Hello everyone, Interior color dilemma help needed!

What should I do with my Diplomat's interior color?

• Total voters

The Diplomat

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a dilemma and thought this would be the best place for advice! I have a 1979 Dodge Diplomat 2-dr in not so beautiful Teal on Teal. It's rather disgusting looking in my opinion. I have the entire interior out of the car as I need to replace the headliner (which is not available in teal), the carpet and the heater core (the leaking heater core caused the passenger side carpet to rot out, floor is safe!).

I don't like the teal and would prefer to change the color. The other issue is that I am very likely to sell the car when it is completed as I would prefer a 4 door (don't hear that often!). I thought changing it to the darkish blue interior would look good and I would choose that color personally but as I said I will most likely be selling the car. Another good candidate color would be black as most people seem to like black interiors and it would match very well with the teal exterior.

The interior is in great shape as the car only has 167,000 km on it or roughly 100K miles. I could just leave it teal if I could find the headliner material in teal, not having much luck on that. The carpet is available so no issues there.

I have asked this question on another forum in the form of a "poll" question (not sure if I can mention the other form, but it sounds similar to mopar, but not All will get it, hint hint).

So, my question to everyone is, what color should I change the interior to; Blue, Black or just leave it original and teal?

Thanks everyone

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Save yourself the grief and leave it teal. An upholstery shop can provide you with the appropriate fabric.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Well lets see...
Black
If you sell it to someone in the southern United states, black is hot in the summer and summer lasts a long time. Black shows every little microbe of dirt. -- not black.

Dark Blue
Guess it depends on the dark blue. The transition from teal to dark blue would be ugly. You'd have to be sure to repaint every spot -- engine bay, inside the a pillar, b pillar, etc. in the trunk, every little place. You will need lots of patience. I don't have that. -- not blue

Teal
Not your favorite color. But you don't plan to keep it, so that is not relevant. Easier to repaint since you don't have to be so precise on the transition areas - engine bay, a pillar, b pillar, etc. You can soften the teal-in-your-face by spending the same coin on upgrading the upholstery and interior. Put in a darker teal headliner or go with white. Change seats to mostly white or cream with teal highlights. -- use teal.

Guess it depends on your pocketbook and patience. Both of mine are in short supply just now.

JW

Hayzoos

Reaction score
I voted Blue. Because I like Blue. Like Justwonerding said, It will be a lot of work. There is a funny thing about headliners, when they are up where they belong, they are not very noticeable. As long as they do not stand out like a sore thumb they are sorta invisible. People seldom look up at them unless there is a reason to.

armataz

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a dilemma and thought this would be the best place for advice! I have a 1979 Dodge Diplomat 2-dr in not so beautiful Teal on Teal. It's rather disgusting looking in my opinion. I have the entire interior out of the car as I need to replace the headliner (which is not available in teal), the carpet and the heater core (the leaking heater core caused the passenger side carpet to rot out, floor is safe!).

I don't like the teal and would prefer to change the color. The other issue is that I am very likely to sell the car when it is completed as I would prefer a 4 door (don't hear that often!). I thought changing it to the darkish blue interior would look good and I would choose that color personally but as I said I will most likely be selling the car. Another good candidate color would be black as most people seem to like black interiors and it would match very well with the teal exterior.

The interior is in great shape as the car only has 167,000 km on it or roughly 100K miles. I could just leave it teal if I could find the headliner material in teal, not having much luck on that. The carpet is available so no issues there.

I have asked this question on another forum in the form of a "poll" question (not sure if I can mention the other form, but it sounds similar to mopar, but not All will get it, hint hint).

So, my question to everyone is, what color should I change the interior to; Blue, Black or just leave it original and teal?

Thanks everyone
I found something that makes a great headliner, and is paintable. it is fiberglass reinforced paneling. 4X8 sheets and you just trim to fit.no more press board sagging or cloth bubbling and pealing. home depot or any big box home repair store will carry it I took my aspens old liner out smashed it flat and used it for a rough pattern. you might need a heat gun or a hair drier to help mold the corners in.

Justwondering

Reaction score
armataz --- really ???
do you have pictures???

way cool.... I can try that in the LeBaron....
pictures please??

JW

armataz

Reaction score
armataz --- really ???
do you have pictures???

way cool.... I can try that in the LeBaron....
pictures please??

JW
it aint a very good one. but here is something to give an idea. you might see it in places they need to easily clean and disinfect. hospitals, kitchens, restrooms, hotel lobby's ect. it has a light texture to it also.
1653528112919.png

Last edited:

Justwondering

Reaction score
awesome cool.
I could form fit it with a heat gun, remove it, cover it with contact cement and my foam backed lining. Glue some insulation to the backside and shove it all back in.
Very nice.
Will definitely try on the LeBaron... That headliner is hanging low low low.

thanks for the photos

JW

armataz

Reaction score
I will try to get a picture of what a sheet looks like next time I'm picking up supplies. I do home repairs for a living
awesome cool.
I could form fit it with a heat gun, remove it, cover it with contact cement and my foam backed lining. Glue some insulation to the backside and shove it all back in.
Very nice.
Will definitely try on the LeBaron... That headliner is hanging low low low.

thanks for the photos

JW
your welcome. theres more pics of my aspen wagon, in my hello from oregon thread, just a few posts down from this one.
you could do all that, but thats more work then needed.
this would fit just like a modern cars headliner. you could just glue your sound deadener/insolation to the roof. the dome light, interior head rails and visors will hold it in place and even help form it. and like I mentioned it is textured and paintable so no lining ( to come loose later as the foam breakes down) is necessary either.
you could litterally prep it, paint it and just install it once using the heat gun mainly to shape the corner pockets.

Last edited:

armataz

Reaction score
you will need a good set of shears, and you will want to fit it larger. then you need, just incase. it is easier to trim a lil more off, then glue it back together LOL
the trick to all things is dont get in a rush. it is basically fiberglass re enforced plastic. so it is pretty easy to work with.

The Diplomat

Reaction score
Thanks for all who voted, looks like leaving it teal has won. I did pick up some white leather bucket seats out of a '93 Lebaron convertible and they actually look good with the white vinyl quarter top, breaks up the teal! Here are some pics of the car, finally got it back on its wheels and the rear bumper & taillights back in. Oh, and last weekend I picked up a '78 2 door Lebaron parts car! You'll understand why when you see the trunk lid, I had the rear bumper, taillights, etc off because I thought there might be more body damage but luckily there wasn't. A little perplexed as to what happened to the trunk lid though, oh well have a good brown one to put on now.

IMG_1304.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

IMG_1277.JPG

Back