Great rust removing product...Evaporust

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I went to three different O'Rielly's to score one gallon of Evaporust from each..I had a half gallon so 3 and 1/2 galllons in a homer bucket then three of the bumper shocks and one set of Proto impact sockets in for soaking...by late this afternoon I took a couple out to show you the results..you should be able to see them very easy...This stuff works great....does not harm the good metal nor you hands....it cost about 20 bucks a gallon retail

IMG00377-20101214-1249.jpg

IMG00378-20101214-1628.jpg

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Test piece

This rusty z-bar went in the bucket last night...we will see how well it does with one day of soaking...I keep a piece of plastic covering the bucket with a bungie cord securing it to prevent evaporation of the product...

IMG00194-20110302-2211.jpg

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I told you it works...overnight soak

After I took it out with my bare hands and wiped it down with a cloth this is what it looks like after a day in the bucket...on the last pictue you can see some deeper rusty pits...that's why it went back in for another night...

IMG00200-20110303-2034.jpg

IMG00199-20110303-2034.jpg

IMG00198-20110303-2033.jpg

The good part about it is how safe it is for your hands...will not harm plastic..rubber or clean metal..if you don't rinse it off with water it creates a rust barrior that's good for one week...

ramenth

Reaction score
What's the prep work needed for paint? How's it work on bare sheetmetal? Is there a dilution? I ask because I use PPG's DX579

PPGDX579Q.JPG

I buy it by the gallon from my local paint supply store. Mixes 2:1 with water. I've used unmixed it for dunking small parts and diluted for prepping sheetmetal as an acid etch when there might be small very, very small rusting (like on GM's with crow's feet lacquer).

Any one used 'em both? I'd like to know how they compare.

PPGDX579Q.JPG

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
What's the prep work needed for paint? How's it work on bare sheetmetal? Is there a dilution? I ask because I use PPG's DX579

View attachment 270

I buy it by the gallon from my local paint supply store. Mixes 2:1 with water. I've used unmixed it for dunking small parts and diluted for prepping sheetmetal as an acid etch when there might be small very, very small rusting (like on GM's with crow's feet lacquer).

Any one used 'em both? I'd like to know how they compare.
Once you remove it all you need to do is rinse with clean water and let dry...I would always follow with some kind of degreaser...it does not remove grease...MEK or lacquer thinner...then prime and paint....no dilution...it continues to work until it becomes totally saturated with rust particles so as long as I keep the bucket covered with plastic to keep it from evaporating I should be good for about a year or so...I have never used it to etch metal...it says on the container that is does not effect the good metal...

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Removing rust has never been easier!

www.evporust.com

Evapo-rust rust remover

[SIZE=-1]EVAPO-RUST is an amazing award winning rust REMOVER which is utilized by the U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, U.S. Air Force, FBI, NATO, Government Contractors, Engine Builders, Auto Enthusiasts, Gunsmiths, Forensic Labs, OEM’s, Farmers, Antique Restorers and more. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]EVAPO-RUST is non-corrosive to steel and does not harm brass, copper, aluminum, gold, lead, titanium, steel, cast iron, chrome, solder points, vinyl, plastic, rubber, silicone, glass, cork, or wood. EVAPO-RUST has an indefinite shelf life* and can be used over and over until it absolutely stops working. On average, one gallon de-rusts up to 300 pounds of light to moderately rusted steel.[/SIZE]

Evapo-rust is easy to use

[SIZE=-1]EVAPO-RUST is easy to use. Fully immerse the rusted item in EVAPO-RUST and check progress in about 30 minutes; no scrubbing necessary. Soak times will vary from 30 minutes to 24 hours depending on severity of rust, type of steel, and temperature. EVAPO-RUST is water based, therefore the active molecules will slow down as temperature decreases and increase as temperature increases. We recommend utilizing EVAPO-RUST at a bath temperature above 60° F.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]EVAPO-RUST has a surfactant to aid in penetrating oils and dirt. However, surface contaminants do slow the process and can shorten the life of EVAPO-RUST . Oils, greases and cosmoline should be removed prior to de-rusting. Cleaning the part prior to soaking in EVAPO-RUST will also help in the disposal of the spent product.[/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]YES, EVEN MOTORCYCLE GAS TANKS[/FONT]
[SIZE=-1]You can use Evapo-Rust to remove the rust from a gas tank in one of two ways described below, depending on if your tank is still attached or has been removed:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]1) Completely fill the tank with Evapo-Rust and allow to sit for 2 – 4 hours. Drain completely and rinse well with water. Air dry and fill with gasoline immediately to eliminate flash rust.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]2) Pour in 1 gallon of Evapo-Rust and rotate gas tank every hour until the rust has been removed. Drain completely and rinse well with water. Air dry and fill with gasoline immediately to eliminate flash rust.[/SIZE]
-----------------------
NOTE:[SIZE=-1] Althought Evapo-rust rust remover is designed to be a soak, it can be utilized in certain situations as a spray. Click here to view how a chassis was de-rusted using Evapo-Rust as a spray to de-rust a chassis.[/SIZE]

gallonblack.jpg

Last edited:

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
2nd day results...

After the second day of soaking everything looked great...rust out of the pits..it will leave pits behind where the rust used to be...look at the nut at the end...yesterday it had rust on it..now it is gone..I rinse it off with water and will prime it on Sunday..

IMG00209-20110304-2108.jpg

IMG00210-20110304-2108.jpg

Remember I told you about plastic and rubber and such...no harm done...

IMG00211-20110304-2110.jpg

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
Ok , now for the dumb question . Since I read it can be used on sheet metal . How about the trouble areas on a car panel ? Paint/spray it on and wait ?

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Ok , now for the dumb question . Since I read it can be used on sheet metal . How about the trouble areas on a car panel ? Paint/spray it on and wait ?

NOTE:[SIZE=-1] Althought Evapo-rust rust remover is designed to be a soak, it can be utilized in certain situations as a spray. Click here to view how a chassis was de-rusted using Evapo-Rust as a spray to de-rust a chassis.[/SIZE]

77RTNJ

Reaction score
I think that will work well in the areas that have creases and are hard to get tools into to remove the rust. And if you do as he did and add a rust converter afterwards, rust should be gone for good.

Kevin

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Heres some more proof that it works

These parts had heavy rust on them..I soaked them for three days...got all five pieces in the 5 gallon buck but the trany crossmember stuck out of the solution on one end..but look how rusty it is...the others were just the same..one more night and they will be ready to be primed on Saturday..

IMG00376-20110324-2232.jpg

miradacmx

Reaction score
Great article thanks for the post. I am repainting the ol red mirada and have to do some door and frame work. im going to give it a shot. I sell it so i know it works, but never thought of doing that! This pic isnt my car but the exact CMX once it gets painted. We are in primer yesterday!

mirada2011.jpg

Back