Gas: How Low Can It Go?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Up here in metric land gas has actually bounced below a buck a liter for regular....I buy nothing but premium and the last time I filled up I think it was $1.12/liter. To put it in perspective...in the summer I was paying around $1.60/liter. And they say it's going to continue it's slide....hell....I ain't complaining. :toothy12:

Last edited:

slant6billy

Reaction score
I paid 2.32 a gallon of reg for the Honda and 2.49 for Eve (93 octane). That's BJ's wholesale club. WAWA convience stores are the next cheapest, but the one I hit doesn't have 93 octane. So multiply by 3.8 to get the gallon to liter comparison. BTW, we can't pump our own gas in New Jersey ( you can if Diesel). With Eve, I break that rule, since the F body was never intended for the vapor recapture system on the modern gas nozzle. She spits it out and the spray of gas is scary

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Luckily ours are all self serve....
The Volare loves to puke gas back out if you're not careful.

They seem to hose us pretty good up here.
At one point if you did the conversion I was paying around $5.50/gallon for premium.

Right now I'm paying $4.23/gallon.

Last edited:

Mr C

Reaction score
Luckily ours are all self serve....
The Volare loves to puke gas back out if you're not careful.

They seem to hose us pretty good up here.
At one point if you did the conversion I was paying around $5.50/gallon for premium.

Right now I'm paying $4.23/gallon.

Yup, our Diplomat is a gas puker too...the 5th, not so much. Of note, we got the Diplomat dialed right in since the LB conversion. Starts as soon as I hit the key and I know the mileage is up.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
An Imperial gallon and a US gallon are not the same. A US gallon is 3.8 L, an Imperial Gallon is 4.54L.

To add to that, Canadian dollar-US dolaar exchange keeps moving around.

Gas is 91.9 right now in Calgary.

Kostas

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
An Imperial gallon and a US gallon are not the same. A US gallon is 3.8 L, an Imperial Gallon is 4.54L.

To add to that, Canadian dollar-US dolaar exchange keeps moving around.

Gas is 91.9 right now in Calgary.

Kostas

You are correct Sir....
Although I was working my calculations out based on US gallons
I did not however factor in the exchange rate.
With that in mind it looks like were getting hosed in Ontario as usual.
Regular is about $1.03/liter here.

Mr C

Reaction score
You are correct Sir....
Although I was working my calculations out based on US gallons
I did not however factor in the exchange rate.
With that in mind it looks like were getting hosed in Ontario as usual.
Regular is about $1.03/liter here.

You guys elected that idiot Wynne...you think you're getting hosed now? Wait until you have to pay for her "supplemental pension plan" to the tune of $3200.00 pucks a year in additional tax.

She is such a disaster and they elected her anyway. Collective denial of the fiscal reality in Ontario.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
You guys elected that idiot Wynne...you think you're getting hosed now? Wait until you have to pay for her "supplemental pension plan" to the tune of $3200.00 pucks a year in additional tax.

She is such a disaster and they elected her anyway. Collective denial of the fiscal reality in Ontario.

Trust me.....I surely did NOT vote for Ms Orville Redenbacher.....
I was absolutely positive that nobody could be stupid enough to elect those Crimerals in again after the financial crevice search we took from McDickhead....I obviously grossly underestimated the stupidity of a large number of people in this province......you are correct though.
Until we rid ourselves of these incompetent parasites we are screwed.

That being said.....I guess I should try to keep the politics under the radar.
It never goes well.....for the record though...my blood is blue.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
If you factor out the taxes, the cheapest price for gasoline in Canada is usually in Southern Ontario. Hard to believe, but it is usually $0.01 to $0.03/L cheaper there than anywhere else in Canada, probably due to sheer volume. With taxes factored in, that whole picture changes, and Alberta ends up with gas that is anywhere from $0.10 to $0.40/L cheaper.

Wynne is an issue, not just in Ontario, but for the entire country. She and the clown (Philippe Couillard) in Quebec are blocking the Energy East pipeline from going ahead, which would have been one way to keep revenues going (not just in Alberta, but to Ottawa as well) in a low oil price environment. As it is, they are just slitting their own throats. With federal revenues down, there will be less in transfer payments to those provinces that get federal transfer payment (includes both Ontario and Quebec). In the national sense, we are continuing to buy foreign oil (i.e. financing Moslem/Islamic terrorists) and having money flowing out the country. Makes no sense, but Wynn and Couillard have only themselves to blame when the transfer payments end up being a lot less than they expected.

Regular was $0.0919 this morning in Calgary (Edmonton is usually a bit cheaper).

