F-body wagon back seat.

Locomotion

Reaction score
Not sure if I want to get one yet, but would like to get more info and see what's out there.
I'm in Florida, so closer would be better if I decide on it.

* What years interchange? I have a '78 Aspen wagon.

* How much does the back seat assembly weigh?

* Do they fold down flat as an extension of the cargo area?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I just so happen to drive my wagon, today – so I went out a too few pictures.
20180122_173029 r.jpg

20180122_173055 r.jpg

Unlatched and seat forward about 20 degrees. The floor pan/trunk pan is the same as sedans.

20180122_173104 r.jpg

Open a bit more.

20180122_173114 r.jpg

Just before seat latches.

20180122_173125 r.jpg

Latched.

20180122_173135 r.jpg

rear view (ignore the poor mans carpet protector I'm using).

I’m 90% sure the seat bottom is the same (wagon, sedan or coupe). The seat back is not.

I’ve not compared them, but was told the wagon seat back is the same as what is used on 2-doors that also use fold down seats (but that is not confirmed).

There is one seat button (top and center) that controls two different latches.

The seat folded down does not sit flat – because of the seat bottom (foam/spring) compression. You put a little weight on it and the floor will be almost level.
In this state (as pictured), it is a bit higher in front than the rear half.

The complaint I do have about the F & M-body wagons is carpet (not staying on/attached) as well as a huge place to lose things in the cavity behind rear seat bottom.
Then again, that spot might be a great place to hide things (maybe).
In my case, it appears to be hiding trash from my kids.

To answer your questions:
- I’m not sure I understand. The basic shell is the same from ’76 until end of production (’81), with a couple of exceptions:
The tailgate/taillights are different on some M-bodies (the other M’s are the same as all F’s).
’80 and up fenders (F & M) are the same – but different from ’76-79 F-body.
Some M-body rear doors have some cosmetic differences (much like how 5th Ave rear doors are cosmetically different from other M-bodies are.

If you are looking for a wagon, an M-body might be a better choice – but I will say they are a LOT harder to find.

- Not sure about weight of the back upper seat - twenty-five pounds, maybe. I don’t recall having one out of the car, before.

- See above.

If I found a good chassis but car needed interior redone in it – I might consider changing dash over to M-body and install 5th Ave seats into it – like what a member or two here has done.
BudW

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I’m 90% sure the seat bottom is the same (wagon, sedan or coupe). The seat back is not.

I’ve not compared them, but was told the wagon seat back is the same as what is used on 2-doors that also use fold down seats (but that is not confirmed).
I'm pretty sure that the coupe with the fold-down rear seat option uses the wagon seat back. I think the rear seat bottom is the same for sedans and wagons, but it is different from the coupe. Both ends towards the door are more rounded on the sedans/wagons, but more squared off on the coupes. The F & M wagons are great cars! Huge amount of space with the seat folded down, and they lay almost flat with a slight rise at the front like Bud says. They are very easy to remove, and not heavy at all. The seat back seems to be mostly foam on some sort of frame. I believe that all years of F's and M's interchange. I know that I used a '79 Diplomat seats, front and rear, in my '77 Volare wagon.

Locomotion

Reaction score
As usual. a very detailed reply!
The reason I'm asking is that it's for a Stock class race car. The original owner stripped it pretty thoroughly, within the rules, including the back seat, to fit it in a lighter class. A car has a "natural" class based on published shipping weight and engine HP rating and can move up or down one class by adding or subtracting weight based on its lb/per HP factor. My '78 360 wagon is a natural J/Stock Automatic but can also fit into I or K by subtracting/adding 145 lbs respectively. There can be advantages & disadvantages to "moving". I want the option of changing classes with weight between J & K, particularly to get into a class that may have the least amount of like-classed cars in it at a particular event. Class racing is similar to bracket racing with dial-ins which must be at or below a minimum performance standard called an "index". However, when 2 like-classed cars meet in eliminations, it's heads-up, first to the finish without redlighting wins. In my situation, most others have a lot more money & resources to go faster, so I want to avoid heads-up races at the moment and use my driving and consistency rather than even more money to win rounds.

So basically, I'm trying to determine the feasibility & cost of adding weight here & there to get that extra 145 lbs. The car is already has quite a bit of ballast as allowed by the rules so there aren't any areas where a large amount can be added safely & legally.

I guess I'll focus on finding an F-body wagon parts car or consider trying an M-body version. Despite the lightness, perhaps the back seat can help a little with the overall goal.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
rear seat bottom is the same for sedans and wagons, but it is different from the coupe.
You are correct. I was thinking about something different.

A base level F will definitely be lighter than a loaded M.
Matter of fact, a base level F will weigh in less than a loaded F, will.

I need to put my base level ’77 wagon on the scales – and I would bet someone a $5 bill that my wagon weighs the same as, or maybe slightly less than a 4-door version equipped the same.
My wagon “feels” like 800 pounds less than my ’86 5th Ave – but no numbers to confirm that (not that this matters to this thread, any).

FYI, my wagon was built without A/C, radio delete and woodgrain delete. It came with rear defroster, with limited slip (2.94 8¼” w/5-leaf springs) and no other options. Dealer added the radio (I assume).
318 2-bbl, 904 and 14” wheels.

If I was to “guess”, I would guess my wagon, as built, weighs 3200 to 3300 pounds. Again, this is only a guess, based off of how car drives and feels based off of other cars I’ve driven and from jacking vehicle up using a floor jack. This, again, I have no proof of this, yet.

An A/C car with RV2 compressor will weigh a good 200 pounds more, or so (all in front of the car) – and I would guess that most wagons came with A/C (no figures to back this statement up with).

Maybe an original appearing upholstered back seat - that is lined in lead, instead of foam?

Also, the lower D-pillar panels, just under the two rear glove boxes (not sure what you want to call them) might be a great place to add weight to, if needed or wanted.

I’m intrigued with your project (ie: looking forward to more details and pictures).
BudW

Back