Does anyone remember this ?

M Body General Discussion

1. picklesgarage

picklesgarage Well-Known Member

So this is from the April 2002 Popular Hot Rodding. Was an idea section on remodeling some 80s cars. Loved this concept. Part of the reason i had always wanted one and why i bought the one i did.
    Does anyone know if anyone tried to follow this and build it as it was conceptualized?

april02PHR.jpg

Duke5A, beatersRus and Elwood P Dowd like this.
  2. 80mirada

80mirada Well-Known Member

I remember seeing that article, I don't know if anyone has built one like it

3. picklesgarage

picklesgarage Well-Known Member

my guess is no. but even some inspiration for the ideas. like tucking the bumpers. i think that would improve the lines and the profile.

4. Mikes5thAve

Mikes5thAve Well-Known Member

I never saw anything wrong with the bumpers. It helps that the front one is point and on 5th avenues anyway the rear one seems to look better the way the license plate is in it with the bumper guards closer. R body ones on the other hand do need something...

I always thought these cars would look a bit newer if they had composite headlights like GM did with their cars instead of the old bulbs.

The first gen 300C sort of picks up where the FWD 5th Avenues and dynasty left off. It would be interesting to see someone take one of those and add some of the design ques into it. That actually fit the style of the car that is, not just hitting up JC Whitney and slapping a bunch of low buck chrome trim all over it.. no offense to anyone who's done thato_O

Justwondering likes this.
  5. MoparDan

MoparDan Well-Known Member

I never liked the look of those composite lights personally, cheapens the look, I used to have an '88 Olds Touring Sedan with those lights and never liked them, I wanted to change them the square lights, but it was just a temporary car until I could find another M-body... Had a friend with two Cadillac Fleetwood Broughams an '87 and a '90 I think, one had square lights, the other had composite lights, the composite light car looked a lot cheaper I thought (and so did my friend)

6. Mikes5thAve

I always thought the opposite- the GMs with the square headlights made them look cheap and old and the composite lights took them up a notch and made them look newer. The later square Caprices, Cadillacs, even the Buick Century and Cutlasses looked better with them and made them look a bit newer without wrecking the over all look of the car.

beatersRus likes this.
  7. MoparDan

MoparDan Well-Known Member

I always though they looked plainer and cheaper, to each their own I guess. I wonder what would've happened if they had offered the cars both ways, I wonder which would've sold better

8. Mikes5thAve

My guess would be the ones with the newer lights because at the time the vehicles they made the changes to did get a boost in sales. But it wasn't just the lights that changed and pretty much all those vehicles ran their course and it was either make changes or discontinue them.
    I only brought it up to begin with because the sketch in the original post shows long single headlights instead of the quad setup.

beatersRus likes this.
  9. Opticon77

Opticon77 Well-Known Member

Keeping the landau top shape and rear window angle but converting it to metal would be just silly.

MoparDan likes this.
  10. volare 77

volare 77 Well-Known Member

I like the look. Would have been nice to see one.

11. 8T2TOP

8T2TOP Well-Known Member

Looks like a Foose before Foose was on the scene..