Kostas

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
If you factor out the taxes, the cheapest price for gasoline in Canada is usually in Southern Ontario. Hard to believe, but it is usually $0.01 to $0.03/L cheaper there than anywhere else in Canada, probably due to sheer volume. With taxes factored in, that whole picture changes, and Alberta ends up with gas that is anywhere from $0.10 to $0.40/L cheaper.

Wynne is an issue, not just in Ontario, but for the entire country. She and the clown (Philippe Couillard) in Quebec are blocking the Energy East pipeline from going ahead, which would have been one way to keep revenues going (not just in Alberta, but to Ottawa as well) in a low oil price environment. As it is, they are just slitting their own throats. With federal revenues down, there will be less in transfer payments to those provinces that get federal transfer payment (includes both Ontario and Quebec). In the national sense, we are continuing to buy foreign oil (i.e. financing Moslem/Islamic terrorists) and having money flowing out the country. Makes no sense, but Wynn and Couillard have only themselves to blame when the transfer payments end up being a lot less than they expected.

Regular was $0.0919 this morning in Calgary (Edmonton is usually a bit cheaper).

Kostas

Well said......
The whole situation makes me sick.

slant6billy

Reaction score
So we might not share the same measuring scale, but our elected folks all seem to come from the same affluent country club, whether up there or down here. Simple rule; cheap gas = good times, but according to economist, it means bad or slow economy. Back in the Early 90s, we elected a governor (I did not vote for this horse face beotch) Christine Todd Whitman. She targeted old cars and invoked a junker-clunker law. Hence, my 76 Volare was on the Most Wanted list by officials (See-through front fenders and typical every day driver body rust). It was a tough couple years. She later went on to run the EPA. Again, targeting old cars, but giving free passes to large corporations for environmental damage. Our current governor is a portly loud-mouth thug (he is a lawyer by trade, not part of the Sopranos). Although, I don't like the guy, he just stopped all the red-light ticket cameras in the state, reduced auto inspections to just OBD2 and tailpipe/ gas cap test (Which is easy to beat - I mean pass, if you can wrench). So in the words of Pink Floyd, "I'm alright Jack, keep your hands off my stack!"

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
Ontario had two problems in the last Provincial election: Hudak , the leader of the Conservative Party - and civil servants. There are a huge number of civil servants, and they turn out to vote for the party that will leave their percs alone. Concerning the price of gas - $.99.9 / litre in Toronto today.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Once harsh reality (in the form of reduced transfer payments from the feds) hits, Wynne will have to make some hard choices. I am willing to bet that some of them won't sit well with the civil servants. I don't expect that this will change much regarding Wynne's opposition to the pipeline, but the inevitable reality will set in. I don't expect that the eastern media will clue in, either, but I have given up on the media a long time ago (took some journalism courses in college, so I can spot biased stories and opinion disguised as objective reporting from a mile away). The overspending by Ontario will eventually get to the point where it is unsustainable (if it isn't there already), and then the fireworks start.

If crude oil stays at $60, Alberta will see revenues fall by $6-7 Billion this year. The feds will see a revenue decline at least twice that (feds get more than twice the tax revenue per barrel than the province of Alberta does). One way to reduce this would be to replace imported oil (which provides zero revenue to either Alberta or the feds) with oil sands oil. However, to do that, the Energy East pipeline would need to go through. It is being held up by Wynne and Coulliard. I suspect that they are too brain dead to realize all of this.

Kostas

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
They are definitely too braindead to grasp many things.
The damage both her/he? and it's predecessor have done to this province will be on the backs of generations to come and they'll smugly walk away scott free telling themselves they did such a great job. Just like that criminal McDickhead....they should all be in prison and if I could just think of a way to get them turfed to the curb I'd do it in a heartbeat.
You have no idea how much it infuriated me that the people in this ass backwards province voted them back in.

Mind you..the gravy runs deep here in Ontari-ari-ario..

greymouser7

Reaction score
I think the oldest members can tell us how low fuel can cost. I wonder if any of them have ever pulled into 'Full Service' before. If you watch Smokey and the Bandit, I think gasoline is listed at the station around 65 cents. I used to work at a gas station in the early 90's and it dropped to a dollar for an American gallon of gas. Don't know what a Canadian gallon is, am not sure of the exact comparison of a liter and a quart and $0.0919 & 91.9 seem a bit off to me. :)

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
When I was a kid our gas used to be sold in gallons.
US or Imperial? I'm not sure. But what I remember is my dad pulling his 66 Biscayne into the full serve gas station and asking for (add Newfie accent) tree dallars regular....not sure how much that put in the tank but enough to drive that barge around for a couple of days......

BHA43

Reaction score
I graduated in 1974 gas was .35-.40 I think. 64 Valiant /6 stick would go a long time on 5 bucks. but bailing hay @ $1.50 an hour it took a while to make that 5 bucks!

Last edited:
Back