Fender Extension Q

83 Doba

Reaction score
The front fender extensions on my 83 Cordoba are lifted up under the headlights as in the photo. Are there any suggestions for the best way to fix this? I see that Chrysler used a tiny bit of now defunct glue to hold the plastic in place. If new glue is the best fix, what type of adhesive is best? I worry that if I were to simply glue it down, it might not stay glued for long, or it might pull the centre plastic piece that its glued to up with it since the plastic is deformed from its original shape and there's some tension. Thoughts?

Thanks!

fender extension.jpg

volare 77

Reaction score
Not sure they were ever glued. They have warped due to age. If you do glue them I would gently heat ( hair dryer) the filler so it would relieve some tension.

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
They were not glued down, when new. Due to a collision, many years ago, one of mine had to be replaced. That one never stayed flat. I tried several different things on it. What worked, was 3m two sided tape, that I put on the bumper But mine was not as bad as yours. Good luck.

83 Doba

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! I may try the tape first, but the heat treatment also seems like it might help. Of course, I could go ultra classy and just put a screw in it for that professional look (no, I'm not going to do that!).

It's interesting that these did not come from factory with any adhesive. On mine, there is a tiny spot of well-expired glue that was applied between the filler and the plastic piece beside it. It seems very paltry and very carefully applied in the same place on both sides of the car, so I didn't think it was someone's attempt to hold the filler down, but who knows what previous owners did to the car in the 34 years before I bought it.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
If it were mine I'd put it under a heatlamp until it formed as needed, probably have to applying a small amount of pressure across the top.
Then let it cool down remove the pressure and hopefully you have the results you want. Sometimes it takes a few times to get what you want but it works.

rukinleon

Reaction score
If it were mine I'd put it under a heatlamp until it formed as needed, probably have to applying a small amount of pressure across the top.
Then let it cool down remove the pressure and hopefully you have the results you want. Sometimes it takes a few times to get what you want but it works.

Think that might work on my fiberglass rear repops?

Back