got offered a 440 from a motorhome

slant6billy

Reaction score
Some guy and his son stopped me while strokin' the mopar. They asked if I would take a look at a 460 in a motorhome down the street from my neighborhood. I said, " Not really into Fords." He insisted it is a Dodge. So I'm betting on a 440, since a lot of those were crammed into motorhomes 30 years ago. Some even with an early gearvenders overdrive unit. Keep your fingers crossed folks. I figure the magic number is 200 dollars- If I yank the motor. He is offering the trans for. Just think a bigblock and OD 727........... lottery

Greg55_99

Reaction score
Many years ago (1978), I got a deal on a motorhome engine. A 413 to be exact. Less than 2000 miles on it. Things I learned after getting it. Motorhome engines are strange beasts. Some of them have cams that turn backwards and heads that need a unique water pump housing. After tearing it down, the ONLY items I kept were the block with caps, crank and rods. EVERYTHING else (even the oil pump) got ditched for used 440 items. I should’a just got a car 440….

Play at your own risk…

Greg

76CinnamonRT

Reaction score
Many years ago (1978), I got a deal on a motorhome engine. A 413 to be exact. Less than 2000 miles on it. Things I learned after getting it. Motorhome engines are strange beasts. Some of them have cams that turn backwards and heads that need a unique water pump housing. After tearing it down, the ONLY items I kept were the block with caps, crank and rods. EVERYTHING else (even the oil pump) got ditched for used 440 items. I should’a just got a car 440….

Play at your own risk…

Greg

Indeed and very very very low compression pistons...

BHA43

Reaction score
Some had angled spark plugs like a small block, both big & small tapered plugs
instead of washer ed!

efriedrich

Reaction score
Big motors are a hassle to make fit and there are a lot less aftermarket than for the small blocks.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
???What do they run a 3 gear system or sumthin???

I think I have an old motorhome shop manual I'll have to look!
A HD 361 or 413 which was usually in a truck or motorhome aplication.

Limited availability WHILE SUPPLIES LAST only!! Offered here is a refurbished factory Chrysler original gear drive setup. Great for correct Power Wagon restorations... These were used on HD truck 361 and 413's up until 1971. Because both gears directly drive each other, they require a reverse rotation camshaft, as well as a reverse rotation intermediate shaft. The Chrysler part #'s for these are: crank gear: 1851996, cam gear 1859722.

1001035.jpg

slant6billy

Reaction score
I had not gotten a chance to go look at it yet, but I found an old WB motorhome in a junkyard 2 years ago. The thing was clean for 30 years old. The yard guy called it a "pusher" 440. I thought perhaps the motor was mounted backwards after the rear wheels with an inverted rear diff. But I do agree, the bigblocks are alot of work to cram into an F body. Plus $$ to make them give back power to excuse their extra weight. The new Hemi 5.7, 6.1 , 392, and new 426 are even lighter than the LA or Magnums as well throw ooooodles of power. Power to weight ratio is pretty dam good.

Back