Exterior Opera Window Trim

BeesInBeards

Reaction score
How is the exterior opera window trim held on to the car? Clips, glue, wishes, etc?

I know the regular window trim is held by metal clips in the channel, and the vinyl top trim is held by plastic clips, but can't tell about the opera window trim and don't want to destroy them during their removal.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Is that the opera trim you're talking about? aka the landau roof?
If so to simplify what Justwondering wrote up in that post for the rear doors upto 88 there's a philips screw on the top of it you can see when you open the door and rivets under the trim and vinyl at the bottom.
For 1988/89 and the long roof two tone cars it's held on by nuts from the other side of the panel. To get to them you pry off the padded triangle panel from the inside of the door and remove the rest of the trim panel to get to them.
For the roof itself pull out the big padded interior panel around the rear window and the strips over the doors to drop the headliner enough to get to the nuts that hold the trim on that goes over the roof, remove the black strips from inside the rear door frames and gently pry off the trim around the bottom of the roof and peel back the vinyl to get to the 20 some-odd rivets that hold the roof cap on.

Justwondering

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, there were two rivets at the bottom of the opera window under the vinyl covering if you are going that far into removing things.

If you do replace the vinyl, don't cut it too short over the opera window covering (like I did) or there will be a gap between the edge of the vinyl and the chrome cover piece.

Audition it a couple of times and mark it carefully -- or -- you could just make everyone stand 20 foot away and no one will ever notice.

JW

Back