Huge South Dakota Barn Find - Mirada Convertible

Duke5A

Reaction score
I guess they found another Mopar hoarder and the cars are going to auction after the guy went legs up. Lots of cool stuff, but what peaked my interest was a convertible Mirada. Is this legit? I didn't think the factory made any of these.

Farm find! Huge hoard of Dodge and Plymouth cars and trucks heading to auction

Lot 193M – 1983 Dodge Mirada Convertible | VanderBrink Auctions

193M_1.jpg
193M_4.jpg
193M_6.jpg
193M_9.jpg

Duke5A

Reaction score
Wow, never knew that. I really want one now. lol.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The Dodge has nice lines, the Chrysler not so much.

Mr C

Reaction score
A lot of pictures of the faux convertible top treatment (which was factory on Miradas and Cordobas) mixed in with genuine convertible conversions. If the rear window is glass, it's a factory fake vert...the true convertible conversions were plastic...and they lost the rear quarter side glass...they also look less finished with the tops up. Here's a pic of a vert conversion with the top up.
2583141489_9792685db0.jpg

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
The Mirada at auction, looks to have the optional vinyl top, not a true convertible. But look at the condition of those fender extensions!

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Back when J's where just old DD's, my buddy had his whole fake vert roof come flying off while on the highway.

There was a Mirada for sale in Northern Alberta that had the same thing happen. The seller had the vinyl roof as one piece to be sold with the car.

My guess is that the butyl mastic (or whatever they used to glue the fiberglass bonnet to the metal roof) gets old, loses adhesion, and the front lip of the faux vinyl roof bonnet gets a little bit of air underneat it, and it turns into a sail and gets blown off.

johnnyride

Reaction score
The original image is called a "Cabriolet Roof" - aka, fake convertible. They made a bunch of those on the Cordoba and Mirada. The Baron Red convertible shown earlier is mine. I've had it for 10 years now. Still finishing up the change over to a white leather interior.

2634068475_43f0085815_b.jpg

johnnyride

Reaction score
I'm also considering switching over to the LS nose, basically making it a 1980 300 Convertible. My car is a 1981. There were about 200 Mirada, Cordoba and Imperial convertibles made by Global Coach in Florida. They did an OK job.

I also had a Mirada convertible that I bought as a parts car. Why a parts car? Here's a pic of how I found it in a junk yard in Maryland. By the time I got it, the nose was gone. I guess he realized it had value before I picked it up. But all in all, I got a lot of great parts and an extra convertible top frame for only $375.

Mirada Vert.jpg

5th avenue Rob

Reaction score
Wow. Never seen the ragtop version.Way better looking than the Gm and Ford offerings of that time. Must have one.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I don't think any of the convertibles were offered by the factory. You bought the car, then you sent it to a third party for conversion.

I am sort of surprised at how many J body convertibles have been turning up.

Back