Hemi 265 Straight 6

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not a Jeep expert (nor even owned one). I can say I have ridden one a couple of times.

I believe the 4.2L Jeep engine is AMC design (using parts from GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc.). I’ve heard the 4.0L is more of a Chrysler design (not piecemeal like the 3.8L is) – but not confirmed.

I hadn’t heard the /6 and 4.0L are related – but I’ve seen both bare blocks together and all kinds of light bulbs went off in my head.

I still think the 4.0L (245 ci.) Jeep engine looks awful lot like the 245 ci Aussie Mope engine, shown in first two postings. It might be camera lighting and/or my dirty glasses, if I’m incorrect (which I might be).

Now I do know the /6 uses the same timing chain and rear main seal as the big block (and possibly the lifters - but nothing else).

BudW

Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
The 4.0L Aussie Hemi is probably one of the most powerful 6's around, whats a modern N/A getting for power these days, are any getting 400+ HP at the fly wheel? (do have to be careful of gross and SAE net HP ratings here)

Today they have all this fancy electronic injection, alloy heads, high swirl port head design, high compression ratio, over head cam etc so in theory a modern engine should be far superior engine in output.

Whats a 5.7 hemi rated at, 345hp?

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hemi 265 head, I suspect this head has been ported seeing the scribe lines on the heads

HemiHead6.jpg

HemiHead1.jpg

Last edited:

hemijoe

Reaction score
the 245 and 265 engine of chrysler austrailia are not hemio engines they are polly spherical and are hemi in name only they have nothing in common to a real hemi the same as the new 5.7 6.1 and 6.4 V8 they are called hemis nut they are not

hemijoe

Reaction score
I am not a Jeep expert (nor even owned one). I can say I have ridden one a couple of times.

I believe the 4.2L Jeep engine is AMC design (using parts from GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc.). I’ve heard the 4.0L is more of a Chrysler design (not piecemeal like the 3.8L is) – but not confirmed.

I hadn’t heard the /6 and 4.0L are related – but I’ve seen both bare blocks together and all kinds of light bulbs went off in my head.

I still think the 4.0L (245 ci.) Jeep engine looks awful lot like the 245 ci Aussie Mope engine, shown in first two postings. It might be camera lighting and/or my dirty glasses, if I’m incorrect (which I might be).

Now I do know the /6 uses the same timing chain and rear main seal as the big block (and possibly the lifters - but nothing else).

BudW

the 245 jeep engine was built totaly by rambler back in the early 60's and was used in the ambasitors and reblel platforms and all the rambler wagons the 232 6 was built by AMC for the hornet line and gremlins

Last edited:
Back