Front Seat Belt Story

Justwondering

Reaction score
What a beautiful day.
It turned out to be warmer than expected and the rain was taken out of the forecast.
After a 6 am run to the emergency room, was back home before noon. We live to fight another day.
That 87 5th avenue was calling my name.

Last year I removed the interior trim pieces so I could recover them. Other priorities got in the way but the main sticking point was with the pillar connection for the front passenger seat belt.

A wee bit of rust at the spot weld caused the entire holding plate/nut assemble to bust loose and drop down to the bottom of the pillar.

IMG_3804.jpg
What it should look like. Pillar, exterior bracket and bolt to hold it in place.

What I had after I removed the trim:
IMG_3805.jpg

bolt, seatbelt (clip end), and the interior retaining plate/nut that receives the bolt within the pillar.

Here is the view:
IMG_3806.jpg
Notice the small irrigular hole above the large center hole.
--- Post updated ---
So the goal is to reattach the interior plate to the pillar.

I could do this:
bpillarexample.jpg

But I didn't want to cut and weld on the pillar with the seats and covered trim in the car.

So I had another idea:
IMG_3808.JPG

The theory is:
Cut a piece of the glue stick and screw it into the plate/nut.
Use the jbweld to get it to adhere to the inside of the pillar.

First grind off the spot weld
IMG_3814.JPG

Cut off a piece of glue stick and screw it into the nut. Having forgotten to paint the raw metal, go ahead and spray some paint on it and the glue stick.
IMG_3817.JPG

Thread about a 2 foot piece of welding wire into the glue stick.

IMG_3828.JPG

Thread the welding wire (with the convenient little hook end), up through the center of the pillar and wiggle it til you get it near the hole. Used a pair of long nose pliers to pull it through the hole.
--- Post updated ---
Make sure you have the jbweld mixed and cover the interior plate (do not get it too close to the threads).
IMG_3819.JPG

Coat the plate.
IMG_3820.JPG

Pull it up through the pillar and use the excess wire to wind around the headrest to give it tension. I did use my pinky to wipe some jbweld above and below the hole on the inside of the pillar.

IMG_3837.JPG

IMG_3830.JPG

Sit there in the sunshine and marvel at just how great this plan was waiting for the jbweld to set up.
--- Post updated ---
After 4 or 5 minutes, realize that you have a massive FAIL on your hands.

Its about this point when I realize that the pillar is bowed slightly and the plate is obviously flat. Therefore, the plate and all that wonderful jbweld is not even touching the inside of the pillar.

Dang it.

I need a plan B.

Go to the fridge.
Get 'liquid refreshment'.
Sit in the sunshine more.

Plan B:
Clip off the end of the wire and drop the interior plate/nut down out of the pillar.

Get the drill and load a bit that fits the rivets you conveniently have stashed with all the clutter in the trunk of the 5th avenue.
IMG_3833.JPG

Drill two holes on opposite corners, be sure to test the size with the rivet while it is on the bench.

Take your bracket to the car and line it up on the hole so you can mark the rivet locations. You could make a template if you were so inclined.
IMG_3834.JPG

I just held things up and marked used the rivet to scratch the pillar paint so I would know where to drill the pillar holes. And, usually I have both hands up there holding everything but I needed one hand to shoot the picture.

IMG_3836.JPG

Here are the two rivet holes in the pillar. A much better view of the hole created with the spot weld failed.

IMG_3838.JPG

Insert the rivets and wiggle that bracket to line it up with the pillar rivet holes.

IMG_3840.JPG

After the rivet gun was used and rivets snapped into place.
IMG_3842.JPG

Pretty lame picture of pulling the glue stick plug out of the nut.

IMG_3843.JPG

Sit back, in the sunshine, and marvel at how well plan B worked out.

IMG_3835.jpg

IMG_3833.JPG

IMG_3834.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
What is it they say about necessity and invention's mother? Loved reading the story to go with each pic!

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Seat belts, grrrr in NZ we are not allowed the single acting belts you guys have in the USA, Mr government says we must have dual acting belts to get a road worthy. Aka a WOF warrant of fitness. Anyway doba belts mount in the roof so how was I going to get a roof mounting dual acting belt to fit??? About a grand later fixed it, was spitting tacks!! My car now has a brand X approved mount that by share fluke lined up with the doba bolts and now has rare parcel tray mounting seatbelts used for the front seatbelt's what a polava to get that sorted, stung me real hard in the pocket!!!
Oh yeah I diverse great work, my butt checks clinch when I come across those spot welded in blind nuts for your exact reason, glad I have a welder :)

David Clark

Reaction score
Sounds like some shit I would do to try and fix my stuff LOL. Necessity is the mother of all invention I think the saying is. Glad it worked for ya.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Aspen500 -
I think the belts look the same and have 3 point anchors like normal. The difference appears to be what causes them to 'tighten'.

I found the following on a NewZealand transport agency website --- Seatbelts and seatbelt anchorages - NZTA Vehicle Portal:

Note 3
Single-sensitive
means a seatbelt retractor that, during normal driving conditions, allows freedom of movement by the wearer of the seatbelt by means of length-adjusting components that automatically adjust the seatbelt to the wearer, and that comprises a locking mechanism activated in an emergency by deceleration of the vehicle (ie the seatbelt is vehicle sensitive).

Note 4
Dual-sensitive
means a seatbelt retractor that, during normal driving conditions, allows freedom of movement by the wearer of the seatbelt by means of length-adjusting components that automatically adjust the strap to the wearer, and that is activated by two or more of the following:

a) deceleration of the vehicle, or

b) acceleration of the strap from the retractor, or

c) other means of activation.

end-quote

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Yup that's it, if you pull it out fast it locks, if the vehicle tips forward seat belt locks, there is also one called a web grabber or something. Not sure how it works. Don't get be wrong in a side impact dual sensitive could be your worst nightmare as the seat belt locks as you get crushed. Anyway the facts say seatbelts save lives, it doesn't have to be your fault to be in a serious smash! People who don't wear seatbelts in a decent smash seem to exit the front windshield and in general don't seem to survive.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Sounds like they're basically the same. The ones in my car (or '96 Dakota for that matter) will lock if you pull them out too fast and of course, will lock in a crash (sudden deceleration). If the car was tilted far enough, they will lock also when the little pendulum moves forward.
It's such a habit, I find myself putting the belt on just to drive a car out of the shop at work and park it outside, lol. Actually, I've seen every guy in the shop do the same thing at least once! Never understand how anyone could drive a car without the seat belt on. If someone scoffs at a seat belt, see if one of your local police dept's have one of those "convincers" and have them take a ride. It's a trailer with a seat and seat belt. It moves forward at less than 10 mph and then stops instantly. People are always surprised how much force there is.

One of these things:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Yeah I have been in 2 small accidents myself, I was rear ended and another where guy turned infront of me. That wrote both cars off but they were not expensive cars but did push the front left guard in to stop just in front of tire, so was a big bang, I was doing 35mph and hauled on the anchors hard scraped speed off before impact, glad I had my belt on!! The only time I don't wear a belt is when I reverse, but anytime going forward it clicks in ASAP. I find when reversing it to be very annoying and restrictive.

Tell you what, we are right hand drive here, so when I drive the doba I have to turn my head to the right to look at the back window, when you are the passenger next turn your head to the left and look out the back window and see how hard it is :)

Last edited:

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I don't know if it is still the case, but honders used to have small explosive charges on their belts that would cause the belt to fast cinch tight in an accident that fired the air bag.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Most cars now have either single action or dual action exploding mechanisms to cinch the seat belts.
Training to work on them is more compressive than working on air bags.

Back