Full length headers

88_AHB

Reaction score
Hey all,
Was looking for some suggestions and advice for headers for a 88 Diplomat. It currently has the drivetrain out and will be reinstalled soon. I’ve Been researching some, tti headers seem to be really a good choice for fitment and quality but are also $700+. Was also looking at Doug’s headers for a A-body as well that may work?I know it won’t be easy to get them in regardless of the brand,but I thought maybe someone has had good luck with a pair that are reasonably priced.

volare 77

Reaction score
I have TTI headers and they fit fine. and the quality is good. Dougs are a little cheaper but I have not used them to tell you how they fit. Other cheaper headers are going to have the tube that hangs low and seems to always get smashed by speed bumps etc. TTI at one time had a uncoated header that was cheaper and you could then paint them to save a few bucks.

88_AHB

Reaction score
Ok good to hear. I’ve also heard of some people using the summit brand of headers with some good luck as well. I think they’re a knockoff of a Hedman design.

Duke5A

Reaction score
What is going back into the car? With a 300HP 360 the difference between exhaust manifolds and headers is 20 ft/lbs of torque. At that power level they just aren't worth the headache. Pretty much every cheap long tube header is a copy of the variation of the one that has three tubes that route below the steering link and you will bottom these out.

If you absolutely need headers, give these a look: http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsType/SB_Headers.html

88_AHB

Reaction score
I was looking to put the original 318/904 back in it. Putting a cam,intake,carb,higher compression pistons,maybe different heads? So shooting for 300hp? Give or take?

Duke5A

Reaction score
Manifolds with dual 2.25" pipes. Include a balance pipe. It'll give you a growl without being annoying.

88_AHB

Reaction score
Thanks! The higher quality headers do seem tempting.The price tag is a bit much,yes I know you get what you pay for most the time,but hard to justify that little extra HP gains on a small 318.

LSM360

Reaction score
If you are going to run an HP engine than I believe headers are well worth it, IF you go with quality ones! I have TTI and have for years, and swear by them. Never a leak, no headache install, just overall great header and worth the money.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I see this on other forums were guys want to build up there power level but then handicap there efforts in one way or another.
In my opinion and practice over the last 40 + years the exhaust system including headers was the first modification made. This gives all further modifications the benefits of free flowing exhaust.
The foundation of a performance build up in my opinion.

88_AHB

Reaction score
Still thinking it over tti,Doug’s were on my short list. Schumacher makes a nice set even though they’re the most expensive out of All.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I have the dougs. Pretty good fit, but not as good as it should be and the finish hasn't held up very well.

Duke5A

Reaction score
You need to ask yourself if you plan on upgrading down the road. The only header you're going to put on that you can forget about is going to be stainless, and that would have to be custom made. All mild steel headers regardless of manufacturer and coating used are going to rust.

Hell, even if you plan on upgrading I would still use manifolds until you're ready. An upgrade on that motor is most likely going to be heads anyhow. Use the manifolds and if you need headers use the Schumacher pieces later on that can be installed with the motor in the car. Also doing it this way the cam will be broken in with the manifolds. Header coating can be severely damaged with Cam break-in if the tune isn't spot on.

For now, enjoy having your ass cushioned with an additional $700 in cash. :)

88_AHB

Reaction score
You need to ask yourself if you plan on upgrading down the road. The only header you're going to put on that you can forget about is going to be stainless, and that would have to be custom made. All mild steel headers regardless of manufacturer and coating used are going to rust.

Hell, even if you plan on upgrading I would still use manifolds until you're ready. An upgrade on that motor is most likely going to be heads anyhow. Use the manifolds and if you need headers use the Schumacher pieces later on that can be installed with the motor in the car. Also doing it this way the cam will be broken in with the manifolds. Header coating can be severely damaged with Cam break-in if the tune isn't spot on.

For now, enjoy having your ass cushioned with an additional $700 in cash. :)

Very good points,was looking at the LA replacement cast heads that Indy makes and the Aluminum Edelbrock set of heads but still not cheap.
http://indyheads.com/images/maxlaxnewproductlinK.pdf
Edelbrock Performer RPM Cylinder Heads 60779

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Hey, for what it's worth, I've got a set of Headman pipes here, the standard stuff, never left the box...if you're interested let me know...I suspect the shipping charges might suck any feeling of "deal" out of it...but hey, happy to try to help a fellow M-body nut!

Back