Dream Car

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Oct. 2015 003.jpg

David Clarks post this past Monday about "winning the lottery" got me thinking about what would be my "dream car" if money were not an issue. Well, I love a lot of different cars, not just F bodies, and not just Mopars, but, I will limit this particular "dream" to the Mopar F which is about my most favorite of all. In thinking about this, I realized that I already own close to my "F dream car": Old Yellow, my '78 base Aspen wagon /6 four speed in "Classic Cream" (light yellow) with butterscotch plaid SE interior (my modification).
Of all the F's, my favorite is the '78 Aspen, very closely followed by the '76/'77 Volare. This preference has to do mainly with the grille style. Of all the years for both Volare and Aspen ('76 - '80), I prefer 1978. A lot of the quality and rust problems were fixed by then, and they had shed a few pounds. The '79's changed mainly in colors and interior fabrics and vinyl, but I like the '78's colors better.
As far as exterior color goes, I think my favorite is that Cinnamon Brown metallic that I think was only offered on the '76's, (and maybe the '77's, but I don't think so). That was the color of my first and favorite F wagon, a '76 Volare Premere 4 speed that I drove all over the country back in 1978. Second choice would probably be dark green followed very closely by that mint green that I think first appeared in '77. My third choice would be what I already have, Classic Cream, which was only available for the '78 model year. I am generally not a fan of black cars, but I have to say that the metallic black Volare Premere parts wagon that I got my plaid interior out of must have been a beautiful car in its heyday.
Of the body styles, it's hands down the wagon! What a perfectly sized, perfectly designed, and downright attractive style that is - no matter the year or model. Second would be the T-top coupes, preferably '78 or '79. I never cared so much for the Sport Wagons, but I wouldn't kick one out of the garage either. RT's and RR's of course are always desirable.
Now for drivetrain. Old Yellow has the indestructible, but mild mannered Super Six. That's an engine that I do love, but for my dream F, I would like a 340. Not a 360, but a 340 from about 1970 or '71. Old Yellow's 4 speed overdrive is great, but I wonder if it would be even more fun with an earlier non-overdrive 4 speed? I suppose either would be fine.
As far as trim level, I like the plain Jane looks of Old Yellow's base wagon "lack-o-trim". Even down to the roof rack delete. No wood siding either please, but I will take the rear air deflector and dual remote mirrors with fender top turn signals and bumper guards. And fortunately, I have all of them (at least some ready to be installed).
Interior is a different story. Didn't care for OY's plain vinyl bench seat with buttons and cigarette burns - downright uncomfortable. It's the SE upgraded 60/40 interior in plaid for me. Can't get more '70's than that. I also would want at least the stereo four speaker AM/FM, perhaps with 8 track player, or best of all, the AM/FM CB transceiver. Luckily, I have all that. What more I would like would be cruise control with tilt, working AC, power windows and locks and power seats. In other words, a LOADED SE interior with plain Jane exterior.
Wheels. I like them all. OY came with plain black wheels with pie plate caps. I still have a set of really nice Rally wheels off my deceased T-top Aspen that were going to go on OY until I got the set of Road Wheels off the black parts Volare. They are my favorite. But, I also have always really liked the Turbo Thrust aftermarket wheels. I just don't happen to have any, so...
Anyway, that would be close to my dream F body - at least at this moment. I am interested to know what others on this site might build as their dream car, F, M, J, or otherwise if money were taken out of the equation. Lets hear it!

Darter6

Reaction score
Loved your story..My 80 Volare' wagon was a great car. Blue/Blue with a slant. I bought it at Chryslers at Carlisle about 12 years ago.Drove it cross country to Nevada. Like most ,,''I let that one get away".Man wish I had it today..

old yellow 78

Reaction score
456.JPG
484.JPG
Loved your story..My 80 Volare' wagon was a great car. Blue/Blue with a slant. I bought it at Chryslers at Carlisle about 12 years ago.Drove it cross country to Nevada. Like most ,,''I let that one get away".Man wish I had it today..
Sorry you let your '80 get away! The '80's are even more difficult to find than the earlier years. Mopar had several blues that could be ordered, but strangely the dark blue available on the coupes and sedans wasn't on the wagons. Interesting that you found it at Chryslers At Carlisle, particularly that long ago. I go almost every year, but never see many F's. Must have been a fun road trip to drive it back to Nevada! I bought OY sight unseen near Pueblo Colorado a few years back and then flew out and drove it home to Pennsylvania without much problem at all. It was a great road trip!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
My ‘77 came with the black 14” wheels and dog dishes (in the trunk) and the previous owner (I’m the third owner) installed mags (and a loud muffler). I can’t wait to get both changed out soon.

One of my planned upgrades are 11” drum and 11¾” brake rotors – so the 14” wheels got to go (to make room).

Also, I like my cars to be quiet (it attracts a lot less attention that way).
BudW

20160415_120542r.jpg

old yellow 78

Reaction score
My ‘77 came with the black 14” wheels and dog dishes (in the trunk) and the previous owner (I’m the third owner) installed mags (and a loud muffler). I can’t wait to get both changed out soon.

One of my planned upgrades are 11” drum and 11¾” brake rotors – so the 14” wheels got to go (to make room).

Also, I like my cars to be quiet (it attracts a lot less attention that way).
BudW
Nice looking wagon! Actually, I kind of like the wheels. The blue is great too! You never see that color anymore! I also don't like loud cars anymore. Must be a getting old thing, I'd much rather be able to hear music or even just the mechanics of the car instead of some BLAATTT from the exhaust.

Back