Gas: How Low Can It Go?

alf44

Reaction score
in 1983 it was a buck. i remember in 1976 it hit .49 cents,lol i started driving in 83 when 15 bucks filled up my valaint /6

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
in 1983 it was a buck. i remember in 1976 it hit .49 cents,lol i started driving in 83 when 15 bucks filled up my valaint /6

The good old days......if only that were the case now.
Mind you the way things are now I sure get a chuckle when I'm filling up beside a yaris....

compubert

Reaction score
I remember .36 when i use to dirt bike as a kid
I remember the old man taking the whole family (read joyride) from Daytona to Barberville because they were having a gas war there and went in a 455 Pontiac Bonneville, because the gasoline was 35cents/gal - probably burned most of it on the way (120+) back.. :)

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Finally did the below a buck dip here for the schmegular

2014-12-15 17.56.27-1.jpg

The good stuff is $1.19

2014-12-15 17.56.27-1.jpg

greymouser7

Reaction score
One time I wanted to see how 100 low-lead aviation fuel would run in my 1974 Road Runner. The pump at the air-port runs different than at the gas station. I did not know exactly how full my gas tank was, and I thought that I was just 'topping it off'. I ended up filling up 14 gallons at over $5 a gallon. Man did it seem more alive and responsive. More experienced minds tell me otherwise. I only had a few bucks left till the next payday.

I went and ate some Chinese food, and then went to the movies and watched the newer dukes of hazard to see daisy and the charger as planned. I was SOOO pumped up, I drove 150 mph on the way home. No one died, it was a good day.

I like AV gas, but the books and the web talk about paraffin clogging up your combustion chamber.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Never have tried that stuff in one of my cars.
Wonder what the Caravelle's slant would run like with some of that??

greymouser7

Reaction score
If you had to have AV gas, the lead would lube stuff up and you would not have detonation, but the high-carbon build is THE REASON that the FAA mandates a specific-limited hours of use rebuild time on aviation prop/combustion engines.
I would counter ill effects with a can of SEAFOAM.
It would be better to try other alternatives.
Here where I am it's E-85 (105 octane), 93 with ethanol, 91 'marine' gas -it does not have ethanol.
The 74 Road Runner had max compression in it and was built around the time that the ethanol blends were becoming common place.

The only reason to use any of this stuff is if you needed more octane for a higher compression engine, for a protective octane coverage of detonation-risk in a super-charged application {running lean} or for me, I decided from my experience, that I will not run ethanol gas in my road runner/lawn mower in order to save carburetor gaskets and ethanol-blending with water and rusting out gas tanks, fuel lines...

Last edited:

compubert

Reaction score
Never have tried that stuff in one of my cars.
Wonder what the Caravelle's slant would run like with some of that??
You can really crank the timing ahead on AvGas, used to run it when I went to the Sat night drags with my 1970 LS9 350 Chev pickup. No one came close to beating her. You definitely will have to change plugs out after running it cause the lead fouls the insulators, hence dual magnetos on aircraft, when one plug fouls you have another to help burn it. TBO on aircraft mostly was about making sure they stayed in the air when you went up, you weren't supposed to come down till you were ready.... ;-)

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
You can really crank the timing ahead on AvGas, used to run it when I went to the Sat night drags with my 1970 LS9 350 Chev pickup. No one came close to beating her. You definitely will have to change plugs out after running it cause the lead fouls the insulators, hence dual magnetos on aircraft, when one plug fouls you have another to help burn it. TBO on aircraft mostly was about making sure they stayed in the air when you went up, you weren't supposed to come down till you were ready.... ;-)

I'm afraid.....

Back