Dogs

Justwondering

Reaction score
I have 3 dogs.
My dad's old dog came to live with us after he died.
She's mostly Australian Shepherd. Deaf, nearly blind but smart! - Annie

A brittney adopted out of a kennel after being left there 2 years.
Needy, fast, but hopelessly gun shy. - Texas Ranger

A mongrel brindle that walked up out of the woods just a tiny pup.
Eye sight sucks, kinda goofy, very big and is the lead dog but doesn't want to be.
He'd rather be a follower. - Tater Tot

I have 1 husband.
Teaches the dogs new things. Like howling in song as they come up the stairs.
How to chase tennis balls. And spotting squirrels in trees.

I woke up this morning to let the dogs out to run (135 acres), feed them, and
USUSALLY they come back in to settle down for digestion and wait for husband to
get up and lead them through their day.

But today... at 6 freaking 30... on a Saturday when I was looking forward to sleeping in,
cold front moved through yesterday so its cooooold outside (at least for me)...
Today... Annie comes in to lay down.
Tater and Tex decide they should chase the huge red squirrel that lives near the house.
It must be nearly as big as a cat.
Tater and Tex decide that its better to chase the squirrel if they start barking at it...
at 6 freaking 30 in the morning.
Have they ever barked at squirrels before. Well no.
Did their tiny little pea brains decide that this morning, of all mornings, would be the best time to add in barking with squirrel-chasing. Well yes.
Is anyone out there with a rifle to shoot the squirrel. No

But the best thing to do at 6:30 on Saturday morning is act like idiotheads chasing a squirrel from tree to tree and barking at the top of your lungs while completely IGNORING calls to come back to the house.

Do they come when I call -- heck no.
Do they come when I go down and remind them to come upstairs -- heck no.
They just give me a slight glance and keep working that tree.

Does the squirrel purposely aggravate them -- well of course.
Does this go on for a freaking hour -- well of course.
Do I get to sleep in on Saturday --- well of course NOT.

Does my husband sleep through all this -- well of course.
Sometimes being a morning person with barking dogs is an aggravating way to start your day.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I'm not a dog person unless you have lots of land like you.
These stupid city folks and the dog crap everywhere/ barking in town irks me.

I do understand pets as friends though.
In the 90's I had a bird, a male red fronted Kakariki, who I only can describe as 'scary' smart.

Not the fact he was like a year old and figured out light switches by himself, later in life when I wasn't home, he'd turn on the TV and change the channels to watch what he wanted.

Kid shows and soap operas was mainly what he watched.
All My Children or General Hospital, never Young and Restless.
What IQ is the target of these shows?

I have lot of other scary smart stories.
In todays age and touch pads, he'd be buying Amazon behind my back.

After he died, I got a pair of brothers like the first bird.
I will NEVER say they were dumb, as they had smarts too, but where no where close to the first one.

Like a very good collie and Lassie.
The good collie, as good as it is, doesn't save Timmy 4x a week.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I've got a min-pin, she was the booby prize in my divorce, exwife's dog but the house was mine before the marriage free and clear. So she is renting, no pets, so I got stuck with a ten year old dog and I'm a cat person!
Don't get me wrong, I tell people I sleep with an old girl every night and she's a dog. Lol I live with my six year old grandson and I tell him she's his dog but I'm her person. I always have been, go figure.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The min-pin is 12+ now, I don't miss my crazy ex but I will probably cry when the little old lady dies.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
We have two mostly black, but some tan and some brown Chihuahuas mixed (or I think mostly Chihuahua . . . ) dogs.

We kinda ended up with them from other family members and thought the kids would like them.

The dogs disliked me, big time, after we got both of them (must be the white beard) – but now, they want to be beside me wherever I go.

If I could stand a dog on top of the other one’s back – both would just barely be over a foot tall.

I own an acre of land, inside Oklahoma City limits – but live, more or less, in a forest. Over 120 large White Oak and another 20 of other kinds of trees. Yes, plenty of squirrels to keep the dogs riled up.
BudW property.JPG

The black + is my house. The white +’s are my two detached garages. The white arrow is my white ’97 Dodge ¾ ton pickup

When the kids are out walking the dogs, the squirrels will intentionally run right in front of the dogs and go up on back side of tree. While dogs are looking for the invader, the squirrel will jump trees, run back down another tree, run up behind the dogs, jump over them and linger about 3 foot above the dogs (on side of tree), just to get dogs riled up, again.

The other day, the smaller dog, got a squirrel by the leg.
I hadn’t seen a squirrel in a month, now . . .
BudW

Justwondering

Reaction score
Your dogs are better at catching squirrels than mine.

I took the dogs over to the goat pen the other day when I was breaking ice in the water troughs and I'll be danged if the oldest, most deaf, blindest dog (my dad's Annie) comes back to the house with a recently living bird (yellow breasted something or other).

I had to make her spit the thing out so and she stands there with feathers drifting from her mouth looking at me like I couldn't possibly be chastising her great achievement.

The other two knuckleheads were just absolutely clueless.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Another thing about my first Kakariki, he was a tough guy compared to the two wimp brothers I got later.

G/F got a cat, poor cat.
Bet the cat was real happy when she moved out.

My Kakariki would yell at the outdoor birds and get all 'hulked' up.
I had a like a 5x8 pic of another Kakariki, and if I showed him the pic, he would just go ballistic.
Bite marks all over the pic.
And he was never a biter with my body parts.

The two wimpy brothers I got later, same pic, they where outta there.
Monty Python-Run Away.

Last edited:
Back