match original harness, 22-20ga wire to wire LEDs, 5050 SMD LEDs on 5m rolls (I use three red and one white), shrink tubing, crimp connectors, 60-40 electrical solder, and 4" zipties.

9. 80mirada

20180624_211841.jpg

Supplies: cardboard to make a template, corrugated plastic to mount the LEDs

10. 80mirada

Before I go any further, some helpful knowledge. When putting LEDs into a light it is important to use ones that are the same color as you intend for it to light up. White will shine through a red lens as white with a pink tint. The LEDs I use are mounted in three LED circuits wired for 12 volts, and adhesive backed. They are available with a weatherproof coating.

20180624_215127.jpg
    They have cut lines between each circuit with contacts for wiring them. They are available on Ebay, Geek, and Superbriteleds.com.

Your taillight housings and probably the lenses will require some modifications.