Dash pad removal

Magnum Aspen

Reaction score
I am looking to have the dash pad refurbished.
I have reviewed the FSM regarding removal and it indicates to remove some screws and it should come out.
My question to anyone who has done this before is is it really that easy? Are there any tips or suggestions?

I did this on My B body in January and it was much more involved than expected.

Aspen500

Reaction score
It is basically just a few screws, above the and to the side of the cluster, up through the holes in the glove box and then the 4 by the windshield and it slides right out. Not bad at all. Don't remember right now but I think the a-pillar trim needs to come off as well.

LSM360

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure A pillar trim stays on. It's been a little while but I believe it's the dash pad and speaker cover that has to come off to remove the screw holding A pillar in.

As Aspen500 wrote it's pretty simple really.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure A pillar trim stays on. It's been a little while but I believe it's the dash pad and speaker cover that has to come off to remove the screw holding A pillar in.

As Aspen500 wrote it's pretty simple really.
I think you are correct on the a-pillar screw, digging way back in the memory banks.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I'm not sure if there's a screw under there but the dash does overlap it.

Magnum Aspen

Reaction score
I had my dash pad recovered by ABC Moparts.
I am very pleased with the results. They were able to match the original tan interior color. The original pad was sent and they used it as a color sample.
See attached picture.

I hope the forum finds this helpful.

20220602_151557.jpg

LSM360

Reaction score
I bought an Accuform Dash Cap for my Aspen and it was very good! Painted it to match with SEM interior paint, which is also great. More work involved than a replacement pad but well worth it.

mopower76

Reaction score
I had my dash pad recovered by ABC Moparts.
I am very pleased with the results. They were able to match the original tan interior color. The original pad was sent and they used it as a color sample.
See attached picture.

I hope the forum finds this helpful.

View attachment 49050
What did they charge to redo the pad? It looks beautiful!!!
Dirty G is Super Budget so it was going to eventually get a cap but would always prefer a good replacement.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Their website says "from $349" for the pad. It doesn't specify but maybe colors other than red or black are slightly more?
Sounds like a lot but, considering the work to strip the pad to the bare frame, attach/mold new foam, mold the new vinyl, etc., not to mention what it cost them before the first one was made, it's priced darn reasonable (JMO).

Last edited:

Magnum Aspen

Reaction score
I have unfortunately misplaced the invoice, but I do not believe that they charged a premium for other colors. There was a rather long lead time, months, to get the proper color material.

kmccabe56

Reaction score
I am looking to have the dash pad refurbished.
I have reviewed the FSM regarding removal and it indicates to remove some screws and it should come out.
My question to anyone who has done this before is is it really that easy? Are there any tips or suggestions?

I did this on My B body in January and it was much more involved than expected.
It really is "that" easy. Having done this a number of times, the best way I've found is to remove the pad and instrument panel top plate as an assembly and then separate the pad from the i/p panel. And, if you're intent on upgrading to a four speaker system in your car, now's the time to find that top panel from a Fifth Avenue to get the extra speaker holes. Using magnetized screw drivers or sockets to get the screws at the defroster outlets is a good idea too.

Back