getting rid of bird poop etching?

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
my car sat outside for several of years before i got it and sits outside now as i live in a townhouse development surrounded by trees therefore bird shit is a constant annoyance. tried washing the car and really rubbing in but the stain is still there. the trunk is polka dotted with doo doo stains. i've seen people saying you can wet sand them off but this kinda frightens me as i think its just gonna scratch the paint off. i might have a polisher but its a big might. any help?

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Wet sand and buff is the only way to remove them. If you just buff they will show up more.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Old Iron is right. It's etched into the paint and just buffing will get you shiny etchings and they'll more obvious. Use the finest abrasive that will do the job. I'd start with 2000 and only if necessary, try 1500 and then finish with 2000 to remove the 1500 scratches, then polish and buff. Be careful, it's very easy to sand through to the basecoat (if it's got base/clear) or to the primer if it's single stage paint, before you realize it's happened. Not sure how I know that...........:oops:

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
Old Iron is right. It's etched into the paint and just buffing will get you shiny etchings and they'll more obvious. Use the finest abrasive that will do the job. I'd start with 2000 and only if necessary, try 1500 and then finish with 2000 to remove the 1500 scratches, then polish and buff. Be careful, it's very easy to sand through to the basecoat (if it's got base/clear) or to the primer if it's single stage paint, before you realize it's happened. Not sure how I know that...........:oops:
thats what makes me nervous. i'm new to driving and all and i don't wanna mess this car up and need a repaint. but i'll try and see what happens. wish me luck

Aspen500

Reaction score
Use plenty of water and you can add a tiny bit of dish soap too. Block sand a little, dry it off and check, sand a litle more, dry it off, etc. If you have to start with 1500, go until the blemish is almost gone then switch to 2000. Patience is the key!:cool:

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
Use plenty of water and you can add a tiny bit of dish soap too. Block sand a little, dry it off and check, sand a litle more, dry it off, etc. If you have to start with 1500, go until the blemish is almost gone then switch to 2000. Patience is the key!:cool:
thanks

Back