Flushing a \6

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Well - you make good points. Although, the reverse is also true. Grew up on the edge of the Sonoran desert, so this seems cool to me.

Believe it or not we do get some roasters up here in ol Hogtown. Stretches of 100 plus aren't unheard of.

There's some years where you get a pretty heavy dynamic of the difference of seasons....lol.

shadango

Reaction score
Distilled water is 100% pure.

Tap water is a stretch from being pure water (lots of minerals, fluoride, and who knows what else).

For flushing, I’m not against using tap water.

Our local Walmart will sell you 2 gallon jugs of distilled water for about $1.00 (US).
While at Walmart (or the store you frequent), compare the expiration date on "drinking water", "spring water" and distilled water. Now you don't know when said items were put on shelf, but you will notice the distilled water has the longest shelf life.

I will dare anyone to take a couple of clean sealable containers, put tap water in one container and distilled water in the other. Set aside for a year and come back to compare results.

So its that time again......gonna change out the coolant in the Volare....Cuda too.....and maybe the Dippy.

Bud, i agree 100% with your advice here.....Thing is, I am fighting myself in my brain again over this....

As has been mentioned, using the garden hose to flush the system leaves the block full of tapwater......hate to do that. So even if we mix distilled water with the new coolant, the system will still have tap water in it....

But if we just drain the radiator, even by popping the lower hose, the block will still have old coolant in it. I aint messing with the black drains/freeze plugs......

I guess one option would be to go to walmart and buy a pallet of distilled water.......drain the system, refill it with distilled, rinse and repeat a few times til the drain water is clear.....but geez....that might get expensive , no? 3 or 4 refills and drains with ONLY distilled? Probably need - what -- 4 gallons of distilled each rinse?

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
I'm gonna throw a bomb out there;
since 1969, when I got my license, I have never installed anything but tap water, or used anything but tap-water to mix down coolant, for any of my cars, ever , including my Barracuda, which has a 1973 rad in it, that I have had since it was ~4 years old, taking it from one Mopar to another.
I have read all the literature pertaining to this procedure, but what can I say; if it ain't broke don't fix it,lol.
Having said that, I have taken quite a few engine apart that were sludged up, over the years.

shadango

Reaction score
Well, we did the Volare......

We used air, pushed the coolant out of the heater core.....filled it with distilled water , did the air again....

Then we moved to the heater hoses......capped the radiator, opened the petcock, pushed air thru one hose while the other was plugged.......changed hoses and repeated.....

Filled the system with distilled water...ran it til the stat opened......did the same air deal......

Then filled the system while it burped.....about two gallons.....

Capped the rad, tightened everything.....

Ran it til normal temp....then 5 more minutes.......its cooling now but I cant see it taking another gallon.....The cooling system should be about 13 quarts on a slant, isnt it?

So all I can figure is we didnt get the block flushed as much as we wanted and there was water still in there.......

Sigh....

Now its no longer a 50/50 mix, in theory.

I used two different antifreeze testers and they both show 1.4 balls floating.....about 0 to +5 degrees protection.....for the coolant in the car after running it .....

The kicker is, though, that the fresh jug of 50/50 mix I am using ALSO shows the same.....

The jug claims -40 protection with 50/50 mix I made........

So, I started thinking maybe the new jigs I bought, marked as full strength, are actually mislabeled 50/50 premix. SO I tested the jig of 505/50 mix I made a few years back for my cuda for in the trunk....it tests the same as the fresh stiff I mixed.

WTH is going on???

But the

Last edited:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Thing's changed when all the aluminum part's came into play, heads, blocks and radiators etc. even the insurance companies required premixed antifreeze in there customer's cars. The mix of steel aluminum and iron along with the minerals in hard water make for a caustic cocktail.

Back