Fifth Ave Electroluminescent Side Marker Lights

NoCar340

Reaction score
Another thought for this is the inexpensive 12V double-density 3528 LED strips available through places like Amazon. They're cut-to-length about every inch, about 3/8" wide, and don't require an inverter (native 12V). The downside is that they're not perfectly-even lighting, although being behind a diffuser would help. I've been meaning to see if the waterproof coating can be dulled or "diffused" by either chemical (lacquer thinner or acetone) or mechanical (sandblasting) means. I'm not sure if they'd be too bright, though, and I don't have a 5A handy for comparison. The 5050 and 3640 LED strips would definitely be too bright. Though the picture is of "warm white" they are available in cool white, which is close to the purer fluourescent-type white seen on 5A opera lamps. Prices range from $11-$16 USD for a 5-meter strip... you'll have plenty left over!

71QmT8t6i%2BL._SL1000_.jpg

Monkeyed

Reaction score
I don't have a 5A handy ... 5A opera lamps.
I'm really glad you posted this, according to glowhuts site the inverters are rated at "Input amperage: 3 ampere (3A) Higher current might damage EL inverter"

When I did mine I used the cheap chinese ones from ebay, and they did end up burning out. Glowhut also sells inverters that are only rated for .3-1A, but I have no idea what the inverter I got was rated at, or if there even is a consistant rating for them. (Chinese manufacturers are not best known for F$#@s given).

Now it has me wondering if a resistor to knock the amperage down a couple notches would make it last longer or if that changes the voltage? Curse you A- in electronics!!

(I did some research and see the output is what dictates the input amperage, should have probably remembered that, so if the chinese strips take more power than the inverter can handle, then it would burn out. I'll have to do some diagnostics on it.)

Last edited:

NoCar340

Reaction score
Well, "5A" is my shorthand for "Fifth Avenue" but I'm glad it jarred something loose in your noggin. That input rating sounds to me like a current-limiting circuit is needed to protect the inverter from whatever amperage might come down the wire. With LED strips, you can hook a small 3-lamp segment (the minimum) directly across a group 27 battery's terminals and they work just fine. That and the 20,000+ hour rated life might make them a better option, if not as perfectly smooth in appearance. I guess I'd probably put up with a little bit of wrong to not have to do it multiple times.

Mr C

Reaction score
Please post pics when you do.

As requested, here's some pics of my repair with the 12 inch by 1.25 inch strips that I got from glowhut.

As mentioned, glowhut said NOT to cut the strips, so I had to trim the black backing plate to permit the side on the strip to hang outside. I then RTV'd the clear lense over the strip to ensure a seal and prevent fogging.

In the pics you'll see how the strip I got was too wide for the backing plate. Next pic shows the RTV mess, and the last step shows them working on my car!

Thanks to everyone who has posted on how to do this repair!
HPIM2322.JPG
HPIM2323.JPG
HPIM2324.JPG

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Nicely done!

I would love to try this, but think it might be out of my talent league.

Mr C

Reaction score
Nicely done!

I would love to try this, but think it might be out of my talent league.

You can do it. Just follow the instructions as laid out. I'm glad I went for it.

Back