Huge South Dakota Barn Find - Mirada Convertible

Norse

Reaction score
Hey all!
New guy here and all that.
I went to that auction.
People came from as far away as Florida plus they had online/phone bidding. And the selling prices were stupid insane!
That Mirada was a non runner that went for over $1000.
All 3 J bodies (one of which was a Sinatra ed) went for over $1200 and were really rusty.
The "crown jewel" of the auction was a 1970 Super Bee (440 + 6, 4-speed, Go Mango) that sold for North of $40k.
I ended up coming home with a '76 motorhome 440, an antique grain scale, and a set of "Sox & Martin" small block valve covers.

glennb49

Reaction score
Welcome to the fold!! Congrats on your finds what is the 440 going into? Glad to see the Imps will be appreciated and not sold as scrap! They just don't seem to be appreciated! I have admired them since they were new, have owned about 10 over the years, this is my current. One of maybe 50 built in 81 with both the Frank Sinatra package and one year only sun roof!

DSCN2324 (2).JPG

DSCN2323 (2).JPG

Norse

Reaction score
I'm building a rat rod out of what is left of the 1.5 Caddies I have and it will be powered by the 440.
Yeah, I've been looking for an Imp in (relatively) decent shape for some time. I was starting to get desperate that I took the 3200 mile round trip to SD in hopes of getting all 3 Imperials at that auction for pennies (HA!!).
I even tried to acquire one of 24 that popped up on the SoCal Craigslist back in Sept. (I still think it was a scam).
The '81 I am getting has been worth the wait. Turns out it was hiding in a shop only 3 miles from my house.

glennb49

Reaction score
Glad you found your 81, Good to know there is another person who appreciates the timeless beauty of these cars! Is it still injected, color, leather? Ya I was wondering what became of the other 23 Imps out there in SoCal. There probably still sitting out there in the weather! Visited this 81 not too far from me last Saturday, dig the Leopard skin that the former owner added! Last year we got the sun roof panel and the cable is now working in mine!

IMG_4614.jpg

IMG_4616.jpg

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I know that feeling of standing in a field of junkets and having something to smile about.

Norse

Reaction score
Glad you found your 81, Good to know there is another person who appreciates the timeless beauty of these cars! Is it still injected, color, leather? Ya I was wondering what became of the other 23 Imps out there in SoCal. There probably still sitting out there in the weather! Visited this 81 not too far from me last Saturday, dig the Leopard skin that the former owner added! Last year we got the sun roof panel and the cable is now working in mine!

Mine looks to be a cross between "Malaise Brown" and a dark maroon. I haven't looked up the paint code name yet. It has a tan interior.
I'll have pictures to post as soon as I get it home!

Back