Going junkyarding today rear disc brakes

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I say lots of pictures with commentary or a video would be nice.
BudW

79blueghost

Reaction score
Went to pull apart today to get my rear disc set off of a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee or a ZJ took the rear axles out of the rearend took the brake caliper brackets off and calipers and rotors. The axles are held in with c clips. The total amount for parts was 110.56.
20181110_174257.jpg

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Is it a 8 1/4 axle assembly that the parts came from?

Raff

Reaction score
Lots of pics and details would be great.

Mopar Action magazine just did a two part rear disc conversion story recently. I think they used Jeep Liberty parts.

80mirada

Reaction score
Mine came off of a 96 Grand Cherokee Dana 35 iirc. A light grinding on the center bore of the bracket is all it took for them to go on my 8.25. Liberty brakes shouldn't require the grinding

79blueghost

Reaction score
Yes it was a 8.25. I am wondering if the axles out of that rear end will work in mine with the carrier if it was a SG.

Mr C

Reaction score
Lots of pics and details would be great.

Mopar Action magazine just did a two part rear disc conversion story recently. I think they used Jeep Liberty parts.
That article was for the 8.75 diff...that's all they care about in those magazines.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I've been into mopars for 35 years this forum is the only place I've seen that a 8 1/4 axle was worth concittering in a performance aplacation. The 8 3/4 is the standard performance axle for mopar unless your making serious power then it's the Dana 60.......
I have scraped and given away LS 8 1/4s, there's no value in them in these parts.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The ’96 Grand Cherokee (’93-98 ZJ) either uses a Dana 35 or a Dana 44 rear differential (the only two choices) – and both are nothing like an 7¼” or 8¼” Chrysler differential.

The Dana 35 has an almost round cover and ring gear is 7.5” (191 mm)
D35 gasket.jpg

Dana 44 has a square looking cover and ring gear is 8.5” (216 mm)
D44 gasket.jpg

I do not “know” enough about either the Dana 35 or 44 to know if the end flanges are the same as the FMJ differential end flanges are. Pictures show an offset 4-bolt flange – that looks like might match the 5-bolt flange that Chrysler uses – but I do not know for sure.

I do know the Jeep differential housings are the same if using drum or disk brakes – so this flange would be the same on all Jeep ZJ’s, as well.
This is a picture of a 10” rear drum backing plate that fits ’93-98 ZJ (Grand Cherokee’s). I hadn’t looked at the ’99-04 WJ’s to see if any differences there, yet.
4713368 ZJ.jpg

The yellow circle would be where the fifth stud is located at on FMJ's.

This is a gasket that shares the same outline of the flange that FMJ’s use. The flat part goes to the top.
8.75 A gaskets.jpg

I’m eager to see pictures to see how this works out – for this might be a big plus for us (. . . or a big minus).

Some of the Grand Cherokees use an aluminum differential housing (Dana 44) – which I think would be fun to play around with (to reduce the un-sprung weight – for road racing) – but not going out of my way to look for one.
BudW

80mirada

Reaction score
I have already done this swap, the bolt pattern is the same. The center hole may need some light sanding/grinding to fit the housing.

View attachment 12265 View attachment 12266

I cut away the dust shields, but left the park brake portion. The center bore needs to be slightly enlarged, I used a grinding stone on a die grinder, and the bolt holes needed a little bit of clean up. this is such an easy swap I recommend it for everyone. The jeep I got this set from was pretty clapped out.

View attachment 12265

View attachment 12266

View attachment 12267 View attachment 12268

Semi-complete rear, used 3.91 gears with a limited slip, most of the Jeep brake swap, and a 7290 yoke off a 4x4 Dakota, bolted to '85 Diplomat 5 leaf cop springs, with Firm Feel Iso-delete kit and poly bushings.

View attachment 12267

View attachment 12268

79blueghost

Reaction score
This is my first swap and I am learning as I go I don't know the specifics other than what I've seen already on YouTube and from what I've seen at other people that have done this swap.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I'm intrested in this swap it should fit the 8 3/4 and Dana also.
Do you have the Jeep rotor diameter?

80mirada

Reaction score
Chrysler eliminated the bottom bolt at some point, but did not change the pattern or the gasket. If you grab a brake set from a Liberty they have replaceable pad slide guides, which are nice.

I still need to finish hooking them up..... maybe spring

80mirada

Reaction score
The brackets have to be modified on 8.75 and Dana 60 of stock bearings are used for adjuster clearance. The jeep rotors are 11.2" x 2.3" nonvented

80mirada

Reaction score
Yep, I had everything mocked up with the wheels on, I pulled the calipers off to rebuild and coat, but they are still in their parts tray waiting for me.

Back