Gotta sadly drive the 5th today

M Body General Discussion

1. kingoftooland

kingoftooland Active Member

In Michigan we’re getting pounded by snow really bad this morning I clear my car off roughly 30 minutes ago and it’s already coded again I got to drive cross town with the old fifth Avenue let’s hope the old girl still up to the task for not driving in the winter like this for close to 35 years

image.jpg

2. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

At least we're not the only one's getting dumped on (WI)! I'm sure your car will be OK in the snow but, what about the salt?:eek:

3. Ele115

Ele115 Well-Known Member

Nooooo !!! Don't do it !! Uber or something !!!!

4. Ele115

Ele115 Well-Known Member

I'll come pick you up, I should be there Tuesday afternoon. LOL

53ryder likes this.
  5. kingoftooland

Good thing about working at the shop I work at is we have a car wash next-door so she gets washed quite often I did OK but trying to pull in the driveway off the main road 15 mile out in Sterling Heights I did get her stuck

6. IndieDippy

IndieDippy Well-Known Member

i daily my car. an M ain't really a collector car and all you gotta do is wash it after the salt is gone. luckily snow ain't bad in Maryland but we still use road salt but cars can last pretty long until the rust shows up.

The Director and kingoftooland like this.
  7. The Director

The Director Member

Here in NJ the snow sucks. Sometimes they oversalt the highways, and the snow expected doesn't even fall. I avoid this problem sometimes by taking backroads if it isn't far out of my way.

Having a power washer on hand would definitely help. I'm just curious how often I'd have to keep washing out the undercarriage to prevent the rust issues.

One time in the snow, I started drifting a bit, just because there was a nice empty area to have some fun. Gotta take the positives of these things sometimes.

8. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

My ’86 Fifth Ave does pretty good on snow and ice. The 2.2 differential ratio has a lot to do with it, I think (not enough power to spin the wheels much).

My ’97 Dodge ¾ ton pickup diesel (2*4) is the worst thing to drive in bad weather (or in mud). Too much weight on the front tires and nothing over the rears. I would have to fill the bed heaping full of firewood to get anything that resembles traction.
    BudW

9. The Director

The Director Member

Yeah, doing things like burnouts and whatever probably don't really happen on dry ground with good tires. I think I only get mine to slide around as much as it does is because of the worn out tires on it. (I have to replace them probably about next week.)

10. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

My winter vehicle, '96 Dakota 2WD, is useless in snow with all season tires, it gets stuck on 1/4" of snow. If you did get moving, you can't stop or turn. With the dedicated winter tires on (Firestone Winterforce) it does pretty darn good, including stopping and turning.

11. kingoftooland

yea the tires I got on it I got last summer I think their the toyo extenza's I got them because of the white stripe but meh soon I am building a new motor for it because I want to take it to this years mopar nationals n if my budget allows it I am getting 255/60/15's in the rear n 235/60/15's in the front

12. lowbudget

lowbudget Well-Known Member

I'm running studded mud and snows on the rear of mine. That and 200 lbs of sand in the trunk for weight. It does alright. It's my beater so I just run it through the automatic car wash as it washes the undercarrige. The tires were like new off my Diplomat. I just had them restudded.
    If it gets real bad I drive my 4X4 95 Cummins. I just put new tires on it and have 500 lbs of weight over the rear axle.