Hemi advice and parts wanted!

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have acquired a VERY unusual engine in NZ! Not a 5.7 but a 6.1 hemi!!!

Everyone loves a hemi!!!

So I have block and heads, engine was missing push rods, some valves, valve covers, coils and intake manifold. I have bought these bits on eBay and Craigslist.

Now to run the thing, anyone got any ideas, I know of megasquirt anyone else got any ideas, seems the throttle body is drive by wire :confused: parts, ecm, looms or parts I may need.

Also I am not sure what to do with it but since I am die hard Mopar man I couldn't let this 6.1 go by!! Will it fit in doba? :D:rolleyes:

Thanks
Bruce

Last edited:

Joe12459

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have acquired a VERY unusual engine in NZ! Not a 5.7 but a 6.1 hemi!!!

Everyone loves a hemi!!!

So I have block and heads, engine was missing push rods, some valves, valve covers, coils and intake manifold. I have bought these bits on eBay and Craigslist.

Now to run the thing, anyone got any ideas, I know of megasquirt anyone else got any ideas, seems the throttle body is drive by wire :confused: parts, ecm, looms or parts I may need.

Also I am not sure what to do with it but since I am die hard Mopar man I couldn't let this 6.1 go by!! Will it fit in doba? :D:rolleyes:

Thanks
Bruce
It will fit in the 'doba! I ran the Hotwire Electric harness in my Hemi Mirada, and it works great.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
IMG-20191207-WA0002.jpeg

Picked up block today

Duke5A

Reaction score
The good news: aftermarket support for this is awesome! The bad news: bend over, a lot of the parts you need are going to have to be imported from the States, and are expensive even here. Looks like $2k USD in electronics alone and this isn't including any sensors you might be missing or electronic gauges/gauge adapters to boot. Between fuel system, exhaust, motor bits you're missing, probably $6k USD in parts without any machine work. What's the import taxes look like?

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Basically rule of thumb is double USD price and that's what I pay in NZD so I pay double! Life sucks a kumara for USA cars parts in NZ :mad:

Duke5A

Reaction score
So, a realistic $15k for 425HP and 420 ft/lbs. If you're after the cool factor, sure, Hemi all the way. If you're being pragmatic then you can squeeze that out of a 360 with a set of head and a decent cam.....but it would be damn cool and you'll most certainly have a one-of-a-kind in NZ.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
If your planning on leaving the 6.1 stock I'd stick with the stroker but if turbos are involved with power levels of say 600 + hp that only leaves one standing.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
There have been a few members here who has gone through the trouble to install a Gen 3 Hemi into an FMJ.
I think the more famous forum member here is @Joe12459.718 Joe12459's Photo Garages | For FMJ Bodies Only .
He even has a writeup in a magazine or two.

Look in our Engine Swaps Engine Swaps section for details as well.

The Gen 3 Hemi can be expensive but once done, will be mostly trouble free.

Using a donor cars computer system (and accessories, etc.) is one option – but I don’t think there will be that many Hemi equipped cars there to choose from.
The second option would be to convert engine to a carburetor (will still need electronics to run the ignition system though).
Third option is to keep engine injected but use a third party for injection/ignition system.

Almost everything in front of the transmission will be different. The transmission could be reused once a flexplate has been determined.

I would read up in the FABO and FBBO forums for those who has done the swap to see what they have to say. More people has installed Hemi’s into A and B bodies than into FMJ’s (I suspect – no actual numbers to verify that).
BudW

80mirada

Reaction score
TTI has headers, otherwise the manifolds for an SRT Grand Cherokee are supposed to fit. there is a swap flexplate for using an LA 727, 904, 500 or 518 trans, and a swap flywheel for A-833s. A compact starter for LA/Magnum v8s work but there is a boss on the driver side of the block it will hit. Milodon makes an oil pan and pickup. The Steering pump can be adapted to work with the stock steering box, or the Borgeson box. The car accessories place the A/C compressor down on the driverside, but that can be dealt with. The standard Alternator for Hemis are 140 amp, so the power cable needs upgraded. Carburetor conversions are ironically expensive. There are a number of different setups for running them with injection, Holley, Mopar, Hotwire, Megasquirt to name a few. there are cable operated throttle bodies, LS throttle body adapters, and aftermarket electronic throttle pedals. Charger/300 radiator hoses can be trimmed to fit small block radiators.

80mirada

Reaction score
The Block to bellhousing bolts are the same as LA and Magnums. Schumacher makes mounts that will work, (usually listed as Late A-body).

kkritsilas

Reaction score
MSD makes an ignition box for the Hemi. They call it the HEMI6, I think. There are people (as stated above) that make carburetor style intake manifolds for the Gen 3 Hemi. There was a magazine article a couple of years back on converting the Gen 3 to a carb setup, to comply with NHRA class requirements that didn't allow for fuel injection.

SRTMirada

Reaction score
If you are going to put it on an engine stand keep in mind that all the fasteners are metric except the bellhousing bolts which are inch.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
In NZ because of this metric and imperial BS every home workshop has both, wish world would make up mind, metric is easy being base 10.

Back