Four barrel for 318?

Engines, Exhaust and Fuel Systems

1. 78VOLAREWAG

78VOLAREWAG Well-Known Member

I picked up a complete @ 85 360 4 Barrel, I plan to rebuild at a later time. Any problems with putting the intake and Quadrajet on my 78 318? Kick down is not a problem, mine is a 4 speed. I does, however, use an electric choke on the 4 barrel, and the 318 uses a thermostat in the manifold. Any non expensive suggestions would be appreciated.

2. CM360

CM360 Well-Known Member

That Q jet is a dog. They can be tricked to run well just like the TQ but it costs $@$500.00. Chrysler went from the TQ to the Q jet, not any better. Try an aftermarket carb. The smog motors suffered from all sorts of emission issues. The carbs were the last stop to get emissions down. They all ran like dogs.

3. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

A QJ can be made to work beautifully but it needs someone really good with them to get the right jets, metering rods, metering rod piston springs and hangers, etc.........A late buddy of mine (who died WAY too young) was a wizard with those things. Also depends on what model and year QJ.
    If you go with the QJ, all the electric choke needs is a keyed power source that's powered when the key is in "run". which can be found in the engine compartment. IIRC, the circuits with key on power have a dark blue wire.